What are the quick ways to store basil?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
It's going down to -1 C tonight, so I finally brought my herbs in.

The basil plant is four feet tall and has a lot of leaves. I want to trim it, a lot. What's the quickest way to deal with a lot of basil leaves? Yeah, I will be making pesto, but not that much pesto in one go. I seem to remember someone saying to chop the basil and put it in ice cube trays with EVO. Does that sound reasonable? Are there other steps? Any tips or hints? Any other ways to keep it "almost fresh"?

Last edited:
In the ice tray with water, chiffonade the basil. Then you can toss the cube into whatever you are making.

In the ice tray with water, chiffonade the basil. Then you can toss the cube into whatever you are making.
Well yeah, that would work when I want basil as a seasoning. I don't think it would work for pesto. Do you know if an oil chiffonade would work for pesto?

Chopped in a ziplock bag with a little water pressed flat.

No need for the work of ice cube trays.

Just break off what you need

Stores better, too

I blitz the leaves with EVO to make a thickish mixture, add nothing else and freeze mine in ice-cube trays. I then keep them in a plastic ice-cream box, label it as ' Basil bombs' and use at will. This method suits me fine as I am not restricted by any other flavors except the basil ( and the EVO of course). I love pesto but not every time

I blitz the leaves with EVO to make a thickish mixture, add nothing else and freeze mine in ice-cube trays. I then keep them in a plastic ice-cream box, label it as ' Basil bombs' and use at will. This method suits me fine as I am not restricted by any other flavors except the basil ( and the EVO of course). I love pesto but not every time
Can you make pesto with your basil bombs?

Can you make pesto with your basil bombs?

I haven't done this, so can not speak w/ experience. My guess is yes you can. You are just going on to the next step making pesto.
Why not make some into pesto and some into basil bombs.

Frozen basil/ oil changes color from a deeper green to a yellow green whne frozen. It greens up again when thawed.

Was it in DC I read to use cup cake liners to freeze smaller size pesto portions rather than larger freezer baggie size. Anyway, I did this recent. Great for small serving sizes.

Did you bring the whole pot in? Maybe you can set it out in the day time again for awhile.

I haven't done this, so can not speak w/ experience. My guess is yes you can. You are just going on to the next step making pesto.
Why not make some into pesto and some into basil bombs.

Frozen basil/ oil changes color from a deeper green to a yellow green whne frozen. It greens up again when thawed.

Was it in DC I read to use cup cake liners to freeze smaller size pesto portions rather than larger freezer baggie size. Anyway, I did this recent. Great for small serving sizes.

Did you bring the whole pot in? Maybe you can set it out in the day time again for awhile.
I want to get this done quickly. Pesto takes longer than basil bombs. I will probably make some pesto and the most of the rest into basil bombs. Thanks for the suggestion of the cupcake liners. I have a couple of silcone muffin tins that I use for freezing stock that I could use.

It has gotten really chilly here. The pot is also large and unwieldy with a 4' plant. It's unseasonably warm not cold for Quebec. We can expect wintry temperatures soon and snow is probably not too far off.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom