Lemon pie problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh boy, I wish there was a baker around here!! LOL - There is not a thing I can tell you that will help - other than did it bake at a high enough temp, did it bake for long enough, and was everything thoroughly mixed before putting in pie shell.

SOMEONE HELP!!! :(

O.K. - Once again BW is not here to offer her expert knowledge on the subject, but I'm pretty darned certain she prebakes the pie shell, cooks the filling separately, an pojurs it into the shell to cool and set. Don't recall her ever having any liquid in the pie. Then I guess she pops it back in the oven to brown the merengue. ( Lemon merengue is among my favorites, and she makes coouple every month.)

She makes the filling from scratch, so Jello's version may behave differently.

Ok...time to break out my famous...(cue music)...(echo effect) Secrets Of The Pros.....(fade music)...

Ok...here goes...

what's happening, or at least what it sounds like, is that your filling is doing what's called 'weeping'...all about proteins and denaturing and coagulation and starches...won't cover it here...

solutions?

1. Pre-bake any pie crust that uses a non-baked filling, such as the lemon filling you're using.
2. Always put cool filling into a cool pie crust..of course, with your lemon filling, you want to get it cool, but don't let it set up before you pour it...so basically, not hot is the key...room temp is fine.
3. Take some cake crumbs (not too many, just a bit) and sprinkle over the crust before you add the filling...this will help absorb some of the excess liquid.
4. Then there's always the starch solution, but it's tricky and advanced...so maybe I'll get into it some other time.

Happy Pie Making! :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom