Beef Back Ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocket_J_Dawg

Sous Chef
I have a recipe for braised short ribs from Pioneer Woman that Mrs D just loves. While we were doing the grocery shopping today I couldn't find any short ribs but found some beef back ribs. After googling it seems these ribs are more tender than short ribs.

Can I still braise them and should I reduce the cooking time?

I have a recipe for braised short ribs from Pioneer Woman that Mrs D just loves. While we were doing the grocery shopping today I couldn't find any short ribs but found some beef back ribs. After googling it seems these ribs are more tender than short ribs.

Can I still braise them and should I reduce the cooking time?

I'm not a butcher as will become evident but I think they might be just as 'chewy' and that the cooking time will be about the same.

I think it will all depend on what your market sells for beef back ribs. Plain ol' beef ribs that I've seen are long on bone and short on beef but taste good.

3 Ways to Buy Beef Ribs - wikiHow

This is what I bought. I guess from what I have read they are from the bottom of the prime rib.

img_1324921_0_cc5260976c2fb8f741c212ca33799fb9.jpg

Wow, Rocket. those look so good (drool). Could you show us a picture once they're cooked? I'm sure you'll make them just right. When you do, let us know how you did it? Ok?

*drool*!

This is what I bought. I guess from what I have read they are from the bottom of the prime rib.

img_1325059_0_cc5260976c2fb8f741c212ca33799fb9.jpg

Those look entirely different (meatier and better) than the beef ribs I've seen. I still think they'll take quite a while to cook.

Maybe braising them first if you plan on grilling them or baking in the oven? That's just a guess.

img_1325277_0_cc5260976c2fb8f741c212ca33799fb9.jpg

If they are truly from the bottom of the standing rib roast, then they will be fairly tender. You don't need to braise them. They would be wonderful cooked with direct heat (charcoal, gas, hot cast iron, broil) ot a medium rare. Tney can be braised. That chunk with the large fat section should be trimmed if you are grilling it.

It would taste great braised with salt, pepper, and garlic, or wrapped in foil, with a dry rub, and baked in a slow oven (250 to 300 degrees F) for a few hours.

Another great use for those would be to cut the meat from the bone, cube it, and use it for kabobs, or stir-fries, or even mixed in with a good pasta with butter sauce. The bones could then be simmered to make beef stock.

Your ribs look like they have a lot of possibilities. Enjoy.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I did them in the slow cooker on low and they were way done after four hours. Very tasty but a tad overdone. I think I'll try your suggestion next time Chief. Low and slow in the oven.
img_1325366_0_9a0ce7b7bad52fe6dd1fc589f0a7538e.jpg

If they are truly from the bottom of the standing rib roast, then they will be fairly tender. You don't need to braise them. They would be wonderful cooked with direct heat (charcoal, gas, hot cast iron, broil) ot a medium rare. Tney can be braised. That chunk with the large fat section should be trimmed if you are grilling it.

It would taste great braised with salt, pepper, and garlic, or wrapped in foil, with a dry rub, and baked in a slow oven (250 to 300 degrees F) for a few hours.

Another great use for those would be to cut the meat from the bone, cube it, and use it for kabobs, or stir-fries, or even mixed in with a good pasta with butter sauce. The bones could then be simmered to make beef stock.

Your ribs look like they have a lot of possibilities. Enjoy.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Thank you Chief. We picked up some beef back ribs yesterday and took your advice. Dry rubbed them, wrapped them in foil and slow cooked them n the oven for 3 hours. Brought them out and slathered them in BBQ sauce and grilled them on the BBQ for about 10 minutes. OUTSTANDING

Back
Top Bottom