Slovak Sour Dried Mushroom Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CarolPa

Executive Chef
My Slovak MIL used to make this Sour Mushroom Soup around Christmas. I found a recipe online and would like to try it, as I am trying to learn her Slovak traditions, and carry them on as best I can.

Sour Mushroom Soup Recipe - Recipe for Slovak Sour Mushroom Soup or Machanka

I remember she always had a hard time finding the dried mushrooms. Does anyone make this? I think there might be specialty stores in Pittsburgh that sell the dried mushrooms but I don't want to go into Pgh. I saw a cooking show on TV and the woman just used sliced mushrooms instead of the dried. If I were to try that, what type of mushrooms would I use? I am only familiar with regular white button mushrooms.

Many of the large grocery stores carry assortments of dried mushrooms. And dried porcini's are one of the more common dried mushrooms they carry. So if you are near a large store, I'd ask them first , cause there is a good possibility they have them. I find dried mushrooms have a much more intense flavor. Using fresh mushrooms, although would taste good, would probably be different. If I were to substitute, maybe Id use cremini mushrooms or portabello mushrooms.

Could also order them online.
here is just one site, but Im sure many carry them.

Dried Mushrooms: Buy Dried Mushrooms Online Porcini Morel Oyster Shiitake Wood Ear Whole Sliced Kibble. Recipes. igourmet.com

Also, if there are any whole foods or trader joe stores near you, I guarantee they will have it.

Cremini look like the typical white mushroo, but they are brown.
Portobello mushrooms are large, about 3 -5 inches in diameter

Both, if carried by your food store, should be located near the white mushrooms.

OK, I will ask at my local supermarket. They do carry a lot of specialty items. It's worth a try. Also, would I be able to make my own dried mushrooms in a food dehydrator if I can't find them anywhere?

Trader Joes and Whole Foods are a couple hours drive from here. I never go there. They would be a last resort.

Last edited:
I dry my own mushrooms all the time. Sometimes i get a little ambitious, and buy too many thinking I'm going to be able to cook them up. But as the week goes on, and I see them starting to dehydrate a little in the fridge, I just cut them up ( or keep them whole) and toss them in the dehydrator. within a day or so, they are good. I then put them in a ziplock and toss them into the freezer ( Im guessing they may stay fresher that way, not sure if its necessary).

So, the simple answer is , Yes, you can dehydrate them. And I think if you cant find the dried ones in your local market, dehydrating your own white mushrooms would be the next best thing.

Carol, this looks like a recipe we would really like, so thanks for posting it.

I have a lot of dried imported porcini mushrooms that I ordered on line, and frankly there's no substitution for their flavor in my opinion. My spaghetti sauce just wouldn't be the same without them. I'm sure you can find the 2 oz. you'll need for this recipe in any supermarket.

I was in the local grocery store today and they do have little .5oz pkgs so I would need 4 of them. I'm going to look around some other places because I won't be making it until Christmas. My MIL's recipe made a whole lot more soup, but this small amount will be good for me. Most of my family doesn't like it because it is sour. The first time I tasted it I expected it to be like Campbells Cream of Mushroom Soup, so I was surprised! LOL The generation of my husband's family that made these old Slovak foods has all passed on and none of the younger ones bother with them. I am trying to keep them up as well as I can, being an English/German girl trying to cook Slovak. When I am gone, they will be just a memory.

Maybe using dried is just because that was available all year and not necessary to the success of the soup. And that soup sounds delicious! Thanks.

I picked up my jar of dried porcini mushrooms this morning at the Polish specialty store in town. I also checked at my local Sure Fine market and they had them in 2 ounce jars for about the same price. Can't wait to give this a try!

Last edited:
Also, if there are any whole foods or trader joe stores near you, I guarantee they will have it.

Cremini look like the typical white mushroo, but they are brown.
Portobello mushrooms are large, about 3 -5 inches in diameter

Both, if carried by your food store, should be located near the white mushrooms.
Cremini mushrooms are called chestnut mushrooms in the UK

Cremini mushrooms are baby Portabellos that haven't grown up yet. They have a lot more flavor than white buttons. :angel:
And they are the same species as the white ones.

When the stores first started carrying them here on the Island of Montreal, they called them "cafe au lait mushrooms". They were only a little more expensive than the white ones, if at all. Now that they are calling them creminis, they are a fair bit more expensive. :wacko:
:angel:

And they are the same species as the white ones.

When the stores first started carrying them here on the Island of Montreal, they called them "cafe au lait mushrooms". They were only a little more expensive than the white ones, if at all. Now that they are calling them creminis, they are a fair bit more expensive. :wacko:
:angel:

Same in my area.

I still find them to be a good value because they have so much more flavor than the basic white button mushrooms. Being uber cheap I always check the marked down vegetable rack at the grocery store, the worse the mushrooms look the better they taste and the cheaper ones always taste better to me than the more expensive ones! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

We order mostly fresh mushrooms and truffles from these folks.

Oregon Mushrooms

Their service is excellent and they do have dried mushrooms.

If you grind dried porcinis in a spice grinder and add it to the broth you are using, you will get the most intense mushroom flavor.

Cremini mushrooms are baby Portabellos that haven't grown up yet. They have a lot more flavor than white buttons. :angel:

I didn't know that! Learn something new every day. So I guess the darker the color the more intense the flavor?

My Grandparents made the same soup, but I remember going "mushroom picking" in the fall for Christmas time. If anyone knows what the mushrooms we might've picked were called, I'd greatly appreciate it so I can make it more "authentic" and pick the mushrooms with my children. Thank you!:)

My Grandparents made the same soup, but I remember going "mushroom picking" in the fall for Christmas time. If anyone knows what the mushrooms we might've picked were called, I'd greatly appreciate it so I can make it more "authentic" and pick the mushrooms with my children. Thank you!:)

Oh dear. Please don't pick and cook any mushrooms unless you know for sure they're edible. Many are poisonous and can be deadly unless you know EXACTLY what they are. Please get a seasoned mushroom guide , preferably a person, first!

Oh dear. Please don't pick and cook any mushrooms unless you know for sure they're edible. Many are poisonous and can be deadly unless you know EXACTLY what they are. Please get a seasoned mushroom guide , preferably a person, first!

Great advice Dawg! :angel:

Back
Top Bottom