Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f115/)
-   -   Christmas Eve Meals for 2013? (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f115/christmas-eve-meals-for-2013-a-88376.html)

Kathleen 12-23-2013 05:49 PM

Christmas Eve Meals for 2013?

I'm planning to do something in the theme of seven fishes again this year.

For an appetizer, I am making sardines baked with olive oil, lemon, pepper and sea salt. I'll place a sprig of rosemary across them while they bake and will serve them with a final squeeze of lemon and a smattering of chives.

For the main, I am making seafood paella. I'm also making the sofrita for the paella, but the tomatoes look a bit anemic. Six of the seafoods will be used: clams, mussels, crab claws, lobster, scallops and calamari rings with tentacles. Peas, three kinds of peppers, and assorted spices along with lemon will be used. I also will be using a seafood stock and found Calasparra rice to use.

For dessert, I am making a basic flan.

Andy M. 12-23-2013 06:14 PM

We don't do a special meal for Christmas Eve. This year we invited some neighbors over for drinks and light finger foods.

Whiskadoodle 12-23-2013 06:47 PM

I just took my shoes off and would like to put my feet up. No such luck.
We had to do "a little last minute" shopping today. 6 hours later, 2 malls, 2 grocers and a few honest little stops, I am indeed home. Just in time to do my part for Christmas eve. Wrap more packages. Make one key lime pie tonight and one banana cream pie. Bananas in the a.m. Cooked custard.

For dinner we are having a roast beef, picked up at Costco the other day, mashed potatoes, glazed carrots, green beans, green salad, popovers.

Jr, his GF, her college age/ teenage boys will be here to celebrate the evening. I brought in wood for the fireplace, and there is cookies and candy and gifts after dinner.

Macgyver1968 12-23-2013 07:17 PM

Sweet!!! the Nigerian woman two doors down just showed up to get us Christmas cookies...and I had hot fresh Snickerdoodles coming out of the oven at the same time...so we got trade cookies...and her kids got to eat my cookies...Im happy as hell.

Oldvine 12-23-2013 07:18 PM

It's always potato soup, bratwurst and buns for Christmas eve dinner.

Rocket_J_Dawg 12-23-2013 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldvine (Post 1330162)
It's always potato soup, bratwurst and buns for Christmas eve dinner.

Pretty close to what we have. Bockwurst with hot potato salad, sautéed red cabbage and lebkuchen for desert. Oh, I almost forgot the Glühwein.

Aunt Bea 12-23-2013 08:08 PM

Kathleen, I'm glad you are keeping the tradition of La Vigilia!

I'm making a pizza and a nice pitcher of Manhattans for me and Santa! :wink:

msmofet 12-23-2013 09:54 PM

Homemade New England Clam chowder
Caesar Salad (with anchovies yum)
Baked Cod
Stuffed Clams
Mushrooms stuffed with clams
Linguini with white clam sauce
Cheddar Bay Biscuits

Apple Pie with fresh whipped cream and/or French vanilla ice cream

Hoot 12-23-2013 10:57 PM

A light dinner tonight here at Casa de Hoot....followed by generous helpings of Kentucky Bourbon!
I ain't gotta go nowhere till tomorrow eve. That will be another story.

Kathleen 12-23-2013 11:43 PM

Andy, are we related? It sounds very much like Christmas eve with my sister and her children (all grown.) :smile:

Whiskadoodle & MacGuyver, I had planned to bake today. Not sure how the day got away from me. :ermm:

OldVine & Rocket_J_Dawg, I love bratwurst, and many foods that surround it! As for potato soup, I have it often. It cures everything here. Sickness, sadness, heart-break, etc. :wink:

Aunt Bea, it is nostalgia. While my grandmother did not do the Feast of the Seven Fishes, we fasted and did not eat meats on Christmas eve. As a child, we were often sent out to for the first star at night to end the fast and have dinner. Back then, dinner might have been oysters or fried shrimp. Potato soup, or even toasted cheese sandwiches with tomato soup. However, those years are long gone as are the people who embraced those traditions. My grandmother had the most fun traditions for all 12 days of Christmas. I so miss that. :smile:

YAY, MsM! You have a better grasp on the feast than I.

Hoot, Kentucky bourbon *does* make all of the difference, doesn't it? :yum: