Nobody makes it like...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sprout

Sous Chef
We had my dad's (Chief Longwind's) barbecued turkey for Thanksgiving. We just finished the leftovers tonight. I've gotta say, for me, nobody does turkey like my dad. He uses a Weber kettle grill and cooks the bird indirectly over two side beds of charcoal and wood (tag alder this year) with a drip pan directly under the bird. The juicy dark meat, the gravy made from the drippings, the skin, oooh the skin... The only thing that may be better than his turkey is the turkey soup he makes from the carcass. Smokey and rich, with vegetables and barley, this soup is eyes-roll-to-the-back-of-your-head good. I've had some pretty tasty turkeys and even made a couple myself, but nothing compares to his.

What's that food for you? I'm talking about that food that nobody makes like your grandma, your mom, your dad or your crazy uncle. Whose signature dish is worth driving seven hours with cranky kids, waiting to eat all day until you get there, or putting up with your least favorite cousin to get a taste of?

Sprout, my son is the turkey maker for the last several years, and he does his exactly like your Dad's. You are so right..there's no better turkey in all the world and at my age, I've had a turkey or two, actually, dozens and dozens!! There's just something about that kettle charcoal/wood turkey that nothing else can match.

This year he opted to purchase a very overpriced Turducken, and did it in the oven. It was very good but I was secretly yearning for his masterpiece from years past.

My mothers chicken gumbo. It is actually a 'cheater' recipe from an old cookbook she has, it definitely isn't like any other I have had. Over the years they have gone to Louisiana a couple times to visit friends and she always has to make it for them. 'Course part of the charm may be the memory of my grandfather who insisted that the bottom of the bowl always tasted best so he would have a half dozen or so bowls no more than a quarter full.

My Dad's Udon Noodle soup, love that stuff and cannot for the life of me replicate it. It's a specific flavor that I have asked him about, but he says he's told me all the ingredients. Must be the pan he cooks it in or he stirs it with his finger or something.

My Dad's Udon Noodle soup, love that stuff and cannot for the life of me replicate it. It's a specific flavor that I have asked him about, but he says he's told me all the ingredients. Must be the pan he cooks it in or he stirs it with his finger or something.
:LOL:

My friend's wontons. She tried to show me one time but my hands don't work well for filling and folding. They are better than any restaurant I have ever been to. She keeps me supplied when I am under the weather and even gave me a huge container for my birthday this year. Best present she could give me. I just keep them in the freezer and throw some into some boiling chicken broth. I sometimes add broccoli and/or green onion just before serving.

:)

Last edited:
It could be as simple as the brand of soy sauce or rice vinegar. Each brand can take on a totally different flavour.

I really need to come back more often. I miss you.

.... Whose signature dish is worth driving seven hours with cranky kids, waiting to eat all day until you get there, or putting up with your least favorite cousin to get a taste of?
Sprout, those lovely progeny of yours still getting crabby? Hmm, must be from their Dad's side. ;)

My Mom made a killer beef stew. I've tried duplicating it, using the same ingredients and spices and...nadda. I think maybe she spat into the pot when no one was looking...:ermm: (PF, maybe THAT is your Dad's secret ingredient in the udon noodle soup?) OTOH, she always told me my pot roast was better than hers. I make pot roast instead of stew and wish Mom was still around to make the stew. *sigh*

Nothing that my mother or father made was anywhere close to being memorable. They were terrible cooks. My grandmother was German and her sauerbraten was the best.

My Mother's brown gravy I've tried and tried and tried---- the old fashioned way. Always lumpy---- so much so that a video of Thanksgiving dinner (long ago) with me pouring 'gravy' out of the gravy boat is the stuff of legends and guffawing.

It didn't help that the gravy boat was a ceramic rooster and the lumps came out the beak. LOL

Don't bother sending me tips on how to make perfect gravy. (grinning fondly)---- since the advent of Wondra I can make decent brown gravy.

My Mother's brown gravy I've tried and tried and tried---- the old fashioned way. Always lumpy---- so much so that a video of Thanksgiving dinner (long ago) with me pouring 'gravy' out of the gravy boat is the stuff of legends and guffawing.

