Flat Bacon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsLMB

Executive Chef
I had never heard of this before today.

Anybody do this?

I don't have a problem keeping my bacon flat, but this intrigues me .. why would it work?

"Love bacon but can't stand the way it curls up when you cook it?

There's an easy fix for that.

When you open the package fill it with cold water and then pour the water out.

Cook it as you normally would after that and it stays flat!

Go ahead and try it, it really works!"

Go ahead and try it, it really works!

These kinds of statements make me immediately suspicious ;)

I have no idea. However, I cook bacon on a sheet pan in the oven, which keeps it flat and is hands-off, so I don't get splattered with grease and I don't have to baby-sit it so I can concentrate on something else. Works great for me!

Never heard of it.

I'm not ashamed to have curly bacon, I sort of prefer it.

The oven method is great and does keep it flat, I use it when cooking a large amount of bargain bacon. I freeze it and then just pull a couple of slices when I want it for a sandwich or breakfast.

I have also seen cast iron bacon presses. I would probably buy one of those if I saw it at a garage sale or thrift shop for a buck. I would be more apt to use it as a panino press, not for bacon.

I've never heard of this either.
The method I use to keep it flat when frying it is to start it in a cold pan or griddle. Adding bacon to a hot pan will curl it.

Never heard of it.

I'm not ashamed to have curly bacon, I sort of prefer it.

The oven method is great and does keep it flat, I use it when cooking a large amount of bargain bacon. I freeze it and then just pull a couple of slices when I want it for a sandwich or breakfast.

I have also seen cast iron bacon presses. I would probably buy one of those if I saw it at a garage sale or thrift shop for a buck. I would be more apt to use it as a panino press, not for bacon.

I have a panini press, but to me, it just creates two things that need to be cleaned, not just one! :ermm::LOL: I'd do that for panini, but not for bacon. And like I said, hands-off. I like that.

I had never heard of this before today.

Anybody do this?

I don't have a problem keeping my bacon flat, but this intrigues me .. why would it work?

"Love bacon but can't stand the way it curls up when you cook it?

There's an easy fix for that.

When you open the package fill it with cold water and then pour the water out.

Cook it as you normally would after that and it stays flat!

Go ahead and try it, it really works!"
But I like my bacon frilly (does that make me odd?)

I don't care if it curls. When I'm in a resto, I like it deep fried (I would do it, but seems like too much effort). I was shocked the first time I got deep fried bacon, but it was properly crispy. The friend with whom I was eating said, "It's bacon. It isn't going to pick up any grease." :LOL:

It's good deep fried. I like it wrapped around a hot dog and deep fried.

Flat bacon is just odd to me. I'd be more likely to think it wasn't really bacon if it didn't curl a bit. I like the fact that the whole strip is not crispy. Mine usually only curl up the ends in my CI skillet so it really doesn't bother me much.

The only reason I have a bacon press is because it has a pig on it...matches the rest of my piggy decor. And I couldn't find one with a unicorn on it...

I don't care if it curls. When I'm in a resto, I like it deep fried (I would do it, but seems like too much effort). I was shocked the first time I got deep fried bacon, but it was properly crispy. The friend with whom I was eating said, "It's bacon. It isn't going to pick up any grease." :LOL:

I used to ask for mine cooked that way when I worked in a restaurant but after a while they refused to do it any more because it caused the vat of cooking oil to break down.

Unless I need the fat I nuke my slices between paper towels. Flat, crispy, and all bacon flavor. :yum: Probably full of cancer-causing stuff from the towels off-gassing, but whadaheck.

.....I have also seen cast iron bacon presses. I would probably buy one of those if I saw it at a garage sale or thrift shop for a buck. I would be more apt to use it as a panino press, not for bacon.
I got one of those for $2 at super-discount store. Meh. Good for two, maybe three, half-slices of bacon. Since the press is way shorter than the bacon, what is under the press cooks faster and what is sticking out still gets curly. :LOL:

I've got mine set aside for my yard sale next year. It's yours if you pay for the shipping. ;) Pretty sure I can find which box it's in before then too.

If I'm going to cook bacon, it's the thick stuff and goes into the oven. That's flat enough for me. I'm usually not impressed with handy tips that adds more work to an effort. If for some reason I go stove top to cook bacon and some one had the nerve to demand that it stay flat, I would use the bacon press that decorates the shelf above the stove.

If I'm going to cook bacon, it's the thick stuff and goes into the oven. That's flat enough for me. I'm usually not impressed with handy tips that adds more work to an effort. If for some reason I go stove top to cook bacon and some one had the nerve to demand that it stay flat, I would use the bacon press that decorates the shelf above the stove.

On the nervy person? :ohmy::ROFLMAO:

The pig has a curly tail. :pig:

Bacon should be curly to reflect it's origin. ;)

But flat or curly it's "Bacon" :clap: and that's what matters in the grand scheme of things. :yum:

Back
Top Bottom