Short ribs--beef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raspberrymocha55

Senior Cook
I always do my " braised" short ribs in the crockpot. I often brown them on the stove along with onion. Then I plop them in the crock along with diced celery and carrot. I throw in a cup or two of beef broth and some times a packet of onion soup mix. I put it on low for at least 8 hours until the meat almost falls off the bones. Add a bit of flour slurry during the last hour for a great gravy. I know some who throw in red wine for a more hearty broth. We are alcohol free in my home so I don't. I always serve this with mashed potatoes. Great in the winter. The trouble is finding short ribs cut the old fashioned way in chunks about 2x 2x3". Around here they cut them in long narrow strips which are just plain icky. my butcher sells them as "soup meat.". I find that odd too. But they cut them more normally, although I have to tell them to cut the 6" lengths in half so I can have my nice cubes of ribs.

I always do my " braised" short ribs in the crockpot. I often brown them on the stove along with onion. Then I plop them in the crock along with diced celery and carrot. I throw in a cup or two of beef broth and some times a packet of onion soup mix. I put it on low for at least 8 hours until the meat almost falls off the bones. Add a bit of flour slurry during the last hour for a great gravy. I know some who throw in red wine for a more hearty broth. We are alcohol free in my home so I don't. I always serve this with mashed potatoes. Great in the winter. The trouble is finding short ribs cut the old fashioned way in chunks about 2x 2x3". Around here they cut them in long narrow strips which are just plain icky. my butcher sells them as "soup meat.". I find that odd too. But they cut them more normally, although I have to tell them to cut the 6" lengths in half so I can have my nice cubes of ribs.

I love braised ribs. I too cook them until they are almost falling off the bone. Another person on this planet that has an alcohol free home. For years I thought I was the only one. :angel:

I would love to cook with wine etc. but my hubby is 20 years sober, and a little flavor boost is not worth his well being through temptation.

I would love to cook with wine etc. but my hubby is 20 years sober, and a little flavor boost is not worth his well being through temptation.

I have never had a drink of alcohol in my whole life. There are so many other ingredients that can be used to enhance the flavor of food. And congratulations to your husband on his sobriety.

I had a friend who thought I was an alcoholic. Nothing I said would convince him otherwise. So one day when I introduced him to my sister, she said to him,

"Jim, my sister is not an alcoholic. She doesn't drink by choice."

"Lorraine, when the family is in denial, it doesn't help the alcoholic."

I gave up and let him think I am an alcoholic. :angel:

The alcohol cooks out in the cooking process, you can also use grape juice as a sub.
True about the grape juice.
However, according to the USDA, alcohol retention is pretty high using most cooking methods.
For example, alcohol: stirred, baked, simmered for 1 hour still retains 25% of the alcohol. If cooked for 2.5 hours, 5% alcohol is retained.
Is this a problem for most folks? No.
But for alcohol sensitive people and recovering alcoholics....better safe than sorry.

Here is the USDA chart of Nutrient Retention
It includes nutrient retention for a very wide range of foods. You will have to scroll down a ways to find alcohol.

Thanks Hoot! Good information for those who didn't realize this.

I can my own concord grape juice, and may try adding that. Unfortunately last years batch got too sweet, as the grapes were amazingly sweet on their own last year. Haven't gotten around to picking grapes this fall. I have bushels of them, but no gumption! LOL!

I'd hesitate to use grape juice in place of wine in a short ribs recipe. I think it's too sweet and would change the dish for the worse. It's not a problem to just leave out the wine or any other booze and just add more broth.

Not weird. Everyone is entitled to live as they feel is right. I would cook with alcohol, but out of respect for my hubby I simply don't.

To emphasize what Steve said earlier, here is a chart describing what happens to alcohol in a dish based on how and how long it is cooked.

Attachments

• Alcohol in Food.pdf
    46.1 KB · Views: 150
Respect is more important than having bottles of alcohol sitting in my home for cooking purposes.

I agree. It's difficult to be a recovering alcoholic. No need to make it more difficult.

I posted the chart so readers understand the standard statement that, "...all the alcohol boils off." is not correct.

Back on Topic! I like the flavor that "Better Than Bullion" gives to a gravy or stock when making a slow cooking dish. For some reason it develops more flavor the longer it cooks. And that goes for ribs slow cooked until the bones are almost falling off. :angel:

I'd hesitate to use grape juice in place of wine in a short ribs recipe. I think it's too sweet and would change the dish for the worse. It's not a problem to just leave out the wine or any other booze and just add more broth.

what Andy said.

I read somewhere that good substitute for red wine in a recipe is red grape juice diluted with some red wine vinegar. I've never tried it myself.

Back
Top Bottom