Thanksgiving in the woods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paymaster

Sous Chef
My wife and I hitched the fifth wheel camper to the truck last week and headed out to Red Top Mountain State Park in N. GA. We were met there by family in 4 more RVs and we stayed the whole week. There were 22 of us that camoed and 20 more family members showed up Thursday for our Thanksgiving meal. We did three turkeys. Two in the two big easy oil-less fryers and one in oil. Here are some pics.

Attachments

• DSCF2946.jpg
    DSCF2946.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 357
  • DSCF2945.jpg
    DSCF2945.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 357
  • DSCF2942.jpg
    DSCF2942.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 356
  • DSCF2986.jpg
    DSCF2986.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 364
  • DSCF2951.jpg
    DSCF2951.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 356
  • DSCF2978.jpg
    DSCF2978.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 357
  • DSCF3021 - Copy.jpg
    DSCF3021 - Copy.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 346
  • DSCF3026.jpg
    DSCF3026.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 361
  • DSCF3023.jpg
    DSCF3023.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 365
  • DSCF3022.jpg
    DSCF3022.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 394
That sounds like lots of fun! I would enjoy something like that! Thanks for sharing.

It's too cold where I live to do what you did. But I have to say, it looks like the perfect Thanksgiving day celebration/get-together. I love eating good food with great friends and family, especially in the woods. Good job.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

It's too cold where I live to do what you did. But I have to say, it looks like the perfect Thanksgiving day celebration/get-together. I love eating good food with great friends and family, especially in the woods. Good job.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Was 26 and snowed on Wednesday. Was not like where you are but was cold to us.:)

Thanks Y'all. It was a great time.

Those pictures speak in volumes. Looks like a lot of fun. Me too PF. I know I would love doing that. I loved taking our GS camping every summer. Teaching them how to build campfires and cooking over them. :angel:

Those pictures speak in volumes. Looks like a lot of fun. Me too PF. I know I would love doing that. I loved taking our GS camping every summer. Teaching them how to build campfires and cooking over them. :angel:

I've always wanted to use the rotating turkey on a string technique, where you tied the ends of the drum stick to a horizontal stick, suspended by a single, heavy string, next to a fire's radiant heat. Give the bird a spin every now and again to make sure it cooks all the say around. Let gravity turn the bird for you.

I also want to try the hot rocks in the cavity method too. So many things to try, such a short life in which to try them all.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Now that's some Thanksgiving celebration! I love that fancy pavilion type tent you had for everyone.

We used to to have the same kind of Thanksgiving years ago and they were the best of my lifetime. Here where I live, it's a really popular way to do it at Sycamore Canyon, near the beach.

Outstanding! A round of applause to all of you. In fact, your get-up with the party tent and all looks more elegant than our dinner for four at the in-house dining room table. What a great memory for all of you to share - especially for the young-uns. Thanks for sharing with us too.

Bravo PM and all your family for putting together such a fine thanksgiving. I bet the cousins and kids will remember this a long time. I also think there was a Lot of planning and organizing to pull off such an event.

Bravo PM and all your family for putting together such a fine thanksgiving. I bet the cousins and kids will remember this a long time. I also think there was a Lot of planning and organizing to pull off such an event.

Thanks, yes lots of planning. Next month we all make Park reservations for next year. Five RVs this year, six or seven next year we hope.:)

Back
Top Bottom