Alkaline alkalizing green smoothies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QuinnQuiver

Assistant Cook
So a lemon is a very acidic(pH 0-7) fruit but I heard that it is an alkalizing food...so when you digest it it's pH turns alkaline(ph 7-15)...is this correct? ....Lately have been drinking green smoothies(with kale and cucumber and spinach...super alkaline and alkalizing food) a lot more but I still get canker sores(from acidity) . I put a lot of lemon and lime in though because it makes the smoothies delicious(+mango/banana/kiwi/etc). So is like my stomach like super alkaline while my mouth is super acidic or something now? I use baking soda toothpaste. I put a lot of greens in my smoothies...how much does a few tablespoons of lemon and lime change the pH of a blender volume amount of green smoothie(with about a 1/3 water pH of 7 a 1/3 of greens(very alkaline) and a 1/3 of fruits(that may or may not be acid)+lemon/lime juice)
I would think they since there is a third of each that they would balance out around a pH of 7 but it doesn't seem so due to my canker sores.... I am searching the google for more info on green smoothie pH to be more scientific about this but I'd thought I'd post this here also just to see if I'd get any helpful info back.

Acid foods can cause canker sores (had to look this up - we call the little blighters "mouth ulcers"), but so can stress, injury, poor mouth hygiene (eg not brushing your teeth properly), a weakened immune system, gastro-intestinal disease or nutritional problems.

I have had gastric reflux disease for most of my life and also had mouth ulcers (sometimes multiple ones!). A few years back I went to the doctor about the GRD and was prescribed Lansoprazole which dealt with the GFD. I haven't had a mouth ulcer since.

When I did have mouth ulcers I tried every remedy known to man, from the home-made, such as rinsing with diluted hydrogen peroxide, salt, baking soda, etc., to over-the-counter remedies and nothing worked. Then I discovered the cure quite by accident. Don't sneer - it was honey applied onto the ulcer! It soothes the pain (and no-one who hasn't had one can have any concept of how painful mouth ulcers can be - I sometimes couldn't eat when I had them!), it cleans out the white gunk from the ulcer and it speeds up the healing. It really does work!

I'd suggest you visit your dentist as a sharp edge on a chipped tooth could be causing ulcers in your mouth and the dentist or the dental hygienist will also advise you on mouth hygiene.

A visit to your doctor to find out if there is any under-lying health problem would be useful. I know that visiting the doctor or the dentist in America is "a considered purchase" as they say on shopping television, and isn't to be undertaken lightly but in this case it could be worth the expense if it sorts out your problem. It isn't trivial if it's affecting your life to this extent.

In the mean time do try the honey. Any sort will do. It doesn't have to be the very expensive sort.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom