How to clean this wok

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kenny1999

Senior Cook
This is a very decent and expensive wok bought in the early 90s by my parents and they say it is a perfect work. Yes we 've used it for more than 20 years with no complaints at all but when I fried an egg with it yesterday it develops a lot of black **** like this (see picture below), I could hardly clean it at all with all my efforts, and the wok is stuck with this black thing. This is the first time - We used to clean the wok very easily and painlessly.

1. Why does it happen?
2. How to clean out the black thing?

See picture
a5fd64882b4a.jpg

Is that an aluminum wok? Did the eggs stick to the pan?

Most woks today are cast iron and a coating like that is desirable as a protection from rust.

That said, it burned on like that because the wok was too hot. A little Barkeepers Friend or other scouring powder should do the trick.

stainless steel. put a couple inches of water in it and boil it for a bit. then scrub. stainless steel never develops the non-stick that seasoning gives carbon steel.

Try a layer of baking soda, sprinkle with hydrogen peroxide (I keep a spray bottle of hydrogen peroxide handy for this), another layer of baking soda (I put the baking soda in one of those shakers you see at pizza places for parm cheese/hot pepper flakes) and let the wok sit for an hour or so. It should wipe clean. I do this with my baking sheets all the time. Otherwise, Barkeeper's Secret works great on stainless.

Last edited:
hi guys

I am thread starter. I am not sure if it's made of pure Aluminium or stainless steel. But I think as the wok has been used for more than 20 YEARS without any problems on its surface I believe that it should be stainless steel. I would like to know if the suggested method above (soda+hot water) will work for either Aluminium or Stainless steel

Thanks.

My flat mate has done this may times and we use steel wool under running water to really scrub the pan, it takes ages sometimes and will make you tired, but will remove it all. Ours are steel though but I assume the same would work with alloy.

hi guys

I am thread starter. I am not sure if it's made of pure Aluminium or stainless steel. But I think as the wok has been used for more than 20 YEARS without any problems on its surface I believe that it should be stainless steel. I would like to know if the suggested method above (soda+hot water) will work for either Aluminium or Stainless steel

Thanks.
I've used soda + hydrogen peroxide on both surfaces. I've also used soda and hot water.

hi guys

Thanks.

Use BARKEEPERS FRIEND. It's a miracle worker.

1. Hot pan, cold oil.
2. Oil shimmers, start cooking.
3. Ya's forgit somethin', ya's gots whats ya's gots now!
4. All that scrubbing is taking off all that cooked in goodness.
5. I refer thee to "The Breath of A Wok" by Grace Young, either book or YouTube.

I wish ya luck!

Aluminum or steel? Easy-peasy. Test it with a magnet.

I very much doubt it's aluminum. Uncoated aluminum is a very poor material for cookware because you cannot cook acidic substances in exposed aluminum cookware. The acid reacts with the aluminum and releases toxic aluminum salts into your food.

I don't see any reason to not use steel wool. If there's any kind of patina it will grow back.

Back
Top Bottom