How do I boil potatoes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Countrywalks

Assistant Cook
Hi to everyone here, this is my first post and as you can tell im new to kooking so i need some very simple basics to get me a good start so i dont pick up any bad habits from the start.

How do i boil red desiree potatoes?

my cooker goes from one to six 0 = off
if i put them on 6 they bubble and throth up and over flowing the saucepan, and on 2 they seem to simmer, and on 3 they boil very gentle, and on 4 they start to over flow the pan again, so how do you guys do it?

the potato will be used for mash when they are soft.

TIA

I was told many years ago that root vegetables are best simmered so they cook evenly throughout. Now I'm not a professional chef, but that's what works for me.
I always rinse the potatoes after they have been cut to wash off some of the starch, which is what causes the froth. At least that is what my Oma told me.:)

And, welcome to DC.

Well, you want the setting to give you boiling without boiling over.

For mashed, it's better to cut the potatoes into uniform chunks for faster more uniform cooking. Put the cut up potatoes into well salted tap water the put the pot on the hob. Bring the water to a boil then adjust to keep the pot from boiling over.

If boil over remains an issue, use a larger pot.

I also rinse the red potatoes, cut out any bad spots, put them in a pot and cover them with water and simmer until tender. My stove has no numbers, adjustments are all made by looking at the flame and guessing how much it takes to getting them gently simmering. If it's just a few red potatoes, 5 or 6, into a bowl and into the microwave. I can't remember red potatoes frothing up, boiling over, yes, but not frothing. I boiled 10 pounds of reds Sunday night and had good luck with a simmer.
Don't worry, you'll get it, just keep at it. I'm still learning myself and hope to keep learning.

Years ago, one of our well known TV cooks (Delia Smith) had a series literally called "How to Boil an Egg". She covered all the absolute basics (including how to boil an egg obviously). Because she realised that the art of home cooking was dying out and not being passed on through the generations. It was a very popular series and very useful for a lot of people.

Nothing is simple if you have never done it before. So welcome and good luck Countrywalks - I hope your mashed potato is a success! (I use Desirees all the time - they are one of my favourite varieties.) :)

I steam my potatoes in a plastic bag in the microwave for 7 minutes at full power, then I squeeze them through a potato ricer. The potato comes out the bottom and the skin gets left inside the ricer. Add milk, butter and a bit of salt and your good to go.

I steam my potatoes in a plastic bag in the microwave for 7 minutes at full power, then I squeeze them through a potato ricer. The potato comes out the bottom and the skin gets left inside the ricer. Add milk, butter and a bit of salt and your good to go.

Hm, never thought of that! I always use a potato ricer for my mash (takes all the hard work out of it!) ;)

do you leave the lid on the pan?if you do this can raise the temperature in the pan & cause it to boil over.i peel me spuds,cut them in same size chunks so that they cook at the time,as rocketj said,rinse in a few changes of water to remove starch,put in pan of cold water,add salt,bring to boil with lid on to speed up boiling then move lid slightly to one side to allow steam to escape & turn heat down to simmer.i use a ricer too,they are ace!!

Attachments

• FISH PIE 003.JPG
    FISH PIE 003.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 203
  • FISH PIE 004.JPG
    FISH PIE 004.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 208
do you leave the lid on the pan?if you do this can raise the temperature in the pan & cause it to boil over.i peel me spuds,cut them in same size chunks so that they cook at the time,as rocketj said,rinse in a few changes of water to remove starch,put in pan of cold water,add salt,bring to boil with lid on to speed up boiling then move lid slightly to one side to allow steam to escape & turn heat down to simmer.i use a ricer too,they are ace!!

Hey, no fair! Your ricer has holes in the sides as well as the bottom - mine doesn't! Do I have a sub-standard potato ricer? :ohmy:

Hi to everyone here, this is my first post and as you can tell im new to kooking so i need some very simple basics to get me a good start so i dont pick up any bad habits from the start.

How do i boil red desiree potatoes?

my cooker goes from one to six 0 = off
if i put them on 6 they bubble and throth up and over flowing the saucepan, and on 2 they seem to simmer, and on 3 they boil very gentle, and on 4 they start to over flow the pan again, so how do you guys do it?

the potato will be used for mash when they are soft.

TIA
Never mind the numbers. Just adjust the flame so it keeps the pan at a gentle boil. As others say, a ricer is very useful but I use my electric hand mixer although you have to watch you don't go too far and produce wall paper paste.

Welcome to DC, There are a few of us Brits here and the Americans make us feel very welcome.

Last edited:
For mashed I peel and cube the taters to roughly equal size chunks.

Throw the spuds in a pot and cover with water.

Bring to a high simmer or low boil and cook until a fork pierces them easily.

I don't use a ricer. I drain and mash the taters with a masher. Then add butter. milk, and seasonings in the proportions desired.

I whip them up with a spoon and all is good to go.

I'm one of those who doesn't mind a few small lumps because it tells me they are real potatoes and not those boxed delights. But I do appreciate silky smooth mashed taters.

As mentioned earlier, Don't over whip or you'll get glue. And if boil over is a problem then use a bigger pot.

And as always. Experiment and enjoy. :chef:

Anyone can cook. It's just that some don't know it yet. ;)

Hey, no fair! Your ricer has holes in the sides as well as the bottom - mine doesn't! Do I have a sub-standard potato ricer? :ohmy:

I've had both kinds. Holes on the side squirt the potatoes into undesired locations.

...I'm one of those who doesn't mind a few small lumps because it tells me they are real potatoes and not those boxed delights...

If you're making the mashed, don't you already know they aren't from a box?:chef:

I don't usually add milk or cream to my mash. I always add butter though. I guess I prefer a slightly less "creamy" mash because I usually serve it with a stew and the slightly drier mash is great for soaking up the gravy.

But TL, I assume you recommend warming the milk/cream because otherwise it would cool the mash down too much?

I don't usually add milk or cream to my mash. I always add butter though. I guess I prefer a slightly less "creamy" mash because I usually serve it with a stew and the slightly drier mash is great for soaking up the gravy.

But TL, I assume you recommend warming the milk/cream because otherwise it would cool the mash down too much?
Bingo, give the lady a cupie doll.

I often make mashed potatoes with potato water instead of milk or cream.

Bingo, give the lady a cupie doll.

I often make mashed potatoes with potato water instead of milk or cream.

Do you ever add blue cheese to your mash TL? I love to crumble in something like Stilton. Only problem is I often end up just scoffing half of it there and then! :pig:

Do you ever add blue cheese to your mash TL? I love to crumble in something like Stilton. Only problem is I often end up just scoffing half of it there and then! :pig:
Nope, never thought of it. Stilton! :pig: We had that for the first time last year. Swoon, that is one lovely cheese.

Back
Top Bottom