The Nagano Pork Chop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I see that they are available at IGA. I'll have a look. I don't know that I want to spend that much for a pork chop, but I might be curious enough, especially if I can get a small package.

I see that they are available at IGA. I'll have a look. I don't know that I want to spend that much for a pork chop, but I might be curious enough, especially if I can get a small package.

Just buy two small ones and have a date night supper with hubby. If there is such a thing as "small" for these chops. :angel:

IGA is not a big deal around here. If there are some stores they are relatively small local markets.

I took a peak at the group's website. These pigs are being produced at commercial farms. Although they claim to feed them higher quality feed, I couldn't find any information on the conditions in which the pigs are kept. What I did find was the marketing speak was good. I used to buy 1/2 a pig from my neighbour. These pigs were fed high-quality feed, spent time outdoors, and were happy pigs. The pork was excellent and hand-butchered at a local abattoir. And, the price was reasonable per lb.

I just came back from the new Giant Eagle, the one with the great seafood dept and the prime cuts of beef, and they have neither heirloom or nagano pork chops. Oh well.

Does IGA stand for Independent Grocers Association in the US too?

Yes. It started with small Mom and Pop stores looking to find a less expensive way to keep their shelves stocked. The less you buy, the more it cost you and you in turn have to pass it on to your customers. In order to save on their orders with their suppliers, they would have to order five or more cases of a canned good, and less than a half of a case was given room on the shelf. So they would end up trying to find storage room for the rest.

Take a looksee. Interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IGA_(supermarkets) :angel:

Sobey's owns the IGA brand. In Ontario, IGAs became Foodland stores.
Sobey's owns the IGA distribution and advertising. Here in Quebec we still have lots of IGAs. I can't remember seeing one that didn't have the name of the owner on the store.

From what I have read from the company's website I would think that it is for those reasons you have inquired about.

Premium feed

AWhereas pigs are usually fed corn and soy, the pigs used for Nagano pork are fed with a specific mixture of grains including not only corn and soy, but also barley and wheat. The feed contains no animal or bone meal, or ractopamine. . All Nagano pigs follow the same specific feed regimen.

Raised with care

Nagano pigs are raised and transported according to high standards designed to reduce the stress on the animal. Even the pieces of meat are cut using a unique non-automated process: butchering is done by hand, further contributing to the quality of the cuts of meat.

Aged for more flavour

The production method used means that the pork, like beef, can be aged. The 10-day process improves the flavour of the meat.

I'm still curious as to what breed/breeds were used to develop the Nagano pigs. I was poking around looking at heritage breeds today...I didn't find any white ones (the picture on the company's web site is a white pig). What I did find is that heritage breeds are not suited to commercial farm operations. They are noted for being good foragers, having micro-marbling in the meat, leaner than modern breeds, and slower to grow to market weight. Methinks the group has latched onto a marketing ploy but the only difference is the higher cost to feed the animals and hand butchering. Better quality feed would result in better tasting meat. More care in the butchering would result in better quality cuts.

The group claims to feed higher quality feed, to take care when raising and transporting the pigs, and that butchering is non-automated. There are no photos to substantiate these claims. I am suspicious of commercial operations that make these claims but do not provide any photos/video to substantiate the claims.

Don't know about pork, but beef in Ontario can be hung for 14 days. Before the Ontario government stepped in, it could be hung for 21 days. There is a noticeable difference in the tenderness of the beef now that it can't be hung as long. If the farmer is smart, the hanging time can be stretched to about 18 days (the inspectors show up every week), but not to 21 days.

From what I've been able to derive from various producers claiming to cater to the Japanese market, the breed used is the Duroc or a cross thereof. The Duroc is known for leaner meat, faster weight gain (ready for market sooner), and for marbling. I can't find that the Nagano is a recognized breed in North America, which means either the Duroc or crosses thereof are probably being used and marketed as "Nagano" to appeal to the Japanese market. The Duroc is an older North American breed (it's been around awhile).

Last edited:
That is some awesome information, all around, CW. Very interesting. Thanks. We have a french chef coming around to push this stuff, and some Angus Prime AAA beef, next week. If I could only memorize it word for word to make the food rep's head spin....

That is some awesome information, all around, CW. Very interesting. Thanks. We have a french chef coming around to push this stuff, and some Angus Prime AAA beef, next week. If I could only memorize it word for word to make the food rep's head spin....
The only information I could find was that it is a Duroc cross. From what I read, that means the boar is the Duroc, but I couldn't find anything that identified the sow to which the Duroc would be bred. I am very curious about the breed with which the Duroc is crossed to produce this "Nagano" pork. I suspect it is a marketing ploy and if one could get a reliable source of pork from Durocs (maybe the owner of the shop needs to check around to see if there is a small pig farmer willing to raise Durocs for him/her--where I got my RIR hens, the farmer was raising sheep for a abattoir that has a large Muslim clientale). If so, one would have the same quality of meat if the farmer was willing to feed high quality feed, let the pigs forage, and take care when transporting them. Just sayin'.

I guess I could contact the registry for purebred pigs in Canada to find out the lineage to confirm/deny if it is a recognized breed or if it is a Duroc cross. From what I could uncover, the "breed" has only been in existence for 2 generations. In dogs, you have to have 7 generations to create a new purebred. Not sure about pigs. Once you have the 7 generations in dogs, the CKC has to recognize it as a purebred and that takes quite a long time--have to have a certain number of the dogs being shown in the Misc. class, etc.

I am sure the pork chop was very tasty, I am just suspicious of the claims made and no identification of how the "breed" was developed, feed fed, how the care is provided given it is a very large commercial pig farm, transportation (what, do the pigs get to ride in the back of Volvo station wagons?) and if the non-automated butchering techniques really involves butchers cutting the pork by hand.

Last edited:
Looks too high falooting to me. I get my pork at Sam's Club/Wal-Mart. Lean loin and Boston Butt. I have the butcher (meat cutter) trim excess fat and give that to me in separate bag. The slices are then flash frozen in my freezer in vacuum package. Some chops get marinated in my own formula of Zesty Italian, or Citrus blend marinade. Frenching? Don't need the bone so why pay for it. And lastly the COST per chop. IF i spend more than $2 per pound It had better be extra good.

Looks too high falooting to me. I get my pork at Sam's Club/Wal-Mart. Lean loin and Boston Butt. I have the butcher (meat cutter) trim excess fat and give that to me in separate bag. The slices are then flash frozen in my freezer in vacuum package. Some chops get marinated in my own formula of Zesty Italian, or Citrus blend marinade. Frenching? Don't need the bone so why pay for it. And lastly the COST per chop. IF i spend more than $2 per pound It had better be extra good.
When I buy chops on special that have "bone in", I usually debone them and toss the bones in a bag in the freezer for stock.

I suppose it is high falooting. Not something I would eat every week, but when it comes to food, I don't mind spending a bit more for a rare treat every now and then. I also have smaller, thinner chops in my freezer that I get on sale.

It doesn't hurt that I manage a meat shop kitchen and get a great discount, either. Hard to handle this stuff every day and not want some.:pig: I prefer a bone in chop. I like to leave about half inch of meat on the bone and pick it up with my hand and gnaw on the charred bits to clean it off. A satisfying experience in its own rite. That ain't going to get me any invitations to hang out with the "la-ti-da" crowd.

Last edited:
I suppose it is high falooting. Not something I would eat every week, but when it comes to food, I don't mind spending a bit more for a rare treat every now and then. I also have smaller, thinner chops in my freezer that I get on sale.

It doesn't hurt that I manage a meat shop kitchen and get a great discount, either. Hard to handle this stuff every day and not want some.:pig: I prefer a bone in chop. I like to leave about half inch of meat on the bone and pick it up with my hand and gnaw on the charred bits to clean it off. A satisfying experience in its own rite. That ain't going to get me any invitations to hang out with the "la-ti-da" crowd.
Might get you an invitation to my house. I do the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom