Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   General Cooking (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Christmas Crack (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/christmas-crack-87293.html)

joesfolk 09-29-2013 09:19 PM

Christmas Crack

I got curious and tried a recipe that I saw on a famous web site. Frankly what I produced does not look anything like the picture of the recipe that I pinned. Has anyone tried making this? It is a toffee made with saltine crackers. Maybe it will taste better than it looks. It's cooling now but I'm not very hopeful. Did you have good results?

joesfolk 09-29-2013 09:49 PM

Anyone?

Hoot 09-30-2013 06:15 AM

Never heard of it, but Google tells me that it seems like it would be easy and most likely a popular thing to set out for the holidays. I reckon I will give it a try.

Aunt Bea 09-30-2013 06:26 AM

I don't think I have ever had it, sounds good!

I have seen recipes over the years for saltine toffee candy, never heard Christmas Crack before this post.

Santa's Christmas Crack, not exactly visions of sugar plums dancing in my head! :ermm::ohmy::lol:

bakechef 09-30-2013 07:10 AM

I've made it and it's absolutely wondeful! If it's done right, it should be crunchy like toffee and wonderfully buttery. Nobody should suspect that there is a saltine in there, they would assume that it's a cookie. I've also seen it made with graham crackers in place of saltines.

I make regular toffee at christmas now, and to me, that too is like crack, I have a hard time staying out of it. I brought some to my boss and she couldn't stay out of it, she said "never bring me this again!" so of course, I'll bring her some again this year...

CarolPa 09-30-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bakechef (Post 1305066)
I've made it and it's absolutely wondeful! If it's done right, it should be crunchy like toffee and wonderfully buttery. Nobody should suspect that there is a saltine in there, they would assume that it's a cookie. I've also seen it made with graham crackers in place of saltines.

I make regular toffee at christmas now, and to me, that too is like crack, I have a hard time staying out of it. I brought some to my boss and she couldn't stay out of it, she said "never bring me this again!" so of course, I'll bring her some again this year...

I have seen this recipe but have always been afraid it wouldn't turn out right. I don't know why I'm afraid. It's not like it's expensive to make! I never heard it called "Christmas Crack" but I like that name!

Mad Cook 09-30-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolPa (Post 1305153)
I have seen this recipe but have always been afraid it wouldn't turn out right. I don't know why I'm afraid. It's not like it's expensive to make! I never heard it called "Christmas Crack" but I like that name!

I assume Saltines are a sort of salty savoury cracker? I love anything toffee/caramelly. Can't wait to go and find the recipe.

Oldvine 09-30-2013 11:14 AM

I've heard of it, never made it. I understand that it's a pretty good substitute. I see your later post so maybe what I've heard is correct.

CarolPa 09-30-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Cook (Post 1305162)
I assume Saltines are a sort of salty savoury cracker? I love anything toffee/caramelly. Can't wait to go and find the recipe.

Here is a recipe that shows clearly what a Saltine is. It's probably called something else over there. If you do a search for Saltine Cracker Cookies you will get many variations other than this plain one.

Saltine cracker toffee {gramma's recipe} I Heart Nap Time | I Heart Nap Time - Easy recipes, DIY crafts, Homemaking

bakechef 09-30-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolPa (Post 1305153)

Well the first time I made it, we were drinking chocolate martinis, and it still came out perfect. I did, by mistake put the saucepan back onto the stove without turning it off... Went into the kitchen to a saucepan with a column of black smoke pouring out of it! Took me a week to get the pan clean! I no longer drink while making candy...