Need PC advise.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
My parents, mid seventies, finally decided to get PC. Originally I thought to buy new one for me and give them my old one, but alas it is not really working anymore. I'm glad I did not have chance to give it to them So I decided to buy them a new PC. I like Dell, and will probably stick to it, because my work has a discount with them. Obviously my parents do not need anything lose to fancy PC I buy for myself. All they will use it for is SKYPE, Internet, cannot imagine anything else they might need.
So what do you think is a bare minimum I should look for?
Any advise is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

My parents, mid seventies, finally decided to get PC. Originally I thought to buy new one for me and give them my old one, but alas it is not really working anymore. I'm glad I did not have chance to give it to them So I decided to buy them a new PC. I like Dell, and will probably stick to it, because my work has a discount with them. Obviously my parents do not need anything lose to fancy PC I buy for myself. All they will use it for is SKYPE, Internet, cannot imagine anything else they might need.
So what do you think is a bare minimum I should look for?
Any advise is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Charlie, maybe all they need is a tablet like an iPad or similar. My SO could not get comfortable with a PC. I gave her an old laptop, then she bought a netbook. She hated them both. She then bought an iPad and loves it! She sends and receives email, shops online, searches websites, is on Facebook and plays Word With Friends games.

It's worth considering and not expensive.

My thought was an iPad too. However, they may need a PC or an iPhone in order to download apps from iTunes, though I could be wrong, the technology may have changed. That was how it was a few years ago when I first got my iPad.

My thought was an iPad too. However, they may need a PC or an iPhone in order to download apps from iTunes, though I could be wrong, the technology may have changed. That was how it was a few years ago when I first got my iPad.

We download apps directly onto the iPad.

I would definitely recommend a tablet, even though I'm an android fan, and iPad would be a great choice, since they are very user friendly. They no longer need a computer to make them work. A previous generation would be great for them since they don't need bleeding edge tech.

A wifi router can be had for around $20 and would fit their needs perfectly.

I would definitely recommend a tablet, even though I'm an android fan, and iPad would be a great choice, since they are very user friendly. They no longer need a computer to make them work. A previous generation would be great for them since they don't need bleeding edge tech.

A wifi router can be had for around $20 and would fit their needs perfectly.

I'm wondering if they get the iPad 3G + wifi, would they need a router? It's more expensive, but might be a good idea in the long run. Mine is just wifi enabled.

Thank you everybody.
iPad will not work, you have to know my father, it will have to be something stationary. Desk top probably would have worked even better. But I will stick to a notebook.
Any ideas about that?

Thank you everybody.
iPad will not work, you have to know my father, it will have to be something stationary. Desk top probably would have worked even better. But I will stick to a notebook.
Any ideas about that?

Dell is a good company and they have good options for beginners. Katie bought a computer from them for her husband and said their customer service staff helped her pick the right one. Check out the basic, inexpensive models on the website and then give them a call.

Dell is a good company and they have good options for beginners. Katie bought a computer from them for her husband and said their customer service staff helped her pick the right one. Check out the basic, inexpensive models on the website and then give them a call.
I have no experience with Dell, but this sounds like good advice. I would think that any modern computer would be more than adequate. Good customer support is probably quite important in this case.

I talked to Dell, the one they recomended end up being $520. Not sure if it is a good deal or not. Wil probably go to Best Buy and see what they have and prices.

I have a small Acer laptop/netbook that I carry for school. It is small and it weighs very little. The only thing it does not have is the disc player bult into it.

Do NOT get anything with the Windows 7 Starter OS!! It came installed on my Acer and I hate hate hate hate it! I put the full Windows 8 on it and it is very nice!

These Acers can be bought at Walmart for less than $300.00.

With love,
~Cat

I love windows 7 and hate windoes 8, they do not work at all. They loaded them for us at work and after a month or so went back to 7, it is so much easier to deal with. Go figure.

But do not try to use the starter of Windows 7. Get the full version of this OS. It makes a very large difference.

I love Windows 8 but it is quite different.

If you buy the Acer, be sure to buy the 32-bit version of Windows 7 and not the 64.

With love,
~Cat

Thank you everybody.
Any ideas about that?

I agree with a full size computer and not a tablet for beginners. Your dad will like a desktop the best, but a good 17" Laptop would also work quite well for them. If they do not know how to use Windows, an Apple computer might be the best bet for ease of use?

A notebook is also a very good idea. But they are small. Small and old age do not mix well.

They will also need an internet connection. Using a wifi network in their home is the best possible way to accomplish this.
Using a 3g type service might get very expensive and in many ares the signal is just not good enough.
I would use cable or DSL for the ISP. With cable being my first choice.

Someone mentioned a router for $20.00. I have never seen one that cheap.
A third party router will run at least $100 for a decent model with firewall. The ISP may provide a wireless modem/router with a new account.

Buy them the computer and the router (unless the ISP provides one). Make sure they have internet service and set it up for them. Show them how to use it.

Dell has a service (Dellconnect I think?) where they (Dell) can take control of the computer should they need assistance. This will be free during the initial warrantee period. After the warrantee is up, you can buy more warrantee or just help them yourself.

I hope you are close enough to be able to assist them. A new computer for someone who has never used one will have a GIANT learning curve.

Last edited:
I think I am going to setle on this one: Inspiron 17 Laptop | Dell

That's the exact laptop I have Charlie, and I love mine. It's very fast and has good graphics.

I would recommend Windows 7 64-bit, which is optimized for the processor in that model. I agree with you about Windows 8. I use it at work and don't like it at all. I find lots of little bugs that are annoying.

Last edited:
OH, great, thank you Steve. I'm glad Iposted this here and I am even motr glad you have the same one to chaim in on the product. Awesome. Thank you.

I don;t know any tips to offer up to this point, which is why I kept my mouth shut for once. Mostly I like my desktop. However, the last time I took mine in for maintenance I picked up a Dell Inspiron from them as a loaner ( it isn't free, not sure why it's called a "Loaner", like a car loaner, I expect they're not free anymore either.) Anyway, I loved loved that Inspiron.

I agree with a full size computer and not a tablet for beginners. Your dad will like a desktop the best, but a good 17" Laptop would also work quite well for them. If they do not know how to use Windows, an Apple computer might be the best bet for ease of use?

A notebook is also a very good idea. But they are small. Small and old age do not mix well.

They will also need an internet connection. Using a wifi network in their home is the best possible way to accomplish this.
Using a 3g type service might get very expensive and in many ares the signal is just not good enough.
I would use cable or DSL for the ISP. With cable being my first choice.

Someone mentioned a router for $20.00. I have never seen one that cheap.
A third party router will run at least $100 for a decent model with firewall. The ISP may provide a wireless modem/router with a new account.

Buy them the computer and the router (unless the ISP provides one). Make sure they have internet service and set it up for them. Show them how to use it.

Dell has a service (Dellconnect I think?) where they (Dell) can take control of the computer should they need assistance. This will be free during the initial warrantee period. After the warrantee is up, you can buy more warrantee or just help them yourself.

I hope you are close enough to be able to assist them. A new computer for someone who has never used one will have a GIANT learning curve.

Something like this is all a basic user needs, it provides a firewall and other security features.

TRENDnet TEW-711BR N150 Wireless Home Router IEEE 802.11b/g/n, IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.3az - Newegg.com

This doesn't include the modem itself, but is in addition to the modem. Most ISP charge monthly for the modem and a premium for that modem with wireless, so this would pay for itself in no time.

If you are going with cable internet a modem/wireless combo can be had for around $100, at Target among other retailers, that would eliminate the equipment fee all together.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom