Frivolous Friday!! Dinner 11/22/13

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harry Cobean

Executive Chef
soooo,fellow gastronauts,addie,tax & i were having a chin wag the other morning & extolling the virtues & delights of smoked herrings,haddock,mackerel & all things fishy.somewhere in all of that,my smoked mackerel dauphinoise entered said conversation:
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f16/harrys-smoked-mackerel-dauphinoise-81041.html
i thunk "not made that for a while" then i thunk"think outside the box mate,try something different" so i decided to make a "deconstructed" smoked mackerel dauphinoise,using gnocchi instead.only real difference in the ingredients is that i left out the gruyere cheese that i usually make a dauphinoise with & "cut" the sauce with a chug of dry pinot grigio.worked rather well,too!!
harry's deconstructed smoked mackerel dauphinoise made with fresh gnocchi & broccoli.ice cold "gwynt y ddraig" award winning welsh cider colder than a rhondda valley winters day.brrrrrrrrr!

Attachments

• GNOCCHI & SMOKED MACKEREL 001.JPG
    GNOCCHI & SMOKED MACKEREL 001.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 162
  • GNOCCHI & SMOKED MACKEREL 002.JPG
    GNOCCHI & SMOKED MACKEREL 002.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 169
  • GNOCCHI & SMOKED MACKEREL 003.jpg
    GNOCCHI & SMOKED MACKEREL 003.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 237
  • GNOCCHI & SMOKED MACKEREL 004.JPG
    GNOCCHI & SMOKED MACKEREL 004.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 191
  • GNOCCHI & SMOKED MACKEREL 006.JPG
    GNOCCHI & SMOKED MACKEREL 006.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 163
  • GNOCCHI & SMOKED MACKEREL 007.JPG
    GNOCCHI & SMOKED MACKEREL 007.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 181
  • GNOCCHI & SMOKED MACKEREL 008.JPG
    GNOCCHI & SMOKED MACKEREL 008.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 179
  • GNOCCHI & SMOKED MACKEREL 009.JPG
    GNOCCHI & SMOKED MACKEREL 009.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 186
  • GNOCCHI & SMOKED MACKEREL 011.JPG
    GNOCCHI & SMOKED MACKEREL 011.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 169
  • GNOCCHI & SMOKED MACKEREL 014.JPG
    GNOCCHI & SMOKED MACKEREL 014.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 172
  • GNOCCHI & SMOKED MACKEREL 005.jpg
    GNOCCHI & SMOKED MACKEREL 005.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
Typical laundry and cleaning Friday, as usual, but that was all done by noon.

Dinner will be a bit of a mixed bag tonight. I have three quite large turkey necks I roasted to begin making stock for holiday gravy. That's all done but the turkey necks need to be eaten. They're all nice and brown and seasoned perfectly so we'll have those, some fried green tomatoes, black-eyed peas, iced tea and a generous slice of the coconut cream pie I made this morning. No doubt we'll be full.

Nice job, Harry. Too bad you're so far away from me.

Harry, I don't like fish but you made that look really good!:yum:

At went to the store at lunch and got the fixins' for taco soup.

Are you sure you don't like fish? Maybe you just don't like freshwater fish or maybe just saltwater fish. I really don't care for freshwater fish, but I really like nice, fresh (or frozen) ocean fish. And smoking makes it almost something else.

Are you sure you don't like fish? Maybe you just don't like freshwater fish or maybe just saltwater fish. I really don't care for freshwater fish, but I really like nice, fresh (or frozen) ocean fish. And smoking makes it almost something else.

I can eat a little fried and only with hush puppies, lol. I have broiled salmon for my family and couldn't make myself eat it... They love it. I think it mostly the texture i don't like.... It's just a little odd. But I don't eat lobster, crab, shrimp, or anything like that either.

I can eat a little fried and only with hush puppies, lol. I have broiled salmon for my family and couldn't make myself eat it... They love it. I think it mostly the texture i don't like.... It's just a little odd. But I don't eat lobster, crab, shrimp, or anything like that either.
I can't stand cooked salmon, but I love it smoked or gravad. Same goes for trout. Stirling didn't like salmon. He grew up in British Columbia and had been on lots of picnics where someone would fish and grill a salmon. He said it was like eating wet Kleenex. I introduced him to cold smoked salmon. :yum:

For us it's breaded cube steak swimming in mushroom and onion gravy with mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli. Dh is in need of comfort food today.

Steak, potatoes, garlic bread, green beans or spinach or both. Maybe a little salad.

39817-albums371-picture5743.jpg
Wop Chop (pork chop) sandwhich w/ swiss, mustard on a bagle. Famous Daves spicy pickles & a Bud.

Last edited:
Pot roast got a little overdone so I ended up shredding it in the gravy and serving it on top of the quinoa. It was mighty tasty. I'm finishing off my merlot and going to get one of the last pieces of spice cake and fudge icing.

Not enough spinach to really do anything with on its own, so I through it in with my steak sauce.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 197
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 252
Hot turkey sandwiches. Safeway had their pre-cooked turkey pot-roast out today, my wife has yet to pass that up. Lunch was simple cheese, humus and crackers.

Dx cooked up some turkey parts today for stock/ gravy mix next week. She sent me packing w/ a container of cut up turkey. I made a cold turkey wrap w/ cranberries, blue cheese/ onion dressing. I wasn't quite prepared with what to do with it, and didn't want to spoil my appetite for the traditional day-after turkey sandwich just yet. This was good. I might make this again.

That looks really good.

So, I see that "gwynt y ddraig" is the correct spelling. You didn't have your fingers on the wrong keys. ;)
ha!nope,tax,right keys mate.complex language welsh.i still have a "smattering" from my grammar school days in north wales.it was a compulsory second language to learn,for the first 3 years.the school had a legendary rugby history,stretching back over a 100 years,so it was a fair trade off!!
pronounced "gwint uh thraig" it roughly translates as "the wind dragon".the dragon being the symbol of wales,appearing on the national flag.
thanks nikki.give it a go mate,you'll love it.i promise;)!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom