PLEASE HELP - "Chopped" Date night!! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tag2403

Assistant Cook
I am new to this forum and really need some help. We are getting together with three other couples tomorrow where we will share the food we have made from our baskets of food we received tonight like on the show "Chopped". We don't have a time limit, we are just going to bring what we made. I am not the best at understanding new flavors, can anyone help me?

My basket:
Vienna Sausages
Beets
Green Chilies
Coconut Milk

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Welcome to DC!

Please be patient, not a whole lot of us on line right now, but you should start getting responses tomorrow!

I am new to this forum and really need some help. We are getting together with three other couples tomorrow where we will share the food we have made from our baskets of food we received tonight like on the show "Chopped". We don't have a time limit, we are just going to bring what we made. I am not the best at understanding new flavors, can anyone help me?

My basket:
Vienna Sausages
Beets
Green Chilies
Coconut Milk

Are you allowed to add anything to the basket? Herbs, spices, other veggies and or meat?

My basket:
Vienna Sausages
Beets
Green Chilies
Coconut Milk

Hi and welcome to DC :)

I'm going to assume you can use other pantry and refrigerated items, as on the show. Vienna sausages are lightly spiced small sausages that benefit from quick browning, like in a pan or broiled. Beets have an earthy flavor that not everyone likes. Green chilies (canned?) are relatively mild with a little heat. Coconut milk is pretty mild, too. My husband doesn't like coconut but he does like a curry made with coconut milk.

If you have curry paste, I would make a curry by adding that and other veggies to your basket ingredients and finishing with the coconut milk. Serve over rice - basmati, if you have it.

Do you have to put everything into one dish? Or can you use some of the items as a side dish?

As GG wrote, a curry sounds like a decent idea with this difficult set of ingredients.

I don't have many suggestions except to let my mind drift for each ingredient. I would get those Vienna sausages chopped up and browned to get a new flavor into them. Are the beets canned or raw? The sausages and chilis might work in a taco salad with shredded beets mixed into the veggies and coconut dressing of some sort.
As an aside, are these friends that dreamed up the basket ingredients? I would sure get them back when I get to make up the baskets.

Are you allowed to add anything to the basket? Herbs, spices, other veggies and or meat?

The show, "Chopped", allows other ingredients from the pantry and fridge. They can make different dishes too.

Thank you for the warm welcome and thank you for your words of advice! I was so happy to see your responses this morning! Yes, we are allowed to use other ingredients, but as the host said, the basket ingredients need to be the stars of the dish. The beets are raw and the green chiles are canned. Browning the sausages is very smart! I think that the is curry better than any idea I have thought of!

We exchanged baskets with each other last night. I don't think my basket was quite as eclectic as this one. :)

I think you might be better off doing something with the beets and using them as a garnish, than putting them in the dish. I love beets, but the flavour can easily overwhelm other food, especially if it is cooked together.

OK - here's my take:

Vienna Sausages
Beets
Green Chilies
Coconut Milk

Sausages: Dice or grind up the sausages and mix with some shredded apple and shredded carrot, onion, bread crumbs and a little egg - make a patty and pan fry (sort of like a meat ball).

Make a sauce: Deglaze the sausage pan with some white wine and 2 chopped tomatoes or canned tomato and the canned chili, some cumin, garlic fresh ginger, cracked pepper. Add coconut milk. Consider pureeing this with a stick blender. Add the patties back into sauce. Top with chopped cilantro. Serve w/ a side of basmati rice.

Beet: Make a pickled beet and cucumber salad. Julienne the beets, a little onion and some fresh cukes. Toss with vinegar, a little oil, salt and pepper and some fresh parsley. Serve this as a refreshing side for the sausage patties.

Coconut milk another way: Make a drink. Serve it in a shot glass on the plate. Here are some suggestions:

Coconut Milk, Lime Juice, Sparkling Water
Coconut milk, Black tea, water, sugar, (over ice) Dust rim of glass with shredded coconut
Dessert smoothie: pineapple chunks, coconut milk, ginger and ice cubes (add rum to this and serve it as a cocktail).

Last edited:
You could cook the rice in water and coconut milk.. maybe add some chilis to the rice as well.
The sausage patties is a great idea! Maybe add a little fresh sage
I like the idea of pickled beet and cucumber salad.

I love the idea of making a patty. Also of using the coconut milk in the rice water. Thanks to all!

Back
Top Bottom