KFC style chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, looks brilliant GQ, thanks so much for this recipe...we are going to make it too :)

One question though...where are the list of ingredients...or do I have to guess them from the photos?

Last edited:
Is that a UK site? :angel:

With descriptions like "...bung the chicken" and ..."a draining chooky" it doesn't sound like a USA site :LOL:

I also want to attempt this recipe.

Not sure what this procedure is..."Just bung the skin-on chooky portions in just enough milk to cover, plus a couple of bay leaves, some salt and pepper to season and simmer for 20 mins."

Last edited:
When do you coat the chicken with polenta?

Caslon, can you find an ingredients list?

I have got the Secret Herbs and Spices list, but not for all the ingredients...or the quantities?

http://joblogsjobakes.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/homemade-kfc-the-secret-blend-of-herbs-spices.pdf

This is the list for the spice mix and I just followed the blog instructions for the rest, so it's chicken , milk, egg and flour . I skipped the milk bit though as I used chicken thighs they don't need it . I just dipped them in seasoned flour, then egg, then the spice mix then bunged them in the oven on a high heat, gas Mark 6 .

Lol sorry yes it's a blog by an English girl not everything is American you know !;)

The chooky is the chicken and to bung is to just place something in , so I placed them or bunged them in the oven :)

Kyles if you want to have a go you don't need to be too exact , the main thing is the herbs and spices list I think . I used about 8 chicken thighs .

I mixed the polenta with the herbs and spice mix as its part of the coating to give a bit of crunch .

Yep that's it just salt and pepper , I never measure just a good grind of each ! Just so it's not bland I suppose you could stick your finger in and taste if in doubt .

Yep that's it just salt and pepper , I never measure just a good grind of each ! Just so it's not bland I suppose you could stick your finger in and taste if in doubt .

I am one of those grandmothers who just pours it into the palm of my hand. We had a Cajun cook named Justin. Told some great stories as he was cooking. He would tell you a tsp. of salt, then pour it into the palm of his hand. Then one day to prove to all doubters, he did that and then poured it into a measuring spoon. It was exactly one tsp. And then he did a tbs. That trick comes with years of experience. :angel:

If its baked with just salt and pepper then how is it KFC style?

Jenny.....the "secret spices" are sort of buried in the blog.

Homemade KFC - The Secret Blend of Herbs and Spices
Ingredients
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dried thyme 1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano 1 tbsp celery salt
Method
1 tbsp cracked black pepper
1 tbsp mustard powder
4 tbsp paprika (not the smoked stuff) 2 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp ground ginger

Whisk ingredients together then store in an airtight jar until needed
It should last as long as the minimum use by date on your ingredients (I might keep mine after that, but of course I don't advise you do!)

Last edited:

GQ, I think Caslon is confused by you saying "Yep, just add salt and pepper" when in reality you need to add all of the "secret spices" to the flour and in your case also the "polenta". (If I am not mistaken) Btw is The "polenta" that you use, corn flour or cornmeal? I always think of Polenta as cooked corn flour/cornmeal. ;) i

Last edited:
GQ, I think Caslon is confused by you saying "Yep, just add salt and pepper" when in reality you need to add all of the "secret spices" to the flour and in your case also the "polenta". (If I am not mistaken) Btw is The "polenta" that you use, corn flour or cornmeal? I always think of Polenta as cooked corn flour/cornmeal. ;) i

I'm not confused. Do you not see the flour in the first bowl? That's seasoned flour, not the kfc seasoning mix that's shown in the third bowl (pictured) of her "conveyor belt."

Also, I too have always made my "basic seasoned flour" with just salt and pepper (when cooking chicken fried steaks), yet, when I Google "Seasoned Flour" I see only search results of ppl adding 4 or 5 spices to make basic seasoned flour. :ermm:

None of them say just add salt and pepper to flour, which is what I've always done, and will continue to do. :cool:

Last edited:
No I thought seasoned flour referred to the first coating for the chicken , so seasoned flour is just flour with salt and pepper . The spice mix is the flour with all of the other spices mixed in and that is the last coating . There is a link on the blog to the spice mix .

Cornflour here is different to polenta , so I guess polenta is cornmeal ? It's yellow and fine but more gritty . Cornflour just is white and looks like flour .

Cornflour here is different to polenta , so I guess polenta is cornmeal ? It's yellow and fine but more gritty . Cornflour just is white and looks like flour .
Cornflour that I've bought here is usually called masa harina. As you say, polenta is a more coarsely ground product.

In the photo below, polenta is on the left, cornflour or masa harina on the right:

QIjLc.jpg

When I make corn muffins, it is the grittiness that I hate. So I used to cut it with less corn meal and more flour. Then one day I threw the corn meal into my mini FP and gave it a couple of whirls. Surprise! It really cut down on the grittiness. Now I do it all the time corn meal is called for, like coating. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom