Bagel dogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cave76

Washing Up
Remember those? I loved them but they've disappeared from the stores and delis where I live.

Any SIMPLE way to make my own---- say with pre-made pizza dough? Or any other way? I know it won't taste quite the same but maybe close enough for me.

It shouldn't be that difficult. I haven't seen bagel dough available anywhere but you could either make your own or just buy some pizza or bread dough and use that.

I had to Google that one. I've never seen them.
A similar looking item though is hot dogs rolled up in those pastry things... the triangles... I can't think of what they are called. Crescent rolls maybe?

I had to Google that one. I've never seen them.
A similar looking item though is hot dogs rolled up in those pastry things... the triangles... I can't think of what they are called. Crescent rolls maybe?

One of SO's favorite appys is cocktail franks rolled up in a half triangle of crescent roll dough and baked - pig in blankets.

Pigs in blankets. That's it.
I wasn't sure if they used cocktail weenies or cut up hot dogs.
Which reminds me, I need to get a pillow pack of Smith's hot dogs tomorrow.

Thanks for the replies.

Bagel dogs are different from Pigs in Blankets ,at least the ones I've had and made. Those are delicious but not the same thing.

OldVine---- I'll try Winco. Costco? Maybe----I think I looked there but our Costco isn't one of the biggest ones so they may just not stock them, or it's sporadic.

Lacking finding the real deal, I'll try the pizza dough thing but it wouldn't be as chewy.

Bagel dogs at Costco might be a summer item. I don't think I would do bagel dogs at home since I'm sure it's more work than I'm willing to do for the pay off even tho' we like them.
P.S. One of our local Costco stores, is the smallest store in the chain.

OldVine---- that makes sense (being too much work). And a pizza dough wrap isn't going to be anywhere near a good substitute!

Oh, well.

Making a batch of onion bagels right now.

I'd guess you would roll the dogs in the dough then let them rest, boil then bake. It wouldn't be the first time a hot dog was boiled.

I've only made them one time...just last week. I need to make them skinnier with a bigger hole (insert dirty joke here) as they poofed up to much and broke the crust:

bagels1.jpg

Making a batch of onion bagels right now.

I'd guess you would roll the dogs in the dough then let them rest, boil then bake. It wouldn't be the first time a hot dog was boiled.

Andy ----- can you give a recipe that you MIGHT use IF you were going to make bagel dogs. I've never made a bagel.

Here's my current recipe that makes a dozen small bagels. An older version of this recipe is posted in its own thread but with larger quantities to make 18 bagels. After the larger batch of dough broke my mixer I cut the recipe down to a dozen.

You can leave out the onion flakes and powder if you want them plain.

PS: There are lots of recipes online if you prefer.

Onion Bagels

465 Gr Warm Tap Water
1 Pkg Active Dry Yeast
1 Tb Sugar
735 Gr Bread Flour
2 tsp Kosher Salt
¼ C Toasted Onion Flakes
1[FONT=PC&#47749]½ tsp Onion Powder[/FONT]
1 tsp Oil
1 Tb Sugar

Combine the water, yeast, and the sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook (coat the top part of the hook with oil). Stir and let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes depending on room temperature.

Separately combine the flour, salt, onion flakes and onion powder. Turn the mixer on to the lowest speed and gradually add the dry ingredients to the mixer bowl. Mix until the dough comes together. Continue mixing for 10 minutes at speed setting 2 until a stiff dough is formed.

Remove the dough from the bowl and oil the bowl. Place the dough back in the bowl, turning the dough to coat it completely with oil. Place plastic wrap directly onto the dough surface and let it rise in a warm spot until doubled in size.

Preheat the oven to 400º F.

Bring 4 quarts of water and 1 tablespoon of sugar to boiling in the widest pan available (5[FONT=PC&#47749]½-qt. sauté pan). Line two half sheet pans with parchment paper.[/FONT]

Remove the dough from the bowl and knead briefly by hand to deflate it. Using a scale and a calculator, remove 1/12th of the dough from the bowl and form it into a smooth ball then poke your finger through the center of a ball and twirl it around your finger to enlarge it to a 3[FONT=PC&#47749]½-4 inch diameter. Repeat for all the dough. Place the shaped bagels on a floured surface and cover with a towel. Allow it to rest and rise.[/FONT]

Place bagels top down into the boiling water 3 at a time and boil for 1 minute, flipping them over after 30 seconds. Remove the boiled bagels to the baking sheet. Repeat until the pans are filled with six bagels each.

Place the pans in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes or until medium golden brown. Move the pans around from shelf to shelf and turn them front to back during the baking time to ensure even baking.

Cool completely before wrapping for storage.

Back
Top Bottom