Hardwater stains in Ceramic bowl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mj1

Cook
I have hardwater stains on a ceramic(?) bowl and cannot get it clean. I'm not sure if the bowl is actually ceramic or not. It's 30+ y/o and there's no information on the bowl at all. I think it's more like those old square CorningWare "bowls." It might be some type of knockoff.

I could probably get the hardwater stains out with an SOS pad, but I didn't think they were supposed to be used on this kind of surface.

It's probably worth noting that I use the bowl as a cat water bowl and have a bad habit of forgetting to change the water everyday. I do change the water in the other bowls, I just forget this one all the time because it's in a room I rarely use. I guess the sitting water causes the stains because I don't get stains in the other bowls which are exactly the same.

Any suggestions on how to get the stains out?

Try one of the calcium, lime rust removers (such as CLR). Try bleach in the water. If that doesn't work, keep in mind it's a cat's water bowl and the cat doesn't care.

fill it up to the water line with a vinegar/water solution. Let it sit scrubbing on occasion overnight.
Pumice stone might work as well.

Here are a couple things to try.

Fill the bowl with screaming hot water. Add liquid dishwasher soap. Let it set overnight. It works for getting a coffee urn, that was black inside, sparkling clean, might work on this too.

Another option would be baking soda. You can put some on a damp sponge, rag or whatever and scrub the bowl with that.

I would advise NOT using anything abrasive as it will damage the surface of the bowl. Then you will have further problems as all things will want to grow and stain those areas.

I have hardwater stains on a ceramic(?) bowl and cannot get it clean. I'm not sure if the bowl is actually ceramic or not. It's 30+ y/o and there's no information on the bowl at all. I think it's more like those old square CorningWare "bowls." It might be some type of knockoff.

I could probably get the hardwater stains out with an SOS pad, but I didn't think they were supposed to be used on this kind of surface.

It's probably worth noting that I use the bowl as a cat water bowl and have a bad habit of forgetting to change the water everyday. I do change the water in the other bowls, I just forget this one all the time because it's in a room I rarely use. I guess the sitting water causes the stains because I don't get stains in the other bowls which are exactly the same.

Any suggestions on how to get the stains out?
Can you get those tablets that people soak their false teeth in? They are good at removing very stubborn tea stains when all else fails. Or what about those gel cleaners that that you squirt into the loo to remove lime scale? (Wash well after soaking)

Last edited:
I live in a hard water area and my cat's ceramic drinking bowl gets a build up of lime-scale too.

I just pour the cheapest (neat) vinegar I can find into it and leave it for a few hours. It never fails, and the bowl comes out sparkling.

(The last bottle of super-cheap vinegar I bought was just 99p and I only used about a quarter of it to clean the bowl).

I live in a hard water area and my cat's ceramic drinking bowl gets a build up of lime-scale too.

I just pour the cheapest (neat) vinegar I can find into it and leave it for a few hours. It never fails, and the bowl comes out sparkling.

(The last bottle of super-cheap vinegar I bought was just 99p and I only used about a quarter of it to clean the bowl).
+1
I only buy white vinegar for cleaning.

fill it with water and toss a couple denture cleaning tablets in. let it sit overnight.

Let it sit where the cat won't get at it. I think denture cleaning tablets have a "minty" flavour and cat like mint. :ermm:
But the kitty might have sparkling clean teeth and minty breath taxy! :-p

My first weapon of choice for practically everything dirty is Bon Ami kitchen cleanser. I'll put a little pile of the powder cleanser in the sink, wet the sponge so I can mash the powder up into a nice paste, and rub on the stain. I've used Bon Ami all my married life and then some and have never had an issue with it scratching anything. Unless you have something else on hand this could be the cheapest solution. Good luck mj!

We had water stains as this before DA put in the filtration system for the whole condominium. We used white vinegar to erase the stains on some things.

Your friend,
~Cat

I don't know if this will work for that, but it does an AMAZING job on metal baking sheets:

1. Sprinkle with baking soda.
2. Spray with a hydrogen peroxide.
3. Sprinkle with another layer of baking soda.
4. Let sit 1-2 hours.
5. Wipe clean.

If you try this, let us know if it works.

FWIW, I wish I could buy white vinegar in a 55-gal. drum. I use white vinegar for almost all my cleaning.

Denture tablets are good, but people rinse their dentures of solution before putting them in their mouth.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom