Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Outdoor Cooking Forum (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f35/)
-   -   Thanksgiving in the woods (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f35/thanksgiving-in-the-woods-88111.html)

Paymaster 12-05-2013 07:58 AM

Thanksgiving in the woods

10 Attachment(s)
My wife and I hitched the fifth wheel camper to the truck last week and headed out to Red Top Mountain State Park in N. GA. We were met there by family in 4 more RVs and we stayed the whole week. There were 22 of us that camoed and 20 more family members showed up Thursday for our Thanksgiving meal. We did three turkeys. Two in the two big easy oil-less fryers and one in oil. Here are some pics.

GotGarlic 12-05-2013 08:14 AM

Cool! I love the empty table, then it's full! :lol: Looks like a great time.

PrincessFiona60 12-05-2013 08:54 AM

That sounds like lots of fun! I would enjoy something like that! Thanks for sharing.

Chief Longwind Of The North 12-05-2013 01:14 PM

It's too cold where I live to do what you did. But I have to say, it looks like the perfect Thanksgiving day celebration/get-together. I love eating good food with great friends and family, especially in the woods. Good job.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Paymaster 12-05-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North (Post 1324170)
It's too cold where I live to do what you did. But I have to say, it looks like the perfect Thanksgiving day celebration/get-together. I love eating good food with great friends and family, especially in the woods. Good job.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Was 26 and snowed on Wednesday. Was not like where you are but was cold to us.:smile:

Thanks Y'all. It was a great time.

Addie 12-05-2013 02:52 PM

Those pictures speak in volumes. Looks like a lot of fun. Me too PF. I know I would love doing that. I loved taking our GS camping every summer. Teaching them how to build campfires and cooking over them. :angel:

Chief Longwind Of The North 12-05-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Addie (Post 1324178)
Those pictures speak in volumes. Looks like a lot of fun. Me too PF. I know I would love doing that. I loved taking our GS camping every summer. Teaching them how to build campfires and cooking over them. :angel:

I've always wanted to use the rotating turkey on a string technique, where you tied the ends of the drum stick to a horizontal stick, suspended by a single, heavy string, next to a fire's radiant heat. Give the bird a spin every now and again to make sure it cooks all the say around. Let gravity turn the bird for you.

I also want to try the hot rocks in the cavity method too. So many things to try, such a short life in which to try them all.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Kayelle 12-05-2013 03:53 PM

Now that's some Thanksgiving celebration! I love that fancy pavilion type tent you had for everyone.

We used to to have the same kind of Thanksgiving years ago and they were the best of my lifetime. Here where I live, it's a really popular way to do it at Sycamore Canyon, near the beach.

Cooking Goddess 12-05-2013 04:01 PM

Outstanding! A round of applause to all of you. In fact, your get-up with the party tent and all looks more elegant than our dinner for four at the in-house dining room table. What a great memory for all of you to share - especially for the young-uns. Thanks for sharing with us too.

Dawgluver 12-05-2013 05:34 PM

Looks like a blast!