Apple Crisp...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

singer92

Assistant Cook
I found a very basic recipe for apple crisp and it states to use apples (well duh!).

What is the best apple or combination of apples to use for apple crisp? I want a good flavor!

Last edited:
I found a very basic recipe for apple crisp and it states to use apples (well duh!).

What is the best apple or combination of apples to use for apple crisp? I want a good flavor!

I use Granny Smith. they can be very tart, but the sugar in any recipe takes care of that. If you don't like tart, then I would go for Macoun. When you are in the produce department, there should be signs telling you if they are for eating or cooking. Cooking hold up better and don't turn into mush. The only time you would use eating apples for cooking is if you are making applesauce. :angel:

thanks, I'll remember that!

There is a lot of flexibility in what type of apples to use. They all taste different and each recipe may be best with a different apple or combination.

I have an apple squares recipe (similar to crisp but no stuff on top) that my sister gave me. Her recipe calls for MacIntosh. I tried Granny Smiths because I really like them and it didn't taste as good. So experiment and see which you like best.

P.S. I also tried pecans in place of walnuts and didn't like that as much either.

I actually won a copy of "The Apple Lover's Cookbook" last year ;) For apple crisp, the author suggests using a combination of a firm apple that will hold its shape during cooking and a tender apple that will fall apart and be more "saucy." Try a mixture of Granny Smith for tartness and shape and Fuji for sweetness and softness.

I dislike Granny Smiths - too hard and too tart. For my "Deep Dish Apple Crisp", I use a mixture of apples, such as Jonagold, Golden Delicious, Pink Lady, and a small amount of McIntosh.

Braeburn, Gala, and unidentified apples from my tree are pretty multipurpose, good for both eating and cooking. A mix is nice.

Last edited:
Mmmmm we have been eating Honey crisps out of hand and begun picking for at use as needed. ( HC may still be a regional apple, I dunno). Waiting until a Light frost or after to begin harvesting Harrelson's. These are more tart than sweet. Can't wait. Not for the frost that is. Dang sqwerrels shake the tree all summer, take a bite and move onto the next apple. They get all the fun. Apple crisp. Mmmm.

Last edited:
Mmmmm we have been eating Honey crisps out of hand and begun picking for at use as needed. ( HC may still be a regional apple, I dunno). Waiting until a Light frost or after to begin harvesting Harrelson's. These are more tart than sweet. Can't wait. Not for the frost that is. Dang sqwerrels shake the tree all summer, take a bite and move onto the next apple. They get all the fun. Apple crisp. Mmmm.

We have the same problem with our avacados. I found that a CO2 pistol that uses plastic ammo makes a pretty good deterent and can be quite entertaining. Ever been "told off" by a sqwill?:ROFLMAO:

Whenever I make apple crisp or pie - I always use equal parts of 3 different kinds- Generally it is Macintosh, Macouns or Empires and red or golden delious. those are the ones that I get the biggest compliments from

We have cooking apple called a Bramley but it doesn't seem to exist anywhere else in the world. Good flavour but very tart. It "falls" well so makes good apple sauce but for a crisp or crumble or pie it's better mixed with something which holds its shape. Do you have Cox's Orange Pippins where you are? They are a late summer/early autumn apple but keep well over the winter and have a lovely rich flavour.

That's not "apple crisp" Addie, that's "apple lasagna"! :LOL:

My favorite is Gala, hands down. Use it for pies, in crisps, to eat out-of-hand. If you want a little "sauce" with the apple slices you need to add another type that will cook down more since the Gala keeps its texture even after baking.

One year after we built our first home but before the kids came along Himself did a fair amount of travelling during the week. Most every Thursday on my way home from work I would stop at a little apple farm along my route, buy the variety of apple that had ripened most recently, and greeted him with a different apple pie every Friday night. Started with Lodi Greening and ended up with Melrose. Lord, how I miss Melrose, the official apple of Ohio. :yum: Good thing SIL and her hubby lived about 5 miles away. We didn't have to eat an entire pie by ourselves every week! :pig:

I bake with whatever apples are currently on sale. In my neck of the woods, that is usually Gala, Fuji, Granny Smith, and sometimes Jazz. MacIntoshes when I can get them. Yes, I make pies with Macs. I have recently been repeatedly told that you cannot make apple pie with Macs, because they will allegedly turn into mush.

No, they don't, not if you treat 'em right. Fortunately I had never been told this little bit of "wisdom" 45 years ago when I was learning to make apple pies, LOL! I got other, truer wisdom instead about how to make my apple pies non-soggy without having to resort to loads of tapioca or cornflakes in the bottom of the crust!

I did a side-by-side comparison and while it's true that Macs tend to be a little softer than some other apples, they hold their shape just fine. In fact I suspect I probably could have done better but may have overcooked them a bit as it had been awhile since I'd baked with a Mac, due to not being able to find them for several years running. And the Mac pie tasted way better.

Note that I do not mention any "delicious" type. Those are not apples. They are apple-shaped objects that ship very well due to having ridiculously thick skins, and they have very little apple flavor. When my son was little he told me not to buy those at the grocery store because he had had one at the day care and (according to him) "they don't taste like apples at all", LOL!

I can get as many Macs as I want every year. A friend has an orchard and I am free to pick as many as I like. As long as I pick the same amount for him and his cider press.

Oh drat, this reminds me that I have one more grocery bag of home-growns left to process. Not to mention the full fridge drawer full of apples. I'm kinda sick of apples by now.

This was an off year for our apple tree. In on years, I've had to do drive-by apple bag drop-offs.

Last edited:
I bake with whatever apples are currently on sale. In my neck of the woods, that is usually Gala, Fuji, Granny Smith, and sometimes Jazz. MacIntoshes when I can get them. Yes, I make pies with Macs. I have recently been repeatedly told that you cannot make apple pie with Macs, because they will allegedly turn into mush.

No, they don't, not if you treat 'em right. Fortunately I had never been told this little bit of "wisdom" 45 years ago when I was learning to make apple pies, LOL! I got other, truer wisdom instead about how to make my apple pies non-soggy without having to resort to loads of tapioca or cornflakes in the bottom of the crust!

I did a side-by-side comparison and while it's true that Macs tend to be a little softer than some other apples, they hold their shape just fine. In fact I suspect I probably could have done better but may have overcooked them a bit as it had been awhile since I'd baked with a Mac, due to not being able to find them for several years running. And the Mac pie tasted way better.

Note that I do not mention any "delicious" type. Those are not apples. They are apple-shaped objects that ship very well due to having ridiculously thick skins, and they have very little apple flavor. When my son was little he told me not to buy those at the grocery store because he had had one at the day care and (according to him) "they don't taste like apples at all", LOL!
With you on "Delicious" apples. We get an abomination called "Golden Delicious" - mostly grown in France for the supermarket trade. As someone once wrote in the newspaper, they should be had up under the Trades Description Act because they are neither golden nor delicious!

We get a lot of apples from France - mostly rubbish and no self-respecting French person would give them house-room. The difference between a French Braeburn and a New Zealand one is absolutely unbelievable. They don't taste like the same apple.

My favourite "eating" apple is the Granny Smith. Again, the French ones aren't worth buying (I wonder why?), the ones from Chile are usually very tart but "Cape" ones (from South Africa) are my favourites. Sadly we don't grow them here. We also have Cox's Orange Pippin which is a late apple that keeps well through the winter. It can be used like the French Reinette as it keeps iy's shape when cooked

I am surrounded by apple orchards. And it is still the time of farmers market. I can also go in town to Fanuiel Hall market and get fresh picked that morning, any kind I want. Eating or cooking. :angel:

With you on "Delicious" apples. We get an abomination called "Golden Delicious" - mostly grown in France for the supermarket trade. As someone once wrote in the newspaper, they should be had up under the Trades Description Act because they are neither golden nor delicious!

We get a lot of apples from France - mostly rubbish and no self-respecting French person would give them house-room. The difference between a French Braeburn and a New Zealand one is absolutely unbelievable. They don't taste like the same apple.

My favourite "eating" apple is the Granny Smith. Again, the French ones aren't worth buying (I wonder why?), the ones from Chile are usually very tart but "Cape" ones (from South Africa) are my favourites. Sadly we don't grow them here. We also have Cox's Orange Pippin which is a late apple that keeps well through the winter. It can be used like the French Reinette as it keeps iy's shape when cooked

I guess it all has to do with climate. Honey Crisp is a really popular apple here, but the only good ones are from cooler northern climates, the ones grown here in western North Carolina don't even taste like the same apple! The ones from places like Washington state are fantastic, crisp and sweet.

I went to the farmer's market this week and the lady that sold me apples from her orchard steered me to an apple variety called Cameo, they were delicious, sweet, crisp exactly what I look for in an apple. She steered me to a variety called Stayman Winesap for cooking and they made a fantastic apple pie without turning to mush! I usually use Granny Smith for pie, but these performed the same with a more apple-ly flavor.

Back
Top Bottom