Safety of this dish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
A friend of a friend is making this: Shooters: Cherry Peppers Stuffed with Prosciutto and Provolone RecipeHow to Food

When he first posted, he didn't say where the recipe was from nor did he mention the use of vinegar. I was all over it for fear of botulism. Storing vegis in olive oil and, he had added his own twist: he had vacuum sealed it.

So, what do you guys think? Is this a safe recipe? Do you think there is enough vinegar left in the pickled peppers to make it safe to leave this stuff in EVOO for a week at room temperature?

He wants to know if he should throw out the stuff he vacuum sealed and start over.

I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Storing anything in oil, even at refrigerator temps for longer than 2 weeks is an issue. I don't think the earlier pickling of the peppers is enough to make them safe.

Start over. I think I read you're not supposed to put things in olive oil for too very long. I have put garlic in, and used it all within a few days making salad dressing. Also I refrigerate.

And I don't know about putting prosciutto in a jar.

Start over. I think I read you're not supposed to put things in olive oil for too very long. I have put garlic in, and used it all within a few days making salad dressing. Also I refrigerate.

And I don't know about putting prosciutto in a jar.

Exactly right. Such a mix should be used within two weeks refrigerated. Botulism grows in the absence of oxygen.

So, do you think this would be safe if refrigerated, rather than left on the counter for a week and then eaten within 2 weeks?

I would think that it would be safer to pickle the the peppers for a shorter time and then marinate the rest with a soft tasting vinegar, like balsamic, and the oil. I wonder how much vinegar would be needed to make it safe. I suppose there is a safe pH and one could test the pH of the marinade.

I think refrigerated would be much safer than left on the counter for a week. If pickling/canning meat or cheese, I think a pressure canner would be needed.

I think refrigerated would be much safer than left on the counter for a week. If pickling/canning meat or cheese, I think a pressure canner would be needed.
I was thinking pressure canner too. But, then the cheese would melt and the prosciutto would be cooked, which would be a waste.

I was thinking pressure canner too. But, then the cheese would melt and the prosciutto would be cooked, which would be a waste.

Good point. Probably better to stuff as he goes, and eat them ASAP, no longer than a couple days.

I'm just wondering why those people in Rhode Island aren't coming down with botulism. Just lucky? They get eaten quickly enough?

Must have hearty constitutions.

I'm still leary of the recipe....

So, do you think this would be safe if refrigerated, rather than left on the counter for a week and then eaten within 2 weeks?

I would think that it would be safer to pickle the the peppers for a shorter time and then marinate the rest with a soft tasting vinegar, like balsamic, and the oil. I wonder how much vinegar would be needed to make it safe. I suppose there is a safe pH and one could test the pH of the marinade.

I do not think it would be safe for three weeks.

I don't know what the pH has to be for it to be safe.

I do not think it would be safe for three weeks.

I don't know what the pH has to be for it to be safe.
I didn't mean safe for three weeks. I meant put 'em in the fridge and let them marinate for a week and finish them by the time they had been in the fridge for a total of two weeks, giving only one week of eating time.

Did some googling. Looks like the pH that kills botulism is 4.6 or lower. But, there is a gotcha, "While most bacteria cannot survive at a low pH, some proteins such as in soy and beef have protective agents that allow them to grow at pH < 4.5." from http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fs10.

So, I would recommend pickling the peppers, then adding the EVOO so it can absorb flavours. When ready to serve, soak the cheese and prosciutto in some of the EVOO and vinegar, and then stuff the peppers that will be eaten that day.

It would probably be a good idea to parblanch the peppers before pickling.

Back
Top Bottom