Storing leeks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
A friend gave me 4 or 5 clumps of leeks (roots and dirt still on, floppy tops). I don't have time to do anything with any of them until Sunday (I love leeks!). I have never stored leeks before--never had an abundance of them. Ours get used up as they mature.

I plan on storing them using this method:

Storing For Flavor

A friend used to saute them and freeze them for use in soups. Any other ideas of how to prep them for later use or store them? Has anyone stored them in cold storage in sawdust, for example?

Nice link, CW.
I only buy them on an as needed basis, but am always curious how much mileage you can get from storing fresh veggies. I too like leeks and don't use them often enough :yum:

Nice link, CW.
I only buy them on an as needed basis, but am always curious how much mileage you can get from storing fresh veggies. I too like leeks and don't use them often enough :yum:
Leeks are too pricey for my budget usually. I figure I have 50-60 leeks and 3 months to use them up!:yum: I have potatoes that I dug from the garden so you know what is on my to-do list in the kitchen this weekend. I also have some cooked bacon in the freezer....

Hey, my first reply! :LOL:
These glitches are getting too weird. I thought this thread got lost and was re-started.

Anyway, that's a LOTTA leeks!
What size are they? Leeks in the stores here run anywhere from 3/4" to 1-1/2" in diameter. It's amazing the size variation.
I'm jealous. 50-60 leeks? Wow. That's a lot of potato and leek soup :yum:
That Viking green soup recipe I posted also used leeks and was pretty good.

Hey, my first reply! :LOL:
These glitches are getting too weird. I thought this thread got lost and was re-started.

Anyway, that's a LOTTA leeks!
What size are they? Leeks in the stores here run anywhere from 3/4" to 1-1/2" in diameter. It's amazing the size variation.
I'm jealous. 50-60 leeks? Wow. That's a lot of potato and leek soup :yum:
That Viking green soup recipe I posted also used leeks and was pretty good.
They are "market size." Really, really nice leeks. The ones I have managed to grow ended up the size of green onions. I'm really impressed by these and if I could have pulled off a back flip when she asked me if I wanted leeks, I would have.

I can see you slowly turning and the grin growing as you walked away with your bags of leeks :LOL:
As CW says: "Leeks? Uh, sure I can use some. I'll help you use them up." (mahahahaw :devilish: )
:LOL:

I think the slice, saute and freeze idea is the best. Oh man that will smell gooood!!

That's pretty much how I store leeks. I'm not overly fond of them except in leek and potato soup. I use Julia Child's recipe and it is really simple: 1 part sliced leeks, 1 part diced potatoes, 1.5 parts water. Simmer ~20 min, 'til tender. Whiz with the immersion blender, or use a food mill or food processor. Yummy.

Got another 4 clumps of leeks on Friday. I am bringing 9 leeks to my dr. on Tuesday (along with a red cabbage and some of the last tomatoes). I am substituting leeks for onions since I have about 90-100 leeks to use up in the next 3 months.

Back
Top Bottom