Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Cobblers & Crisps (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f117/)
-   -   Apple Crisp... (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f117/apple-crisp-87257.html)

singer92 09-27-2013 02:32 PM

Apple Crisp...

I found a very basic recipe for apple crisp and it states to use apples (well duh!).

What is the best apple or combination of apples to use for apple crisp? I want a good flavor!

Addie 09-27-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by singer92 (Post 1304204)
I found a very basic recipe for apple crisp and it states to use apples (well duh!).

What is the best apple or combination of apples to use for apple crisp? I want a good flavor!

I use Granny Smith. they can be very tart, but the sugar in any recipe takes care of that. If you don't like tart, then I would go for Macoun. When you are in the produce department, there should be signs telling you if they are for eating or cooking. Cooking hold up better and don't turn into mush. The only time you would use eating apples for cooking is if you are making applesauce. :angel:

singer92 09-27-2013 02:52 PM

thanks, I'll remember that!

Andy M. 09-27-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by singer92 (Post 1304209)
thanks, I'll remember that!

There is a lot of flexibility in what type of apples to use. They all taste different and each recipe may be best with a different apple or combination.

I have an apple squares recipe (similar to crisp but no stuff on top) that my sister gave me. Her recipe calls for MacIntosh. I tried Granny Smiths because I really like them and it didn't taste as good. So experiment and see which you like best.

P.S. I also tried pecans in place of walnuts and didn't like that as much either.

GotGarlic 09-27-2013 03:58 PM

I actually won a copy of "The Apple Lover's Cookbook" last year :wink: For apple crisp, the author suggests using a combination of a firm apple that will hold its shape during cooking and a tender apple that will fall apart and be more "saucy." Try a mixture of Granny Smith for tartness and shape and Fuji for sweetness and softness.

merstar 09-27-2013 04:37 PM

I dislike Granny Smiths - too hard and too tart. For my "Deep Dish Apple Crisp", I use a mixture of apples, such as Jonagold, Golden Delicious, Pink Lady, and a small amount of McIntosh.

Dawgluver 09-27-2013 05:01 PM

Braeburn, Gala, and unidentified apples from my tree are pretty multipurpose, good for both eating and cooking. A mix is nice.

PrincessFiona60 09-27-2013 11:13 PM

Mmmm...Macintosh from up the valley are on sale...thanks for the idea.

Whiskadoodle 09-28-2013 01:25 AM

Mmmmm we have been eating Honey crisps out of hand and begun picking for at use as needed. ( HC may still be a regional apple, I dunno). Waiting until a Light frost or after to begin harvesting Harrelson's. These are more tart than sweet. Can't wait. Not for the frost that is. Dang sqwerrels shake the tree all summer, take a bite and move onto the next apple. They get all the fun. Apple crisp. Mmmm.

CraigC 09-28-2013 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle (Post 1304352)
Mmmmm we have been eating Honey crisps out of hand and begun picking for at use as needed. ( HC may still be a regional apple, I dunno). Waiting until a Light frost or after to begin harvesting Harrelson's. These are more tart than sweet. Can't wait. Not for the frost that is. Dang sqwerrels shake the tree all summer, take a bite and move onto the next apple. They get all the fun. Apple crisp. Mmmm.

We have the same problem with our avacados. I found that a CO2 pistol that uses plastic ammo makes a pretty good deterent and can be quite entertaining. Ever been "told off" by a sqwill?:rofl: