When to Harvest Potatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
First of all, I had to refer to the dictionary prior to posting this thread so I didnt pull a Dan Quail.

Anyway, MY potato plants are starting to die back.

It is usually this weekend when I harvest them.

Problem is, I have som other plants / vines growing close, or even on the area needed to be harvested.

Im afraid if I harvest the potatoes now, I may harm the other plants, so I was wondering if there is any harm in delaying the harvest for a few weeks, until the other adjacent plants have died off.

Thanks,

Larry

We harvest our potatoes in late September. They can stay in the ground after the plants die back. We harvest the stuff that can't wait ahead of the potatoes.

We harvest our potatoes in late September. They can stay in the ground after the plants die back. We harvest the stuff that can't wait ahead of the potatoes.

Yes, I do that too. Potatoes are the last. That is the good advice.
~Cat

We usually plant tomatoes and potatoes together. Takes up less space. When tomatoes are done we dig potatoes. Since we got no tomatoes from. 48 plants, I won't hold my breath on potatoes. Very bad garden year for us. Watering, but the weather is so odd this summer.

We had an odd garden year this year too. The things that I usually cant grow ( cabbages, cauliflower ..) did great. The things that usually thrive ( cukes,tomatoes, stringbeans...) were an embarrassment.

Back
Top Bottom