It didn't help that the gravy boat was a ceramic rooster and the lumps came out the beak. LOL

Don't bother sending me tips on how to make perfect gravy. (grinning fondly)---- since the advent of Wondra I can make decent brown gravy.

I have never made a lumpy gravy. Thanks to my mother. Shake some flour, water and Gravy Master in a lidded jar like you are convulsing. Pour slowly into juices while stirring. Nary a lump in more than 50 years of cooking. :angel:

I have never made a lumpy gravy. Thanks to my mother. Shake some flour, water and Gravy Master in a lidded jar like you are convulsing. Pour slowly into juices while stirring. Nary a lump in more than 50 years of cooking. :angel:

I either make a slurry of cornstarch and water, or a brown roux for my gravy. Both methods are absolutely foolproof. Although I have one of my blood who can't seem to get the roux to turn into smooth gravy. Oh, wait, scratch that. She was successful. last time she tried.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I either make a slurry of cornstarch and water, or a brown roux for my gravy. Both methods are absolutely foolproof. Although I have one of my blood who can't seem to get the roux to turn into smooth gravy. Oh, wait, scratch that. She was successful. last time she tried.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Over the years I go back and revisit the cornstarch system. It works fine, but later breaks down and separates. I have never had that problem with the flour. :angel:

If I could have anything from years past, from either parents, or grandparents, it would be my Mom's chili, or anything else she made (except for her tough as leather steaks) as she was an excellent cook, or my Dad's boiled dinner, or pan-fried steaks, oh, wait, his goulash was the best ever:yum:, or my Grandpa's country-fried steak, or his waffles (they were all pretty good cooks. Of course pancakes from any one of them.

You should have seen me and Sprout on Thanksgiving day. It was time to take the bird's temperature. To my dismay, the coals had burned down until there was just a hint of fire left. Sprout came outside, into the snowy cold yard, to help me put in more charcoal and reignite the fire. We blew on the separate piles for a good twenty minutes to turn the tiny bit of hot charcoal into something that would cook a turkey. Sometimes, in our focused effort, we found ourselves blowing on the same side of the grill, each blowing smoke into the others face. We sure did smell like smoke by the time the coals were again hot. I expect that when we were finished, we looked like chimney sweeps from Mary Poppins.:LOL:

It's all good though. And with the other challenges of the day, we still had a great time, a great meal, and a whole lot of fun.

Always remember, challenges are there to help you learn to solve problems. You are smarter after you solve them, and so are a better person because of them. If you refuse to be beaten, and insist on having a great time, no matter what, then you can overcome almost anything, and have that great time, especially when you have a Sprout in the house, and two mini-Sprouts.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Ya know, I can't think of anything. My mom was a good enough cook (except when she cooked liver), but I can't even remember her having a signature dish. I've never been able to make rødgrød as good as hers.

Brown gravy------ tried them all! And ways too numerous to mention.

I'm gravy challenged. :wacko:

Funny thing is, I'm a pretty good cook in all other ways---- was the cook for a 1968 Nobel Prize winner in Physics back in the '70s.

He liked my cooking but I never made gravy for him! :mrgreen:

Brown gravy------ tried them all! And ways too numerous to mention.

I'm gravy challenged. :wacko:

Funny thing is, I'm a pretty good cook in all other ways---- was the cook for a 1968 Nobel Prize winner in Physics back in the '70s.

He liked my cooking but I never made gravy for him! :mrgreen:

Don't feel too bad. You are only challenged. That means you have given up yet. :( Me, I am just plain impaired with pie crust. And I think it beyond repairing. But it is my job this week to try again and again until I get it. :angel:

Don't feel too bad. You are only challenged. That means you have given up yet. :( Me, I am just plain impaired with pie crust. And I think it beyond repairing. But it is my job this week to try again and again until I get it. :angel:

I'll give you my foolproof method tomorrow. I have had people tell me that I saved their get together by teaching them how to make tender and flaky pie crusts. but I have to go to bed right now. I'll do it first thing in the morning.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom