Baby Back Ribs Inside

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roll_Bones

Master Chef
I have a rack of very meaty baby back ribs. Very meaty and heavy.
I have seasoned them with with a mixture of pressed fresh garlic and olive oil emulsified a little. I have also sprinkled salt, pepper and homemade Cajun seasoning over them very well. They are highly seasoned.

Its to cold for a grill or smoker, so its the oven for me.
Can anyone help me out?
I have done ribs in the oven before, but they are just good. I want better than good.

I am open to some BBQ sauce and liquid smoke which I have both on hand.
The ribs are resting in my seasoning mixture until tomorrow evening.
Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks in Advance............John

I thought there was going to be a picture of some baby back ribs inside this thread :(

After I get my ribs all rubbed down, I wrap them individually in foil and throw them in a 230F oven for 3-4 hrs depending on their size. After that time, I unwrap them, place them on a roasting rack, slather them with BBQ sauce and under the broiler they go. I do each side two or three times. I love to grab a bone, give it a little twist and pull it out. :yum:

I would add some liquid smoke and, if you have some, smoked paprika. If you don't have some, get some ;) The first time I made ribs in the oven, when DH tasted it, he thought I had somehow smoked it.

I would add some liquid smoke and, if you have some, smoked paprika. If you don't have some, get some ;) The first time I made ribs in the oven, when DH tasted it, he thought I had somehow smoked it.

You got that right GG. Since we bought the condo smoked paprika has replaced regular paprika in all my pork rubs. For brisket I prefer liquid smoke.

Thanks. Your suggestions have now given me enough to experiment some.

I am going to bake them on low heat 225-250°f covered with foil for a few hours.
I will then uncover them, baste them with BBQ sauce, the drippings and LS as I brown them up under the broiler. I may forgo the LS as these ribs are so garlicky. I might even skip the BBQ sauce altogether and go more towards a mojo.
Lots to think about here......LOl But at least i have several options.

GG. Who is DH? And yes, I do keep smoked paprika on hand at all times.

Thanks everyone. I will take a picture of the results.

Last edited:
+1 on smoked paprika. Returning from Yellowstone this fall the bride and I stopped in Boise to visit the Basque district (bit of a let down but we still enjoyed it). Talked hard to get her to pick up some smoked paprika but she gave in after 5 seconds or so. Finally used it on a roasted chicken now we are just looking for another excuse.

My father used to do oven ribs and they came out great. I asked him his method and it was just the opposite of the rest of the known world. I don't remember times or temps, but he roasts them uncovered first, then adds his sauce and covers them to finish.
Tasty...

Okay. Update. They came out fabulous. No pictures though.

I put them on a sheet pan wrapped in the same foil they had been resting in. 3.0 hours at 250°.
Open up the foil and poured the drippings into a glass measuring cup with some BBQ sauce.
Returned to the broiler until nice and brown, slathering sauce and shaking liquid smoke on them.
I could not turn them over as they were too tender.

Removed from oven and covered them back up in the foil.
They were excellent with the exception they might have been to tender.
Next time I will not cook for 3 hours.
I will cook for two hours at 250° and check to see if they can be lifted without breaking.

I served homemade garlic bread, cole slaw and baked beans.

Thanks everyone. MDW loved them.

Contrary to popular opinion, ribs should not be "falling off the bone". Look for the meat to shrink back from the ends of the ribs and feel a little loose in the meat.

Contrary to popular opinion, ribs should not be "falling off the bone". Look for the meat to shrink back from the ends of the ribs and feel a little loose in the meat.
I have had them many ways and I prefer falling off the bone. I braise mine covered in a about half of an inch of watered down tomato juice and a few garlic cloves, liquid smoke and some bbq rub or Monreal steak spice. Then, they are well done(after about an hour at 300) I finish them on a rack for another hour while saucing them liberally with a sweet/spicey home made sauce.
Then, I use a vinegary style hot sauce like Texas Pete. The whole sweet/salty/tangy/spicey combo is very nice...

This has been my opinion as well. I usually use my outdoor smoker and they never get this tender. I can always pick them up with tongs.
I do like a little bite to my ribs. This along with the true smoke flavor makes for an excellent rack of ribs.

But yesterday proved, preconceived notions are not always correct.
They came out much better than expected.
I think my wife liked them better than the ones I cook outside.

So in the winter, we have fall off the bones savory ribs in sweet BBQ sauce.
When the weather permits, we will have smoked ribs that do not fall off the bone and enjoy them that way as well.

Thanks Again Everyone.

As far as the foiled slabs being too tender to handle out of the oven, I cut my slabs in half then foil them individually before cooking. They're more manageable this way.

I don't care for 'fall-off-the-bone' ribs but ribs foiled and done in the oven always tend to come out this way for me. My family loves it.
I personally prefer a firmer bite and pull which I get from not foiling them when done in smokers, outdoor, for instance.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom