Savory Oatmeal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhizara

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I've recently been diagnosed with Diabetes2, and have bought some oatmeal to add to my diet.

I liked oatmeal okay when Mom used to make it, but avoided it because it doesn't really look appetising. Because of the diabetes, I won't be making it sweet, but would probably like it if I can make it pleasantly savory.

I'm thinking margarine, garlic and some kind of savory type spices.

Any ideas?

I have seen it in recipes added to ground meats to form loaves or sausage patties...In Scotland they make something called Lorne or Square Slice. I met a Scottish butcher a few weeks ago at one of my gigs. We got talking about regional food and he told me about this. He said they used oats as filler. I have since googled a bunch of recipes and can only find breadcrumbs as the filler, but I'm sure the two are interchangeable. The cool thing about this sausage is that you don't need casings. They put them into a mold which forms the sqare shape. I suppose you could probably use a bread pan...http://www.food.com/recipe/scottish-lorne-sausages-square-breakfast-sausage-389024

Last edited:
I use it in place of bread crumbs in meatloaf. I would think it could be used as a bread crumb replacement in other things too.

While not savory, I use it with agave nectar (better for diabetics than other sugars, doesn't raise the glycemic index) in oatmeal bars, pretty darn good.

How about some cheese, crumbled bacon, ham etc...

If you make soup you can add a couple tablespoons as a thickener.

I like it plain with a little butter or skim milk on it.

Make a pot of oatmeal using beef or chicken stock in place of water. Flavor it with onion, garlic. Sauté some meat/poultry cubes or ground beef and mix that in. Meal in a bowl.

Wow! Good ideas. I especially like your idea, Andy, because I just boiled up some turkey necks and made a huge pot of turkey broth, made with 7 cloves of garlic, a chopped onion and nothing else. I've gotta try that as the liquid.

I plan on making brown rice with some of the turkey broth and a package of onion soup mix. I haven't made brown rice in years.

Gee, this diabetes thing might just end up being fun.

Z, I'd get the whole grain oats that require soaking and long cooking. They are a more complete food. Then you can use them in many recipes that all for barley, quinoa and other grains.

You could probably make 'oat'sotto using oats in place of rice.

I eat oatmeal, grits, and other breakfast grains with ground black pepper on them, a bit of coconut oil. Or, I drizzle with Frank's hot sauce. I have also made oatmeal with curry. I prefer savory over sweet, so am always trying new combos re: grains in the morning, including oatmeal.

If you can get cavena (naked oats, rice of the prairies), it is amazing stuff. I love it.

Last edited:
We eat delicious oatmeal all sufficient time. I add steel cut oatmeal to soups, as if they're barley, too. I think that you really want to only use steel cut oats for delicious recipes. Otherwise you will probably end up with a prevent of mush! When I'm really feeling low and need some comfort food, I create a pilaf of oats with some browned butter, salt and roasted maple nut.

Vegetable Oats

I've recently been diagnosed with Diabetes2, and have bought some oatmeal to add to my diet.

I liked oatmeal okay when Mom used to make it, but avoided it because it doesn't really look appetising. Because of the diabetes, I won't be making it sweet, but would probably like it if I can make it pleasantly savory.

I'm thinking margarine, garlic and some kind of savory type spices.

Any ideas?

Vegetable oats, lentil oats are best. I am eating it and its very tasty.

Back
Top Bottom