What is strip loin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pengyou

Senior Cook
I recently bought a 4 pound strip loin roast. I was not sure what it was, but it was cheaper than tenderloin (price for beef tenderloin in China is US$17 per pound). This was about US$ 11 per pound :wacko: I have googled on this question - some say it is the same as a ribeye, some same as a sirloin. Will the real beef steak please stand up?? It seems to be boneless, if that is any help. What is the best way to cook this - as a roast or as individual steaks? I seldom cook large pieces of meat so am a little anxious about cooking this, but my family's tradition is always to have beef for Christmas dinner. This year Christmas dinner will be this beef for 10 guests. (Note: will have many more dishes along with it, not just the beef :angel:

Last edited:
I recently bought a 4 pound strip loin roast. I was not sure what it was, but it was cheaper than tenderloin (price for beef tenderloin in China is US$17 per pound). This was about US$ 11 per pound :wacko: I have googled on this question - some say it is the same as a ribeye, some same as a sirloin. Will the real beef steak please stand up?? It seems to be boneless, if that is any help. What is the best way to cook this - as a roast or as individual steaks? I seldom cook large pieces of meat so am a little anxious about cooking this, but my family's tradition is always to have beef for Christmas dinner. This year Christmas dinner will be this beef for 10 guests. (Note: will have many more dishes along with it, not just the beef :angel:

Strip loin is the muscle on the outer side of the backbone. The inner side is the tenderloin. It is neither ribeye nor sirloin, but rather the portion between the two.

Cook it like any other tender roast. It is a tender and flavorful cut of meat.

The strip loin is a very good roast. If you sliced it into steaks you'd have NY strip steaks.

I would cook it as a roast. Trying to get 10 steaks cooked while you have guests would be a bit of a challenge. It would be a logistical nightmare trying to serve 10 steaks at once, all nice and warm, and none overcooked. Bringing one roast to the table already sliced, or to carve at the table would be much simpler.

Sorry for the late reply Pengyou. But the "striploin" does not really exist as a cut. It is the meat between the Rib and Sirloin and in England will be sold as either of the two. The best way to cook it is to cover it with crushed peppercorns (and chinese seasonings if you wish) and pop it into your oven set to maximum for 20 minutes. Take it out and let it cool and pop it in the fridge. When you want to serve it get your oven to 220 centigrade and pop it back in for 12 minutes per pound for a lovely rare roast. leave for 15 minutes before serving. This is based on a 2 pound and above joint.

Sorry for the late reply Pengyou. But the "striploin" does not really exist as a cut...

Sorry, I can't agree with this statement. It's available in markets and recognized as a standard cut.

If it's not called that in England, that's a separate issue.

Sorry, but all cuts of meat do not revolve around USA butchers. Go to an English, French, German, European, Thai, Malaysian, Indian Nigerian, etc,etc, etc butcher then you will not find the cut that you describe. Much like you will not find a sloppy joe in those countries as well. Nuff Said.

I agree with Andy. We buy striploin roasts and steaks all the time. It has always been a family favourite either way.

Sorry, but all cuts of meat do not revolve around USA butchers. Go to an English, French, German, European, Thai, Malaysian, Indian Nigerian, etc,etc, etc butcher then you will not find the cut that you describe. Much like you will not find a sloppy joe in those countries as well. Nuff Said.

The steers in England, France, Germany, European,... have the same anatomy as those in the USA and in Asia where the OP resides. So that cut exists. Butchers may not sell that cut or advertise it with the same name but it's there.

I also wouldn't be surprised to find a sloppy joe in another country under a different name.

I am from Canada where a lot of our cuts are similar to Britain.

Just because something is called something else in a different country doesn't make it wrong. It is cultural.

Last edited:
As Andy said strip loin is available all over Europe as it comes from the same area of the cow as it does over here. In Germany it's called Rump Steak, in Italy it's Bistecche di Scamone and in France it's Faux Fillet but it's all the exact same cut.

Hi, OX2 Gooner! Welcome to DC! :) I see you've already started making friends here. It's customary to introduce yourself when joining a forum, especially before making snarky comments ;) Tell us about yourself.

Wow! I sparked an international debate! The meat was quite tasty, well worth the extra $$ here. Beef in China, at the lower to mid end is not very tasty and is usually marinated and pounded and laced with unknown amounts of MSG to make it tender and flavorful.

Tsk! Tsk! No need to attack us. We are a friendly bunch here. But welcome to DC anyway. Please tell us about yourself. :angel:

Who else should it revolve around, since according to you, that cut only seems to exist in US butcher shops? BTW, they exist in Canada too, and seemingly in China, where the OP lives.

I just posted a new question in beef on filet mignon and need some urgent help. Can any of you wise cooks assist?

Back
Top Bottom