Baking a ham and THEN bringing it to a Thanksgiving table

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phillyman

Assistant Cook
Hi all,

Thanks for helping me with this query, this is my first post but since I'm starting to enjoy cooking, I'm sure it will not be my last.

As I do not like Turkey (bad school cafeteria flashbacks) I've been put in charge of the ham. Here a bit of the back story. I will spending Thanksgiving with my girlfriends family and am already nervous enough. I have a recipe I like where I pop the ham in the oven and let it bake for about 30 minutes a pound. It has a nice orange marmalade glazing/crust.

For tomorrow I have a little more than three pounds but do NOT know when the food will be served and how available the oven will be. They are very laid back and even if they say food is served at six it usually is seven. Those are also "regular" meals and not holidays!

My plan was to "pre bake" the ham at home for maybe an hour, take it over to their house (about 20 minute drive) and then probably pop it in 20 - 30 minutes before dinner is served.

Is this a valid option or am I better off baking the whole thing at my place and then "reheating" it in the oven?

Any other strategies? I know a lot of families do a pot luck type party where everyone brings something but have never really considered the issue of when/how to cook the food and have it warm on the plate a couple hours later.

Until now I tried to be responsible for the dessert or salad... In terms of timing one is pretty set :) !

Thanks for any and all advice,

Philly

First, welcome to DC.

Now to your question. Either solution you suggest would be feasible but let me offer another.

Go ahead and fully cook your ham, then put it into a crock-pot on low or keep warm setting. Take it to your host's home in the crock-pot and plug it in there and don't worry about it no matter when dinner is served.

The only real wild card you have with cooking it at its destination is that you don't know what your hostess has planned for the use of her oven for the meal. Using the crock-pot will eliminate a challenge for either of you.

Last edited:
I would fully cook it, foil wrap and stick it in a cooler of appropriate size. It should still be hot after a 20 min drive. Bring extra glaze and baste it right before serving. I have wrapped many a pork butt right out of the smoker, put them in a cooler and still have them burn the fingers 2-3 hours later when being pulled.

Welcome to DC!

I agree with Katie. Craig's idea is good as well. Love my CPs, and am bringing several with edible stuff to my cooking-challenged cousin's house.

Last edited:
Wow!

WOW,

Thank you for quick and friendly replies... Sadly my long post just got deleted while uploading :-( GRRRR
Ah well,

I like the crockpot idea only issue is I don't have one (yet). I will try out the cooler idea. I hope we should be able to eat dinner about an hour and half after I leave my place. Otherwise I'll be sooooo hungry I'll just start nibbling on my ham :)

I usually bake my ham at 325 for about 90 minutes (for 3lbs). But while I have the friendly experts attention. Any tips/ideas? The glaze as I might have mentioned will be orange marmalade/mustard.

Again thank you for making me welcome, everyone a enjoyable, safe (we have bad weather and lots of accidents) and "filling" Thanksgiving.

I can add one piece advice. Go for a brisk walk/run in the morning and you will feel a bit less guilty while overindulging. Also I really like to take a walk/stroll after the main course. This allows my brain to register how full I really am and I can enjoy dessert a bit more. Nothing like fresh air to clear your head, wake you up and ready for the final push :) Added benefit all the "lazy" coach potatoes have to do the dishes..

Again thanks and look forward to more discussions,
Philly

I think your glaze sounds nice, and since it's tried and true (TNT), I'd do it as you already have.

The microwave can also be your friend at GF's parents' house. And since ham is already cooked, no worries about food safety. Nor is there anything wrong with cold ham.

Have a nice Thanksgiving! And you might want to check out slow cookers, maybe ask Santa for one!

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. Girlfriend and having a cooking device? :)
Her idea of cooking is using the telephone....
No that is unfair but I don't think she has one... Just checked and her answer was what is that... I guess that answers that question ;-)

Yes, I think Santa might be my best bet. I did ask GF's mom and was told that there was space for my ham (although very lukewarm to the idea).

For diplomatic reasons I guess I'll try some of the turkey but will stick with my done ham otherwise :)

Regards,
philly

For the Cooler idea, Fold one or a couple clean bath towels on the bottom, extra insulation, and set the wrapped ham on top. Keep the top on and "resist" the urge to check it for warmth, it will stay warm and within safety temp range for 2 or more hours. Ham is also good at room temp. Nice Glaze - I use orange marmalade a lot with different flavor combos. Always good.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom