Food Processor - I need good opinions/advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ErikaO

Assistant Cook
Hello!
I need a better food processor. I have a 20 year old Cuisinart Little Pro Plus - need a big upgrade.

Here is why I need a new one:
1) My husband and I make all types of soups, chili, etc… I'm forever chopping away. I like to make larger batches so I can freeze a bunch. The frequency of which we are chopping made me pull out the Little Pro.
2) My husband has a nerve disorder that affects his hands. He likes to cook too and I'm worried about him cutting himself since his dexterity isn't the same as it used to be.
3) The Little Pro is too small for the quantities we are chopping.
4) The Little Pro doesn't chop evenly enough and although I've become a little better at pulsing, it chops either too much or too little. I think it's because the blade is on the bottom, but maybe it's because it's so small the food can't move around?

Features I want:
1) Good chopping for onion, carrot, celery, red peppers, etc… I wonder if having the chopping blade at the bottom of the Little Pro and on other Food Processors make it difficult to have an even consistency. I don't want the onions to turn into mush.
2) Slicing capability with the ability to adjust thickness.
3) Shredding. I think they all do that though with an attachment?
4) Are there features I might like that I'm not aware of?

What I'm looking at:
1) The Cuisinart Pro Line Dicing! At $600 I'm wondering if it's overkill for my needs. It seems to cut from the top, then the food drops below. I'm guessing that prevents over processing? But maybe that doesn't allow for fine tuning?
2) The Breville Sous Chef - but that has the blade on the bottom. It's 16 cup.
3) The Magimix Robot-Coupe - 16 cup. That must also have the blade on the bottom.
4) Any of the other Cuisinarts I would look at too.

Ok, so here is what I'm concerned about
1) I tend to always want to go for the best - which isn't a bad thing, except I have to pay for it. I'll be clear and say I do it, but money is always a consideration since it isn't growing out of my ears, I just don't like to buy junk. But is it necessary to get the top of the line for this?
2) I have a Vitamix blender, so I'm really not looking for that kind of pureeing, definitely more chopping and slicing.
3) So I make big batches of soup - perhaps in an 8 quart pot. Do I really need a 16 cup food processor or should I be getting something smaller? Would a 9 to a 14 cup be good instead?

I really didn't mean to make this a novel… So if you have read it to this point… THANK YOU! I would so appreciate any feedback and thoughts you have. I don't have endless counter space, but I think this is a necessity for us. I'll get the top on if need be, but would also be happy with a smaller one if that makes more sense.

THANKS!
Erika

Welcome to DC.

The majority of home kitchens in the USA have Kitchen Aid or Cuisinart food processors. They are both very good products that perform well. After all, your's is 20 YO.

I think 16 cups is overkill. Nine to 14 cups makes sense for the home cook. Compare features and pick the color you like.

My husband gave me a new Cuisinart food processor for Christmas last year. It's a 14-cup model and I've had nearly a year to put it through its paces. I have only good things to say about this new machine.

It replaced my older (purchased in the late '70s) Cuisinart, which still worked like a charm. Except the workbowl was too small and the chopping blades were pretty dull.

Cuisinart makes a fine product and I think you would be very pleased with any of the food processors made by them.

I agree with Andy, too. I think a 16-cup machine would be overkill. Good luck with your quest and let us know what you get.

I have a Cuisinart...about 9 CUPS. we are a family of three. I find that it is perfect for our needs though for really big batches I have to fill it several times. I think most food processors can chop inconsistantly but I believe that is mostly due to over filling or not properly using the pulse function. I doubt that any machine will be as accurate at chopping as a human being can be with a knife. But frankly I prefer using the machine. Mine is a lower priced Cuisinart and it has had very heavy use. I can use it a dozen times a day and often use it to grind venison for burger. After many years of very heavy use the plastic bowl has developed small hair line cracks near the bottom. This is not the fault of the machine. I have mire than gotten my money's worth out of this product. I also have little counter space but I would get rid of the toasted before I gave up the space allocated to my food processor. I think you are on the right track purchasing a high quality appliance although I would be surprised if you need a $600.00 unit. Just don't bother with a cheap unit. It will be money thrown away. I hope someone else can address the matter of weather or not the very expensive unit is worth the extra expense.

I agree with Andy. Mine is 14 cups and it's way plenty big enough for two of us.
There's the problem of moving a big pro model that I would not want to deal with.

Whoa! $600??? No way!

Kitchenaide makes a solid FP, and certainly Cuisinart makes something less than $600!!

Last edited:
I have an 11 cup cuisinart and I'm very impressed by how powerful and quiet it is, that is from the induction motor that the cheaper ones don't have.

I use both an 11 cup and a 14 cup Cuisinart, and have all the additional disks for each, plus the constant feed chute for the 11 cup. Both are excellent. I like the 11 cup at home, and keep the 14 cup at the church where I host and cook for the homeless shelter program. Both are older machines, but have a lot of life left in them.

I have this Cuisinart and especially like the multiple workbowls, even though I use the largest one most often. As you can see, the price for this machine won't break the bank.

I have the same model as Katie and I like mine for the same reasons.
How well do you like it for kneading bread dough? I might order one of these today.

I have an older 11 cup and 14 cup both Cuisinart. Love them both. I did not buy the new model for $$$$, I am happy with an old version for $180 or less from Bed, bath and Beyond. It doesn't chop onion but everything else is awesome. I did buy couple of extra slicing blades for different thickness.

Last edited:
I have an older 11 cup and 14 cup both Cuisinart. Love them both. I did not buy the new model for $$$$, I am happy with an old version for $180 or less from Bed, bath and Beyond. It doesn't chop onion but everything else is awesome. I did buy couple of extra slicing blades for different thickness. Plus I have meat grinder attachment and couple different pasta attachments.
I had no idea one could get a meat grinder attachment for a food processor. Is there a sausage horn for the meat grinder?

Oh darn, what am I talking about. I'm loosing my mind and in need, very bad need of vacation. I apologies, I mixed up food processor and the Stand up Mixer.

Now I can hardly wait 'til it arrives. :D

I'm such a pushover for new toys, you'll have to post pics!

(And no, I had to tell myself I DO NOT need another FP!) I will have to live vicariously through yours!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom