Marble Spice Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aunt Bea

Master Chef
This is a recipe that I got from a local restaurant years ago.

Janet's recent thread about the chocolate marble cake brought it to mind.

I hope you will give it a try!

Marble Spice Cake
2 cups Cake Flour
1/2t Salt
2 t Baking powder
1 cups Granulated sugar
½ cup Crisco
¾ cup Milk
3 Large Eggs
2 t Vanilla

Marble Spices
2 T Molasses
1 t Cinnamon
½ t Ginger
½ t Cloves
½ t Nutmeg

Sift or whisk together dry ingredients and set aside. Cream sugar and Crisco; beat in eggs one at a time. Add dry ingredients alternating with milk as you continue to beat the mixture, add vanilla. Pour 1/3 of the mixture into a prepared 8 inch cake pan; add another 1/3 into a prepared 8 inch cake pan. Sir the marble ingredients into the remaining 1/3 of the batter and drop spoons of the spice mixture into both cake pans at random. Swirl with a knife and place in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20 - 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean and the cake is pulling away from the edge of the pan.

Notes:

This is nice with a maple or mocha flavored frosting.

I like to serve wedges from the individual layers with a piped frosting decoration on each slice. Six slices from each layer for a total of 12 servings. The small amount of frosting on each slice lets the spice mix come through.

I am getting old and lazy so sometimes I use a commercial pound cake mix and just mix up the spice mixture from scratch.

OOh, that sounds great!

When we get back from Maine, I'm sure that I'm going to be in the mood to bake again, and bake fall type items and things like spice cake fit the bill!

This is a recipe that I got from a local restaurant years ago.

Janet's recent thread about the chocolate marble cake brought it to mind.

I hope you will give it a try!

Marble Spice Cake
2 cups Cake Flour
1/2t Salt
2 t Baking powder
1 cups Granulated sugar
½ cup Crisco
¾ cup Milk
3 Large Eggs
2 t Vanilla

Marble Spices
2 T Molasses
1 t Cinnamon
½ t Ginger
½ t Cloves
½ t Nutmeg

Sift or whisk together dry ingredients and set aside. Cream sugar and Crisco; beat in eggs one at a time. Add dry ingredients alternating with milk as you continue to beat the mixture, add vanilla. Pour 1/3 of the mixture into a prepared 8 inch cake pan; add another 1/3 into a prepared 8 inch cake pan. Sir the marble ingredients into the remaining 1/3 of the batter and drop spoons of the spice mixture into both cake pans at random. Swirl with a knife and place in a preheated 350 degree oven for 20 - 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean and the cake is pulling away from the edge of the pan.

Notes:

This is nice with a maple or mocha flavored frosting.

I like to serve wedges from the individual layers with a piped frosting decoration on each slice. Six slices from each layer for a total of 12 servings. The small amount of frosting on each slice lets the spice mix come through.

I am getting old and lazy so sometimes I use a commercial pound cake mix and just mix up the spice mixture from scratch.

Thank YOU! & your secret cheat sheet Aunt Bea.
Spiced cake is my favorite. Have a box that needs a home.
If I have the time today ( have to give my zero to psychotic in 2 seconds foo foo lap puppy a bath and cut today) should be an interesting day. Hope my fingers make it.

I'm going to try it instead of the usual baking in the oven, use my new bread machine with your recipe. So far every cake made in it has turned out perfectly. Will let you know how it turns out.

Munky.

Aunt Bea,

I meant to post an update for you yesterday. Life had me busy all day.

That had to be one of the best spice cakes I've ever had. My husband and sons all agreed on that to. Asked if your recipe could be rated? To which I replied "Well yeah!" Give it the best one available please. So I did.

Making it in the bread maker was a challenge. It didn't mix the batter well.
Still doable. I did it. Just had to adjust the cooking time.

Hubby loved that extra swirl mix recipe of yours. Spice cake is his favorite to. He mentioned that swirl mix put it well over the top. We've never had a spice cake like that one before. He wants another one today. This time maybe instead of the vanilla from a can frosting I'll try your maple. Your recipe has been copied and saved. :yum:

Thank you.

Munky.

Oh, P.S. the cake didn't make it through the night.
So much for my planned breakfast of champions. Spice cake and coffee.
Better luck next time.

This sounds great. My oldest grandson is a fall child in everyway, Born in November he loves the fall foods, pumpkin, cinnamon. nutmeg. I will have to make it when he is coming over. Thanks Aunt bea.

Back
Top Bottom