I Haven't Forgotten You All!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CatPat

Washing Up
I can't believe how quickly the time has passed! Since Mamma and Papa's arrival, I've been so busy!

Thanksgiving dinner was perfect. I decided to put everyone to working on it. Papa brined and smoked a turkey breast, I stuck a spiral-cut Honeybaked ham in the oven and glazed it, Lakisha made her beans, Mamma made real mashed potatoes and gravy, we made the steamed broccoli and cauliflower with cheese and turkey sausage stuffing and DA and Lakisha's Mamma directed traffic and fussed at us.

I am so very glad I have a stove with five burners! Mamma said I was very smart to buy it. I love my stove!

Gwen and DAB (Dear Aunty's Boyfriend) arrived in time for dinner, and so there were eight of us. I can seat up to 12 people at the table in my lair, so we weren't in each other's elbows.

After dinner we had cherry pie, pumpkin bread, coffee and a very nice port wine. Oh we ate so much!

But what I thought the most, when we were all laughing and chatting over dinner was this: All these people, so different, yet so kind and jovial. I'll try to explain.

Mamma looks and dresses like a 1960s hippy. DA is prim and formal in her lavender pants suit. LM (Lakisha's Mamma) wears big bright dresses. Gwen is part Cherokee Indian and looks like she just stepped out of a teepee with her beautiful black hair and lovely turquoise jewelry. Papa is quiet and thoughtful and is just comfortable, I think, in his jeans and flannel shirt. DAB always wears a bow tie, and he's also formal. Lakisha wore jeans and a red sweater. She and her Mamma are African-Americans and they love to laugh and they're very loud, which is fun! Then there's me.

And when I thought about me, Mamma was right. I've grown up a lot since my arrival to this country. Of course, I still have a long way to go. I was weaing a paisly skirt with a white turtleneck shirt, and I sat there looking at all these wonderful people thinking of all this. I am so very happy still, as I remember this.

The accents were funny also! DAB is from New Jersey, Lakisha and LM are very southern, Gwen has no accent, DA and Mamma speak English with a trace of the Romanian accent, Papa's English is horrible except for the curse words, and I have a bad Romanian accent too.

After dinner, the puzzle mat came out, and we all worked on it, still talking about everything. DA, Mamma, LM, Lakisha and I had a bit too much wine and DA started telling bad jokes. Papa fled to my computer to look up funny things, and I put Marc Gunn's CDs, "Irish Drinking Songs For Cat Lovers," and "Whiskers In The Jar" into my music system. Those songs are very funny!

Lakisha stayed the night with me, for Mamma, Lakisha and I were going shopping on Black Friday just to see what this was all about. Lakisha's uncle has moved in with them and so he helps take care of LM. DAB, Gwen, and LM left, and Papa went upstairs to watch TV. DA went to her bed shortly after. Mamma, Lakisha and I rolled up the puzzle and played Monopoly with the help of more wine and we all finally went to bed after I became bankrupt. I learned this: Do not make important financial decisions while drinking wine.

Black Friday was insane! I was cursing the traffic in three languages, Mamma was bug-eyed at all the mess, and Lakisha was learning new ways to express herself from me. We made it to Walmart and the Asheville Mall and we bought some things, but we decided we'd finish the shopping maybe next week or just go online and buy gifts. Lakisha has very little money so for her Christmas present, Mamma put $300 on an American Express Bluebird card for Lakisha, and I matched Mamma with another $300. Lakisha cried. We felt so sorry for her. But now she and her Mamma will have a very nice Christmas!

Mamma and Papa like Lakisha so very much! In such a short time, she is my sister that I never had until now. We are so very close now. I call her Mamma "Mom" and she calls my parents "Mom" and "Dad." She calls her Mamma just "Mamma," as I do.

So, you see of how busy I am! And LM has allowed Lakisha to stay with us until Sunday afternoon! Mamma calls us "her girls," now. I had to take Lakisha back home to get herself more clothes last night and the traffic wasn't very bad.

It's very quiet here today. Mamma, Lakisha and I are in my lair. Lakisha is playing with my cats and Mamma is writing post cards for family and friends at the dining table. Papa and DA are in the study/library on the first floor discussing things of books. And I am here, thinking of you all, and being so thankful for everything.

With love,
~Cat

Of course you haven't forgotten us, Cat. Just read your post and see just what you are supposed to be doing.

What a wonderful description of your holiday and, just think, you haven't even had Christmas yet!

Don't worry about DC. We all know you are enjoying your family's visit. Just peek in now and then and tell us all about it when you've rested after they leave.

Now...go have fun. That's an order!!:LOL::rolleyes:

No problem, Cat! Enjoy your family while they're here, we'll muddle along. Sounds like you're having a blast!

And I haven't forgotten all of you either. Cat is right, though; the time has flown by!

I do hope all of you are fit and happy this holiday season. We are all well, and we've had so much fun with Cat and everyone.

We put a child on the plane from Bucharest. We arrived to see a young lady who is now confident and resilient. The difference is astounding. Whereas her cousins failed to become responsible, Cat has done the opposite. I believe many of you are, in part, responsible for this, and I do thank you.

It's such a joy to see my girl in her own world here. She has good friends, and we'll be meeting Carl and Tyler next week as they are back from their Thanksgiving vacation. Lakisha is absolutely adorable! I'm so glad to see these girls such close friends. I told her mother how I felt, and her mother said she felt the same.

The Black Friday venture was a little bit worse than Cat explained. Inside the store and the Mall, this was unbelievable! I'll not try this again next year when we come to visit!

I hope all of you have a very happy and safe holiday season. I send my best to all of you, and thank you for looking after my girl.

Sincerely,
MammaCat

It was our pleasure, MammaCat.

I have seen Cat "blossom" since she's joined us and it's only been a short while. She has a lot on her life's plate and seems to be handling it wisely and carefully. You have every reason to be proud of her.

As for the Black Friday thing...I've never done it and I never will. Combat should be left to the military. What a mess! I can't imagine it.

Have a wonderful rest of your stay and I know you'll treasure every moment as they vaporize before your eyes.

Mama Cat and Cat. Sounds like not only a full house, but a full heart for everyone. And not to forget full tummies for everyone.

Cat has been so worried and she wanted everything to be perfect. Sounds like she accomplished her goal. Cat is turning into a lovely young lady that any mother would be proud to have.

I have never done Black Friday and I never will. I would rather pay extra for an item than attempt to do that. Fortunately, because of our Blue Laws, our stores are closed on most holidays. So our Black Friday is worse than most states. So now you can say you have participated in one of America's crazy customs. :angel:

Last edited:
Thank you both! She has certainly blossomed to say the least. She did want everything to be perfect, and that is why she let all of us cook with her.

She has learned to delegate tasks, so as not to put too much upon herself. I thought this was quite smart. I wish I had done this years ago. I've found myself taking a page from her book, and I'll be doing that as well.

It's very odd, yet rewarding in its own way, to learn from your children. Perhaps sometimes we think we know better then, inexplicably, they show us another way and it's simple. My mother has always said, "Live and learn. Some people just live."

She was right. Cat will return in a few minutes. She took Lakisha home.

Sincerely,
MammaCat

I can't argue with Mamma but I can make this very short.

I had help from you here in DC, I had help from DA and Gwen, and I had to sink or to swim.

I chose to swim and that is all. Now I must think of dinner tomorrow! Breakfast and lunch are already taken care of. Dinner will come later!

Good night with love especially to my Mamma,
~Cat

Last edited:
I'm so happy for your wonderful Thanksgiving Day Cat, for you appreciate so very much all you have to be thankful for.

Black Friday is a horror show. The only time I ever set foot into a mall on the day after Thanksgiving it was because I was paid to be there. I got to hide behind a counter and wrap presents for all those crazy people who risked body and sanity to shop the crowds. Employee entrance in and out with Himself as my chauffeur, and empty back halls to get from one place to another. Now I just roll over and go back to sleep!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom