Laboratory magnetic stirrer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pengyou

Senior Cook
Digital laboratory plate heater magnetic stirrer - 30 - 1 400 rpm | MR Hei-End - Heidolph Instruments GmbH & Co. KG

...as shown in the photo on this page. Ever since I started to cook I have often thought that this would be the epitome of elegance in cooking. The place provides heat, up to 300 degrees C. Within the hot plate, there is a magnetic arm that turns at a prescribed speed to mix whatever is in the pot on top of this. All you have to do is drop a magnetic beater into the pot and the magnetic arm inside the hot plate will cause this beater to mix. I especially think this would be good for making sauces that need to both be melted and stirred, like cheese sauces, or melting chocolate.

Mine does not look like either of those. Mine is about 5'8", too many pounds, thinning brown/gray hair and I have to feed it :LOL:

Mine does not look like either of those. Mine is about 5'8", too many pounds, thinning brown/gray hair and I have to feed it :LOL:

Mrs D has pretty much the same model. Except for the dimension, the rest fits to a tee...
smiley-laughing021.gif

I don't think it would to do a very good job. They are designed to work with very thin liquids and the stir bars are small. I think parts of the sauce would scorch. Have a look at the itty, bitty white stir bars in these pix:

lab-scientific-square-flat-heating-magnetic-stirrer-heater-eletraco-1107-21-eletraco@2.jpg

They make larger stir bars, but you are correct they are for thinner solutions, not thick sauces and gravies.

Pengyou, Yeah the thought crossed my mind also. Being a chemist, it looks good at first thought. Other posters are correct, they are designed for non-viscous materials. BUT - if you want to stir up your Kool-aide real fancy it would work great!

Pengyou, Yeah the thought crossed my mind also. Being a chemist, it looks good at first thought. Other posters are correct, they are designed for non-viscous materials. BUT - if you want to stir up your Kool-aide real fancy it would work great!

Dad always used one to stir his coffee when he was in the lab. He had a stirrer just for his coffee.:LOL:

I have had one since it came on the market and I love it. It is designed for tall and low pans. And the arms extend quite away out to the sides for a large pan like a Dutch Oven. The bottom blades scrape not only the bottom but the sides also. It gets into the edge of the pan. Easy to use, easy to clean. :angel:
Judging by the reviews it sounds as though you were lucky (and the firm is now out of business).

I have several like this
ASDA Wooden Spatula | Kitchen Utensils & Gadgets | ASDA direct
Cheap cheerful and effective. stirs the sauce etc., and prevents sticking and burning to the bottom and sides of the saucepan. "Does what it says on the tin" and cheap enough to throw away when worn out or damaged.

Sauces that have to be constantly stirred have to be constantly watched so a go-away-and-leave-it gadget seems a bit pointless.

Nothing gadget-y that has a simple, effective alternative gets into my kitchen. (Sorry, that sounded very po-faced!)

Judging by the reviews it sounds as though you were lucky (and the firm is now out of business).

I have several like this
ASDA Wooden Spatula | Kitchen Utensils & Gadgets | ASDA direct
Cheap cheerful and effective. stirs the sauce etc., and prevents sticking and burning to the bottom and sides of the saucepan. "Does what it says on the tin" and cheap enough to throw away when worn out or damaged.

Sauces that have to be constantly stirred have to be constantly watched so a go-away-and-leave-it gadget seems a bit pointless.

Nothing gadget-y that has a simple, effective alternative gets into my kitchen. (Sorry, that sounded very po-faced!)

That link didn't work. Here it is: ASDA Wooden Spoon | Kitchen Utensils & Gadgets | ASDA direct

I prefer something with a flat end, like this:

wooden-spatula-wooden_~u15493956.jpg

I imagine one of those automagic stirrers could be handy, if you are doing a lot of different things in the kitchen at once. Still not my cup of tea. ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom