Bland Chicken Stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hishighness

Assistant Cook
Greetings all, I made my first ever chicken stock a couple of weeks back. But I've found when I use it it comes out pretty bland. I had the chicken carcass, carrots, onions and celery plus some Mrs. Dash and Oregano but still bland. I've got diabetes and hypertension so I'm trying to avoid salt as much as possible so I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips for deblandifying without adding salt?

Thanks! :)

Welcome to DC!

Roasting the bones will add flavor. And I just can't make chicken stock without lots of thyme and black pepper. I don't use oregano. Haven't tried stock with Mrs. Dash. I don't use much salt either, I sub potassium chloride.

Rotisserie carcasses make really nice stock, you can even do them in the crock pot.

Last edited:
Welcome to DC.

When you make your own stock two things have a significant impact on the final product, concentration and seasoning.

If you cover the bones with water and simmer for a few hours, you still have to defat the stock then reduce it to concentrate the flavors. The other factor is salt. As much as you don't want to, some salt will dramatically improve your result. Do a little test with an ounce or two of stock and season it with a little salt and taste.

Garlic, garlic, and garlic! Add lots! Also, saute the garlic and onions first, then add to the liquid. Sauteing in oil (preferably extra virgin olive oil), will intensify the flavors, as opposed to just boiling in liquid. In addition, you could also add some garlic powder and onion powder (I use toasted granulated onion), for more of a salty taste. I find that these dried spices have their own innate "salt" taste.

Also, if you crush the garlic first, then chop, it will have a stronger flavor, then if you just chop it.

I use all these steps in my own cooking, since I like to keep the salt way down, plus I often use Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herbs.
http://www.mrsdash.com/products/seasoning-blends/garlic-herb-seasoning-blend

Last edited:
I add mire poix, garlic and peppercorns to the stock pot. This enhances the stock without committing the stock to a specific flavor profile.

Dawgluver,
It's delicious! It adds tons of flavor, and rounds out the other ingredients. But, then... I use garlic in practically everything, except dessert. :)

I don't understand what you mean by bland.

I want my chicken stock to taste like chicken.

Roasting the bones helps as does cracking them open. Reduction will help
concentrate the flavor too.

I add whatever leftover veggies/spices I have on hand but the chicken flavor is what I'm after for the stock.

The spices are added for the dish I use it in.

Salt/Sodium might be what you're seeking. Add that to the end product as you see fit.

I have been browning my bones/vegetables in the pot before adding water. Fry them for a while and keep stirring them, letting the brown layer (fond) build up. Control the heat so it stays brown and doesn't burn. Then I add my water and keep stirring to scrape the brown layer off of the bottom. Let the water reduce by half, at least. A bit of good stock is better than a lot of bad stock.

Roasting parts/bones and veg is the secret to starting a great stock.:yum:

Just made some stock myself, but the wife put it into the freezer today. She said it was like gelatin after she skimmed off the fat. What's with that?

Just made some stock myself, but the wife put it into the freezer today. She said it was like gelatin after she skimmed off the fat. What's with that?

That is what you want to achieve. The stock making process extracts the collagen from the bones and thickens the stock so it's gelatinized at colder temps. If you heat it up, it will return to a liquid state.

That is what you want to achieve. The stock making process extracts the collagen from the bones and thickens the stock so it's gelatinized at colder temps. If you heat it up, it will return to a liquid state.
What Andy said.

Back
Top Bottom