Cookware for a ceramic smooth top range?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alray1989

Assistant Cook
Wife just got a GE smooth top range.
She has a lot of old copper bottom pans and
an old cast iron dutch oven.

The user manual said not to use these items.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Tri-ply stainless steel is good, as are aluminium pans with a non-stick coating, either teflon type or ceramic type. I use my cast iron skillets on my ceramic stove top, but I am very careful not to drop them or drag them. Porcelain coated cast iron works well too, but again, do not drop or drag.

Welcome to DC alray1989.

I don't know about the copper bottoms but the cast iron dutch oven should be fine as long as the bottom is not warped or has feet. I use my CI all the time on my ceramic stove. The thing is to be careful handling them. You don't want to drop them (breaks the stove top) and you want to try to not slide them around a lot (scratches the surface). One of my CI skillets even has the heat ring and still works wonderfully on my ceramic stovetop. I have an aluminum teflon griddle that doesn't work because the bottom is warped and only about half of the pan touches the burner. As long as the pan sits flat I'd use it. Not sure about the copper bottoms though and why they would say to not use them. Maybe someone else with experience with those pans will reply soon.

Welcome to DC! I agree with all the above. I too have a ceramic cooktop, and use cast iron, copper bottom, SS, etc. Main thing as mentioned is not to drop or drag stuff across it. I even use my canner on it.

Last edited:
Welcome to DC! I agree with all the above. I too have a ceramic cooktop, and use cast iron, copper bottom, SS, etc. Main thing as mentioned is not to drop or drag stuff across it. I even use my canner on it.

Dawglover is entirely correct.

This cooktop is the best I've ever owned... And I never would have bought it . It came with the house

Use whatever suits you.

The manufacturer tells you not to use cast iron because they are on the dime for the warranty. Cast iron works perfectly

Dawglover is entirely correct.

This cooktop is the best I've ever owned... And I never would have bought it . It came with the house

Use whatever suits you.

The manufacturer tells you not to use cast iron because they are on the dime for the warranty. Cast iron works perfectly

Thanks Jenny! What I also love about the ceramic is I can clean it with a razor blade and ceramic cooktop cleaner, and after many years, it still looks good as new.

A caveat, don't jump up and sit on it. One of my students did that with the stove at his parents' house and it broke the top.....

Last edited:
Tri-ply stainless steel is good, as are aluminium pans with a non-stick coating, either teflon type or ceramic type. I use my cast iron skillets on my ceramic stove top, but I am very careful not to drop them or drag them. Porcelain coated cast iron works well too, but again, do not drop or drag.
SS is a WotD. It's only fit for boiling things in plenty of water. Anything else sticks and burns however careful you are, especially eggs or anything with milk. And it doesn't matter how much you pay for it. I inherited a set that had cost in the region of 60 quid a piece and they were as bad as any cheap, thin ones in some of the furnished flats I've rented.

Stick with your CI or buy good quality aluminium if you must. As everyone says don't slam any pans down on the surface.

SS is a WotD. It's only fit for boiling things in plenty of water. Anything else sticks and burns however careful you are, especially eggs or anything with milk. And it doesn't matter how much you pay for it. I inherited a set that had cost in the region of 60 quid a piece and they were as bad as any cheap, thin ones in some of the furnished flats I've rented.

Stick with your CI or buy good quality aluminium if you must. As everyone says don't slam any pans down on the surface.
I have to disagree about the SS. I am very fond of the Lagostina SS pots my DH bought in 1989 and I have been using since 1995. I don't find that stuff burns on it any more than with any other type of pot.

What does "WotD" stand for?

I disagree about SS pans, too. My cooking improved a lot after I got my first All-Clad pan. You do have to learn how to use it, like with any cookware, and stuff doesn't stick if you don't mess with the food too much. Except eggs, of course. I have one non-stick pan that is exclusively for eggs and crepes.

I disagree entirely also. Almost all of my cookware is all clad stainless steel and has performed beautifully for the 15 years I have had this stove . My cast iron and LC Dutch ovens have had perfect performance too.

Sorry, Mad Cook, I love my Cuisinart SS as well. And I cook eggs in mine as well....

Last edited:
I am in agreement with those that disagree......now that I am thoroughly confused, I will say that I use our SS all the time (well, a lot) and have no complaints.

I have to agree with those who disagree. Although I don't use them for eggs, they are the best for frying or pan roasting meats. I have only 2, one is a 10" Kitchen Aid saute pan that came as a "free" gift with my Pro 600 food processor, and the other one is a cheap 12" deep sided Simply Calphalon with a disk bottom. I use both quite often. I also have a couple of nonstick in the same sizes which are used for different things.

Generally, if food sticks, the problem is with the technique, not the pan. One of the biggest revelations in my cooking education was learning the art of deglazing and making pan sauces. Failing to salvage all of that wonderful flavor left behind after the meat is removed has become an unforgivable sin for me. You never really get that with a nonstick pan.

I have to agree with those who disagree. Although I don't use them for eggs, they are the best for frying or pan roasting meats. I have only 2, one is a 10" Kitchen Aid saute pan that came as a "free" gift with my Pro 600 food processor, and the other one is a cheap 12" deep sided Simply Calphalon with a disk bottom. I use both quite often. I also have a couple of nonstick in the same sizes which are used for different things.

Generally, if food sticks, the problem is with the technique, not the pan. One of the biggest revelations in my cooking education was learning the art of deglazing and making pan sauces. Failing to salvage all of that wonderful flavor left behind after the meat is removed has become an unforgivable sin for me. You never really get that with a nonstick pan.

Exactly.

+2...

Back
Top Bottom