Gingerbread houses?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

farmertrish

Assistant Cook
Anyone else make gingerbread house? I have only made 2 in my life. I'm going to have the grandkids over Thanksgiving weekend and thought that decorating a gingerbread house would be fun. I'd like to make 4 small houses, one for each child, then let them decorate themselves. Just thinking that's A LOT of sugar and candy!

Maybe you would like to buy four kits. Then all you have to provide are the trimmings. I would suggest you get a kit for yourself so you can practice and give them some ideas. Or start cutting out pictures so they can get ideas from them. Then all you have to do is whip up some frosting and buy different candies. Buy extra as they will eat as much as they put on the houses.

I made two of them when I only had three kids and one of the was an infant. It was a LOT of work and sugar. Gingerbread can be hard to work with as the dough loves to be sticky. They were two very interesting houses. I doubt either the gingerbread boy or girl would want to live in one. Just like the trees the kids decorated over the years, however it came out, that is the way the houses stayed. They thought they were beautiful, and they were. Gumdrop shutters, chimney on the ground, and every time I had to leave their side to tend to the baby, mayhem broke out. Finally around February they agreed that the house should be put outside for the birds to eat. Their father took them finally down to the trash and buried in the bottom of the trash can.

I have to admire you for wanting to take on this task. Good luck. :angel:

A friend of mine used to have gingerbread people-making parties when her kids were young. Seems like that would be easier. I saw a tip somewhere that suggested using one or more muffin tins to hold the candies.

Anyone else make gingerbread house? I have only made 2 in my life. I'm going to have the grandkids over Thanksgiving weekend and thought that decorating a gingerbread house would be fun. I'd like to make 4 small houses, one for each child, then let them decorate themselves. Just thinking that's A LOT of sugar and candy!
I noticed the other day that Amazon have kits to make gingerbread houses with kids.

Ah this brings back memories! I remember my grandmother sending me a gingerbread house from Swiss Colony and after that I was determined to make one. From about the age of 10 on, I made at least one every year!

My favorite was a church that I made, I made hard candy and poured it into the window holes after baking, then using wilton paste colors, painted on them to make them look like stained glass!

In my junior senior year of high school I was pretty good at making them and my vocational school class would make them for a display in a store window on main street.

Thanks for letting me ramble, LOL

Hi all! This is one of the houses I made about 15 years ago for my Granddaughter pictured here (now 18!) I made it with a Wilton pattern that I bought years ago. I looked online and it looks like you can download it for free. In place of some of the candy I made some small sugar cookies. You can see a moon shaped one in the photo.

Jeanny

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 286
I've only made the graham crackers houses and if I had four kids making four houses, it would be the little graham cracker houses for the project. I can't remember where my instructions are but I'm sure Google would find them.

I've hever made a house, though I'm interested. I've made a gingerbread christmas tree. All I'll say is never again, almost 20 star sizes, ranging from a dinner plate size, to a regular biscuit size. Tok close to 3hrs to bake not including the mixing & chilling or icing time. However it did look very impressive

I've hever made a house, though I'm interested. I've made a gingerbread christmas tree. All I'll say is never again, almost 20 star sizes, ranging from a dinner plate size, to a regular biscuit size. Tok close to 3hrs to bake not including the mixing & chilling or icing time. However it did look very impressive

Any pictures? :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom