Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Pork (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f49/)
-   -   Pork Loin (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f49/pork-loin-86985.html)

Raspberrymocha55 09-08-2013 03:30 PM

Pork Loin

What do you do with a loin? I've stuffed them, braised, baked, grilled and pulled them. Today I am poking in bay leaf and garlic, rubbing it with more garlic, celery salt, cracked pepper and olive oil, then throwing onion, celery, carrot and new potatoes and crocking it. I've found olive oil rub keeps it from getting so dry. I always make gravy with drippings. Gravy is the important part for me. The meat is secondary.

Andy M. 09-08-2013 03:35 PM

I don't cook loins so much anymore. They're too lean. To me they are an oven roast rather than a candidate for braising. You cut it flat so it could be stuffed and rolled jelly roll style. The choice of stuffings is endless.

You could also slice it into chops. Thin ones for pan frying, thicker ones for stuffing or grilling.

pacanis 09-08-2013 05:32 PM

I like turning loins into Canadian bacon. Or slicing for schnitzel, pork picatta or some other dish where a chop without the bone works. And then there's Ol Blue's melt in your mouth pork loin...

Dawgluver 09-08-2013 05:48 PM

I got a recipe that came with one of my CPs. I think I posted it here, will look. Ha! Found the booklet! Basically, it calls for sticking slivered garlic in slits cut into the pork loin, rub with S&P, put 1T soy sauce, 2 bay leaves, a clove, and 1/2 cup water, which is then placed on a bed of 2 sliced onions on the bottom of the CP. Cover and cook on low 10-12 hours, or on high 5- 6 hours, until tender. It's really good!

You can brown the roast first, I didn't.

Raspberrymocha55 09-08-2013 06:47 PM

That's what I do, as that's what mom did. We prefer butt/shoulder roasts and steaks due to the marbling and taste. I buy whatever is cheap, and a whole boneless loin was only $1.79 lb. Butt roasts were $3.99 lb. I also butterfly loins and stuff with ham, whole Italian sausage and mozarella. Tie it and roast. My butcher calls them "Al Capone roasts." pretty when sliced to serve.

Oldvine 09-08-2013 10:48 PM

The only thing I remember about the last pork loin I cooked was that it turned out so dry my family didn't like it at all....too lean.
I've been sticking slivered garlic into meat slits my entire life as did my dad that cooked the meat at home when I was growing up. Mother was a vegetarian, father a carnivore. She made the pies, salads and mashed potatoes, he did almost everything else. Made for interesting meals.

Dawgluver 09-08-2013 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldvine (Post 1299114)
The only thing I remember about the last pork loin I cooked was that it turned out so dry my family didn't like it at all....too lean.
I've been sticking slivered garlic into meat slits my entire life as did my dad that cooked the meat at home when I was growing up. Mother was a vegetarian, father a carnivore. She made the pies, salads and mashed potatoes, he did almost everything else. Made for interesting meals.

:lol: Bet it did!

KatyCooks 09-09-2013 12:17 AM

Stuff it - full of lovely things that you like - garlic/herbs/dried fruit - oil it then wrap it.

Not sure if you mean a "big" joint here or a tenderloin. So if it is a big joint, cover it in foil and roast, and if it is a small tenderloin, wrap it in bacon, brown it in a pan and roast it.:yum:

GotGarlic 09-09-2013 09:52 AM

I don't usually make a whole, or even half, pork loin, either, since there's just the two of us. They're usually cheaper than boneless pork loin chops, so I buy a loin, cut it into chops, and freeze some for later. I use the chops for all kinds of things - seasoned with different flavor profiles and pan-roasted, or grilled, or cut into cubes and stir-fried, etc.

CWS4322 09-09-2013 10:53 AM

I've made this Laura Calder recipe several times using pork loin. I've made it without cutting it, and I've cut it like a book and stuff some rosemary, garlic, and a couple of slices of bacon in the center, roll and tie it. It is really good. And it smells sooooo good when it is cooking.

Milk Pork Recipe | How to Cook Milk Pork - Free Recipes