New Wine Cooler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roadfix

Chef Extraordinaire
We're looking to install a built-in wine cooler in place of an old dish washer we don't use. We'd never been dish washer users to begin with so we don't need a new washer. We'd like a built-in, front vented wine cooler in its place as it's a standard under cabinet appliance opening.
We want to move up to a nicer, larger capacity cooler from the small, counter top unit we currently have. Any particular type or brands we should look at or avoid?

I think I'm going the used route on this appliance, after visiting a couple of showrooms and pricing them. New, under counter units run between $600 to $2,000+ and I'm definitely not going to spend that kind of money just to chill a few bottles of wine. Similar units on Craigslist, for instance, can be found for about a third of the price of a new one. I'll keep looking...:)

I can't offer any suggestions. I have two freestanding wine fridges. But for the most part, I just keep most bottles in the cellar, which stays at about the right temperature most of the year.

For us it was a matter of what we were going to do with that empty cabinet space where the old, ugly, broken KitchenAid dishwasher used to be. It was either getting a new dishwasher which we will never use or a wine & beverage cooler which obviously will get practical use.

As much as I love my wine, I'd rather have the under counter refrigerator drawers to be used for so much more than just wine. I see however that they are very expensive too.
Have you thought of having a professional make a matching cabinet or drawers for that space? That would probably be the least expensive.
Keep in mind, if you ever sell your house, not having a dishwasher would be a negative factor.

Last edited:
Kayelle.....I'm actually looking for a dual zone cooler so half the cooler space can be set at much lower temps for other beverages, which will free up some space in our main fridge.
And if we ever decide to sell the house the kitchen would need a major make over anyway so a dishwasher would be re-installed.

Last edited:
So you're looking at something like this RF? Magic Chef Dual Zone Digital Wine and Beverage Cooler - MCWBC77DZC

Sounds like a plan! :)
MCWBC77DZC.html

^^^ Yes, in fact I've looked at that exact unit under another brand name, similarly priced. I'm actually leaning towards a unit with French doors, a little more expensive, new, but seen a couple used ones listed on Craigslist.

If I were doing it again, I would probably go with a wine/beverage cooler combo. Ours is pretty much meant for wine only, the temp goes from 41-65F. When we built the house 9 years ago, they were just becoming popular around here and we didn't know much about them. We bought a VinoTemp from Costco. It really isn't zoned other than it is cooler in the bottom racks, we keep beer and club soda and such in it and it's pretty cold. I also use it for extra fridge space for individual salad plates etc. when entertaining. The racks are adjustable. Hope you find what you are looking for Roadfix! image-1026074300.jpg

Our cooler purchase has been put on hold for the time being due to problems with our fridge. Wife now wants a new fridge but I told her I can fix our 13 yr old fridge. I'm now awaiting parts I ordered on Amazon.
Good thing we have a second, old fridge in our garage.

Back to the wine cooler search again.

Since my last post on this thread I installed a cheap (as in temporary), undersided, free-standing unit in the undercabinet where the dishwasher used to be. Anyway, that unit stopped working a few weeks ago so I'm now back to where I was 4 years ago... looking for a good, built-in cooler.

Last edited:
Our cooler purchase has been put on hold for the time being due to problems with our fridge. Wife now wants a new fridge but I told her I can fix our 13 yr old fridge. I'm now awaiting parts I ordered on Amazon.
Good thing we have a second, old fridge in our garage.

I have two of those cheap small coolers. Both are around 10 yeas old and still working. I think I paid around a hundred bucks at Lowes.

You may not have enough air circulation at the rear. Mine are rear vented. Those intended to be built in have front sources of air.

We have a small Avanti, but it is used for curing/aging charcuterie these days.

OK. Finally ordered a new cooler this morning. My wife's been bugging me about it and she even offered to pay for it so I put my butt in gear and ordered one online before she changed her mind.... :LOL:
I ordered an under-cabinet, 54-bottle cooler, made by Avallon.

Oh, that looks neat. Is it worth it to not have a dishwasher though?

I'll just enjoy looking at yours. The closest I ever get to wine is when I mix lemonade Gatorade and 7-Up together.

I've found that the real expense of a wine cooler is not the purchase price, but the ongoing maintenance. The damn thing needs to be constantly restocked!

Oh, that looks neat. Is it worth it to not have a dishwasher though?
I think I've used a dishwasher only once or twice in my life. Every apartment and house I've lived in had a dishwasher but I washed everything by hand.

I've found that the real expense of a wine cooler is not the purchase price, but the ongoing maintenance. The damn thing needs to be constantly restocked!
I hear ya.... but we don't drink that much wine. My wife basically wanted that unsightly empty dishwasher space under the counter filled with something pretty.....:LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom