Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Beef (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f48/)
-   -   Lips-only from rib-eye steaks? (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f48/lips-only-from-rib-eye-steaks-87903.html)

cave76 11-18-2013 02:13 PM

Lips-only from rib-eye steaks?

Has anyone heard of being able to buy lips-only (from rib-eye steaks?)
Even frozen and on-line?

GotGarlic 11-18-2013 02:24 PM

What does that even mean?

luckytrim 11-18-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cave76 (Post 1320169)
Has anyone heard of being able to buy lips-only (from rib-eye steaks?)
Even frozen and on-line?

......Never have seen the lip for sale alone..............

luckytrim 11-18-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GotGarlic (Post 1320170)
What does that even mean?

Lip-On Ribeye Beef Roast and Steak: What is it, and cooking tips

GotGarlic 11-18-2013 03:59 PM

Interesting, thanks. Rib-eye isn't my favorite cut. Too fatty. I like porterhouse. But I can see the argument for leaving the fat on.

cave76 11-18-2013 04:18 PM

From the link that luckytrim posted:
"They also say that they find the lip quite flavourful."

And I personally find it to be even more flavorful than any other cut of beef. Too bad it isn't sold separately. I'd pay as much for that as for a filet of beef.

(And yes, it's fatty, which is why it's more flavorful. LOL)

GotGarlic 11-18-2013 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cave76 (Post 1320196)
From the link that luckytrim posted:
"They also say that they find the lip quite flavourful."

And I personally find it to be even more flavorful than any other cut of beef. Too bad it isn't sold separately. I'd pay as much for that as for a filet of beef.

(And yes, it's fatty, which is why it's more flavorful. LOL)

I should have said gristly. I like nicely caramelized fat with the meat but when a third of the cut is too tough to eat, that's no fun for me. I know some people like to chew on the sinew, but I'm not one of them.

Rocklobster 11-18-2013 05:41 PM

From my experience, as a cook and meat counter manager, the lip section is usually more fat than meat. It also is very inconsistent from one animal to another. Because of this, it is a hard sell around here to leave that piece on, especially when the rib eye has no bone. You can get away with it if there is bone there, but as a rib eye, it seems like there is much more fat to meat ratio. Sometimes I try to trim as much fat from it try to save the meat and form it around the steak to make it look good. I hate having so much scrap, even if it does end up in the ground beef. Plus, it is not a true rib "eye" when there is a "lip" there. lol. Personally I like that piece well charred and salted, but every time I gobble one down, I am thinking 'there goes a year off of my life".

cave76 11-19-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocklobster (Post 1320216)
Plus, it is not a true rib "eye" when there is a "lip" there. lol.

Ah! A 'true' rib eye can't have a 'lip'. It makes sense when put that way.

However every "rib eye steak" I've bought has the lip attached. I always rummage around in the bin to find the largest lip. I guess the butchers at all the meat markets I've bought rib eyes at didn't understand the 'true' meaning of a rib eye steak.

GG said that he felt the 'lip' was tough. Hmmmm. I've always found the lip to be the most tender part of the steak.

I shop at Safeway, a Market of Choice and a privately owned meat market.

GotGarlic 11-19-2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cave76 (Post 1320375)
GG said that he felt the 'lip' was tough. Hmmmm. I've always found the lip to be the most tender part of the steak.

I'm a she http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15/15_4_123.gif :smile:

I said I wasn't crazy about rib-eye steak in general because I find that it usually has too much tough gristle and there's always a lot of waste when I eat it. So I choose a porterhouse or strip steak instead. I don't know that I've ever had the lip.