Ham Cooked in Cola

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mad Cook

Master Chef
Going back to the "What wouldn't you like to see on your plate" thread, the above has become very popular on the dinner party circuit over here courtesy of Nigella Lawson who's included it in a couple of her books.

I find it interesting that people rave about how fabulous it is but rarely seem to serve it more than once. I wonder if this is significant? "Emperor's New Clothes" ie "we're having it because it's fashionable and we want to look on trend but we don't like it much"?

Is this a dish you have much in America and what is it really like?

Incidentally, we once took a holiday house for a month and the loo was disgusting. The shops were closed and there were no cleaning materials available. We were at a loss until someone remembered reading that coca cola was a good cleaning agent. Someone else pulled a big bottle of the stuff out of her bag and poured it round the toilet bowl and left it to stand while we unpacked and went out for fish and chips and a pint or two.

When we came back we flushed and, lo and behold, a sparkling spotless loo! Hate to think what it does to your insides to say nothing of your teeth.

I have heard and read of using cola for cooking purposes to apparently add sweetness. I have never done it or known anyone to use it.
I did see fried Coca-cola at a fair a couple years ago.

I've heard of using it to braise, but it is just one of the ingredients. I've also heard of using root beer in the same fashion. I believe there is a BBQ sauce in one of my books that uses root beer as well.

I have heard of it, never done it.

I like to roast meat without a sweet glaze, I like to use the drippings for gravies, frying potatoes etc.

I do sometimes "paint" a baked ham with a little pure maple syrup while it is resting, waiting to be carved.

An exception to every rule, don't it drive ya nuts! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I've made pulled pork with cola in the CP a number of times, pretty good stuff.

Never baked a ham with cola. My sister did pulled pork once with it. All she did was to put the pork butt in the crock pot, added a 12 oz. can of regular Coke and cook. She said it was some of the best pork she'd ever had. I have it on my list to try it the next time I get a pork butt. I may try the ham too.

I have heard of it but never tried it. I also have heard of a chocolate cake made with coca cola and our local volunteer fire company is known for their ham barbecue sandwiches, the sauce being made by combining coca cola and ketchup, I believe. Ham barbecue sandwiches are a really big thing in Pittsburgh.

I guess I should have checked before I posted. I found a recipe for the barbecue sauce and it does contain quite a few more ingredients.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-fantasy/coca-cola-barbeque-sauce-recipe/index.html

Last edited:
I have heard and read of using cola for cooking purposes to apparently add sweetness. I have never done it or known anyone to use it.
I did see fried Coca-cola at a fair a couple years ago.
Fried Coca cola, I'll have to think about that!

Was it used in fritters or something like that?

Never baked a ham with cola. My sister did pulled pork once with it. All she did was to put the pork butt in the crock pot, added a 12 oz. can of regular Coke and cook. She said it was some of the best pork she'd ever had. I have it on my list to try it the next time I get a pork butt. I may try the ham too.
That looks something like the methods I've seen. One of recipes (not one of NL's) said it MUST be Coca-cola not Pepsi or supermarket's own. Made me think it might originally have been an invention of the C-C company.

(I always thought that a pork butt was from the pig's back end but came across a diagram of American cuts of meat which said it's part of the pig's shoulder. One lives and learns.)

Last edited:
That looks something like the methods I've seen. One of recipes (not one of NL's) said it MUST be Coca-cola not Pepsi or supermarket's own. Made me think it might originally have been an invention of the C-C company.

Maybe, but many people are adamant about their preference for one or the other. I've never done a ham with cola, but I'm not a fan of baked ham, either. I like it smoked.

Back
Top Bottom