Fast & Yummy for Cave

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Chicken Chop Suey

1 boneless chicken breast, cut into strips
1 onion, peeled, and cut into thin strips
1 stick celery, Washed & sliced
1 tsp. chicken soup base
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
2 tbs. soy sauce
2 tsp. sugar
1 handfull bean sprouts
1 small can of mushrooms, drained
Corn Starch Slurry (1 tbs. cornstarch mixed with 3 tbs. water)
1 cup cooked rice, or noodles.
1 tbs. cooking oil

Heat oil in pan.
Peel and onion by cutting off the top and bottom, making a shallow slice from top to bottom, and removing the first onion layer. Cut in half, lengthwise, and cut into strips. Slice the celery. Stir-fry the diced chicken until lightly browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.

Add the onion and celery to the hot pan. Stir with wooden spoon until the veggies are partially softened. Add the bean sprouts, garlic, soup base, soy sauce, mushrooms, and sugar to the pan, with 1/2 cup of water. Cover and steam for 5 minutes. Remove the cover and add the cornstarch slurry. Add the meat back into the pan. Stir in the slurry until it thickens into sauce. Serve over the rice, or noodles.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Aw-www-ww! Thank you so much, Chief, for the special recipe. Whatta guy! I'll give that a try.

Beef Tips over Rice

One great way to reduce your time standing in the kitchen is to use a pressure cooker. This can easily reduce cooking times by 70%.

Fissler Vitaquick Quattro-Set : Amazon.com : Home & Kitchen

I really like my Fissler. Easy to use, lifetime warranty, and having two sizes of pressure vessels is really handy.

This recipe can be piping hot and on the table in 1/2 hour.

Beef Tips On Rice

INGREDIENTS
1 lb Sirloin Tip, Chuck, or Round Steak, cut into bite size pieces
2 cups Beef Broth
1 Onion, medium sized, sliced
4 Tablespoons Bacon grease, butter or vegetable oil
4 Tablespoons Flour
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 to 3 cups of prepared Rice

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Cut beef into bite size pieces.
2. Heat oil in pressure pan and add flour to form roux and cook for 1 *2 minutes
3. Add beef and onions
4. Stir the meat and onions until the meat is lightly brown.
5. Add beef broth and stir to combine.
6. Lock cover on pressure pan and increase heat to bring up to pressure, reduce heat to medium *low and cook for 15 minutes or until beef is tender.

NOTES
Serve over rice.

Last edited:
One great way to reduce your time standing in the kitchen is to use a pressure cooker. This can easily reduce cooking times by 70%.

Good tip! I don't have a pressure cooker, though and not likely to buy one at those prices. I know there are less expensive ones but......

Thanks for your suggestion, though.

That sounds really good, .40, thanks. I do need to use my pressure cooker more. My mom gave me hers last summer and I'm just not very familiar with it.

I gotta get my pressure cooker out. It's been residing in the basement for more years than I care to remember. I'm still terrified of it....

Chief, I hope your recipe isn't just for Cave, cuz I plan to use it too!

Last edited:
I gotta get my pressure cooker out. It's been residing in the basement for more years than I care to remember. I'm still terrified of it....

Chief, I hope your recipe isn't just for Cave, cuz I plan to use it too!

I use my PC frequently. It's such a great tool. And Dawg, feel free to use any recipe I ever post, and some that I didn't too.:LOL:

I only ask that you take the recipe and tweek it so that it's perfect for you.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

What uses might a pressure cooker be used for other than for large chunks of meat----- which I rarely make/eat? I've heard that cooking beans in them might clog the valves.

Remember, I'm home all day (retired) so time isn't always important as long as I don't have to stand and tend to something. Maybe I don't need one----- but I just love kitchen stuff.

What uses might a pressure cooker be used for other than for large chunks of meat----- which I rarely make/eat? I've heard that cooking beans in them might clog the valves.

Remember, I'm home all day (retired) so time isn't always important as long as I don't have to stand and tend to something. Maybe I don't need one----- but I just love kitchen stuff.

They are great for beans and lots of other things. Just make sure to rinse out the valve after use and you shouldn't have any problems. My old one lasted 20 years it had a brass tube through the top where the jiggler sat. I always ran a toothpick through that to make sure it wasn't clogged with anything.

Here is some great reference information:
The ULTIMATE Pressure Cooker Cooking Time Chart

Hawkins is supposed to be a good economical alternative. But I've not tried one personally.
Hawkins Stainless Steel 5.0 Litre Pressure Cooker : Amazon.com : Kitchen & Dining

It cooks potatoes and rice, even brown rice in minutes. Beans are no problem as long as you don't overfill the pot. Remember that beans swell. The PC shouldn't be over 2/3rds full. Foaming foods can clog the pressure release tubes. This can cause dangerous pressures.

Sauces that require hours of simmering are done in a half hour. I've made flan, and steamed puddings in my PC. Anything that can be made in a slow cooker, or by braising low and slow can be cooked in a fraction of the time in a PC. I've heard that breads can made in the pressure cooker, but haven't done it myself. Soups, boiled dinner, pilafs, pasta, sauces, veggies, stews, all can be cooked in a pressure cooker.

Large pressurised cookers can be used for canning. These are usually called pressure canner/cookers, and are a required item when canning non-acidic foods, like meat, most veggies, salsa, many fruit preserves, canned peaches, canned apples, etc.

I could go on, but why. I think you get the picture. The pressure cooker is a very versatile tool. But don't try to pressure fry in them. You need special pressure fryers for that task.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I've got the old Prestige Hi-dome PC with three weights to achieve 3 levels of pressure. No problem with beans - just follow the instructions re quantity of beans and water and don't over fill it. (Oh, and soak them first)

I make soup in mine and ratatouille (yes, I know it's not the true method but it's quicker). I don't cook thinks like green veg (cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, peas, green beans, etc.,) because I think it over cooks them even if you obey the instructions to the letter - same with fish. Steamed puddings cook much quicker in the PC. Again, follow the instructions. You can use some types of PC for bottling fruit. Some people use them for stews but I prefer a longer cook for my stews.

I also use it without the lid if I need a big pan for something. Very versatile animal my PC

Last edited:
Mad cook------I got rid of my very old PC after I found I was only using it as an extra pot and not for it's use. Someone in the apt. complex I was living in at the time wanted one----- so hopefully it's still cooking away.

Back
Top Bottom