ISO help avoiding cinnamon roll shrinkage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shipcord

Assistant Cook
I own a small coffee shop and bakery. I'm in search of the perfect cinnamon roll. I have a pretty awesome recipe and make several thousand a year, but they always shrink after baking. Is there a way to keep them "puffed up" as they cool. I currently use a recipe with potato as an ingredient. I use AP flour, whole egg, and about 50/50 scalded milk and warm water. Would it help to use whole yolk, less water, and perhaps bread flour? I've included pictures at various stages. My customers like the product, but I want it to present better. Any comments are welcome. Thanks

Attachments

• Cinnamon rolled.jpg
    Cinnamon rolled.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 336
  • cinnamon out of oven.jpg
    cinnamon out of oven.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 324
  • Cinnamon frosted.jpg
    Cinnamon frosted.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 328
I think perhaps the bread flour? My DA has recipes for the rolls such as these in which she uses the bread flour.

I am not the expert of this. But I have followed of her recipes of rolls such as these and they have not been shrunken. They are rather fat and light.

Your friend,
~Cat

PS. There is a reason for the "Proud American" title underneath my name. No one should insult the name "Cook" with "CatPat!" I am learning of all this.

I understand the need for the paper cups. But I always place mine on a cookie sheet or jelly roll pan. No paper cups needed. I leave about 1/8 " between them giving them plenty of room to rise out as well as up. . Since you are in a bakery, you could use tongs to remove them from the case for the customer.

BTW, they look delicious! And welcome to DC :angel:

Last edited:
Thanks for your thoughts. I'll give the bread flour a try. I had thought that the extra gluten would make them tough, but never considered the structure factor. I'll keep experimenting.

Yes, do try bread flour, it shouldn't make them tougher, but maybe give them some added structure.

Maybe bake them slightly longer, and try not to over proof. If they are more air than dough, there really isn't going to be much to help them stand tall.

I'd definitely experiment but not present them to customers until you get it right, since your product is a hit already you wouldn't want to mess them up.

They do look pretty great already!

Back
Top Bottom