Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f115/)
-   -   Christmas Eve Meals for 2013? (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f115/christmas-eve-meals-for-2013-a-88376.html)

Kathleen 12-23-2013 04:49 PM

Christmas Eve Meals for 2013?

I'm planning to do something in the theme of seven fishes again this year.

For an appetizer, I am making sardines baked with olive oil, lemon, pepper and sea salt. I'll place a sprig of rosemary across them while they bake and will serve them with a final squeeze of lemon and a smattering of chives.

For the main, I am making seafood paella. I'm also making the sofrita for the paella, but the tomatoes look a bit anemic. Six of the seafoods will be used: clams, mussels, crab claws, lobster, scallops and calamari rings with tentacles. Peas, three kinds of peppers, and assorted spices along with lemon will be used. I also will be using a seafood stock and found Calasparra rice to use.

For dessert, I am making a basic flan.

Andy M. 12-23-2013 05:14 PM

We don't do a special meal for Christmas Eve. This year we invited some neighbors over for drinks and light finger foods.

Whiskadoodle 12-23-2013 05:47 PM

I just took my shoes off and would like to put my feet up. No such luck.
We had to do "a little last minute" shopping today. 6 hours later, 2 malls, 2 grocers and a few honest little stops, I am indeed home. Just in time to do my part for Christmas eve. Wrap more packages. Make one key lime pie tonight and one banana cream pie. Bananas in the a.m. Cooked custard.

For dinner we are having a roast beef, picked up at Costco the other day, mashed potatoes, glazed carrots, green beans, green salad, popovers.

Jr, his GF, her college age/ teenage boys will be here to celebrate the evening. I brought in wood for the fireplace, and there is cookies and candy and gifts after dinner.

Macgyver1968 12-23-2013 06:17 PM

Sweet!!! the Nigerian woman two doors down just showed up to get us Christmas cookies...and I had hot fresh Snickerdoodles coming out of the oven at the same time...so we got trade cookies...and her kids got to eat my cookies...Im happy as hell.

Oldvine 12-23-2013 06:18 PM

It's always potato soup, bratwurst and buns for Christmas eve dinner.

Rocket_J_Dawg 12-23-2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldvine (Post 1330162)
It's always potato soup, bratwurst and buns for Christmas eve dinner.

Pretty close to what we have. Bockwurst with hot potato salad, sautéed red cabbage and lebkuchen for desert. Oh, I almost forgot the Glühwein.

Aunt Bea 12-23-2013 07:08 PM

Kathleen, I'm glad you are keeping the tradition of La Vigilia!

I'm making a pizza and a nice pitcher of Manhattans for me and Santa! :wink:

msmofet 12-23-2013 08:54 PM

Homemade New England Clam chowder
Caesar Salad (with anchovies yum)
Baked Cod
Stuffed Clams
Mushrooms stuffed with clams
Linguini with white clam sauce
Cheddar Bay Biscuits

Apple Pie with fresh whipped cream and/or French vanilla ice cream

Hoot 12-23-2013 09:57 PM

A light dinner tonight here at Casa de Hoot....followed by generous helpings of Kentucky Bourbon!
I ain't gotta go nowhere till tomorrow eve. That will be another story.

Kathleen 12-23-2013 10:43 PM

Andy, are we related? It sounds very much like Christmas eve with my sister and her children (all grown.) :smile:

Whiskadoodle & MacGuyver, I had planned to bake today. Not sure how the day got away from me. :ermm:

OldVine & Rocket_J_Dawg, I love bratwurst, and many foods that surround it! As for potato soup, I have it often. It cures everything here. Sickness, sadness, heart-break, etc. :wink:

Aunt Bea, it is nostalgia. While my grandmother did not do the Feast of the Seven Fishes, we fasted and did not eat meats on Christmas eve. As a child, we were often sent out to for the first star at night to end the fast and have dinner. Back then, dinner might have been oysters or fried shrimp. Potato soup, or even toasted cheese sandwiches with tomato soup. However, those years are long gone as are the people who embraced those traditions. My grandmother had the most fun traditions for all 12 days of Christmas. I so miss that. :smile:

YAY, MsM! You have a better grasp on the feast than I.

Hoot, Kentucky bourbon *does* make all of the difference, doesn't it? :yum:

Aunt Bea 12-24-2013 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathleen (Post 1330219)

Aunt Bea, it is nostalgia. While my grandmother did not do the Feast of the Seven Fishes, we fasted and did not eat meats on Christmas eve. As a child, we were often sent out to for the first star at night to end the fast and have dinner. Back then, dinner might have been oysters or fried shrimp. Potato soup, or even toasted cheese sandwiches with tomato soup. However, those years are long gone as are the people who embraced those traditions. My grandmother had the most fun traditions for all 12 days of Christmas. I so miss that. :smile:

Funny how we remember the traditions and the food more than we remember most of the presents that we received. Holidays should be all about making memories with those we love, Merry Christmas!

Claire 12-24-2013 03:20 AM

My childhood Christmas Eve meal was tourtiere after midnight mass. Since I've moved here, in the past half-dozen or more years, a friend's elderly father comes to visit, and is birthday is 24 December, we go out together. Small town, not always easy to find a place open. Last year we hit upon our local sushi bar/restaurant, and he was thrilled. My husband ordered for him and he scarffed it down. So we're repeating that tomorrow -- oops, I guess it is this afternoon! So, sushi, tempura, tonkatsu, here we come!

Addie 12-24-2013 05:29 AM

My daughter is going to one of her SILs for the typical Italian Christmas Eve feast of seven fishes. When my daughter does it she only does five at the most. It can be very expensive. My daughter makes a pasta sauce with all the fish in it or a fish chowder.

Feast of the Seven Fishes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Her in-laws go all out for this meal. For them it is more important than the meal the next day. They make seven different dishes. I am not Catholic, so I tend to think it is a bit to intense for me. I went to my daughter's one year only and all the rituals the sister's went through were rather different from what I was expecting. :angel:

DaveSoMD 12-24-2013 06:00 AM

I will be picking up some haddock for dinner tonight. We always have fish on Christmas Eve. I think I am going to make some potato and onion pierogi since DH is supposed to still be primarily on soft foods. I might try some beet soup also if I can find my recipe.

Harry Cobean 12-24-2013 11:19 AM

orkney isle scottish lobster,french fries,steamed asparagus & hollandaise sauce.ice cold héritier de la famille castel chablis.comté,murcia al vino pdo & 4 year old vintage canadian cheddar cheeses with west country crackers & warre's otima ten year old tawny port,chilled....bien sur!!

cave76 12-24-2013 11:44 AM

Assorted finger food. That's it. But I love 'grazing' so it's not a bad idea.

pacanis 12-24-2013 11:51 AM

I'm thinking tonight I might recreate the Italian hot dog and disco fries I made the other day. I need beer, so since I have to venture out anyway plans might change.

CatPat 12-24-2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy M. (Post 1330147)
We don't do a special meal for Christmas Eve. This year we invited some neighbors over for drinks and light finger foods.

Don't invite any zombies. They take that finger food thing VERY seriously.

:lol:

We're going out to a Chinese buffet tonight. There will be quite enough cooking tomorrow!

With love,
~Cat

Sir_Loin_of_Beef 12-24-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CatPat (Post 1330343)
We're going out to a Chinese buffet tonight. There will be quite enough cooking tomorrow!

With love,
~Cat

Cat, have you ever seen this comedian's Chinese Buffet routine?

John Pinette "chinese buffet" - YouTube

Sir_Loin_of_Beef 12-24-2013 01:00 PM

I usually make pizzas on Christmas eve, a tradition that dates back more than 60 years, on my Sicilian side. I'll make it on a cookie sheet, thick in the Sicilian style, and load it up with everything I can find in the refrigerator and pantry, such as pepperoni, salami, mushrooms, black olives, and anchovies. Oh, and lotza mozzarella.

CatPat 12-24-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef (Post 1330347)
Cat, have you ever seen this comedian's Chinese Buffet routine?

John Pinette "chinese buffet" - YouTube

That's so funny! Thank you!

With love,
~Cat

bakechef 12-24-2013 05:37 PM

We keep christmas eve quite casual. This year I made homeade pizza. We'll be snacking on cheese and crackers later.

Kathleen 12-24-2013 09:37 PM

3 Attachment(s)
So I went with my original menu. I love baked sardines, but it was the one dish that disappointed. I wish I could find a better quality sardine source. The frozen sardines that I found were okay. I just think sardines are not popular enough here for the stock to turn over. As a result, the sardine dish was okay, but not good enough to keep the leftovers.

The seafood paella turned out even though my paella pan was really too small for the amount of seafood. We do have enough leftovers to enjoy several lunches. Does anyone know whether paella freezes?

The flan turned out tasty. With the fire in the fireplace, a relaxing Christmas eve while tracking Santa via NORAD. :santa:

Hope everyone is happy and with loved ones tonight.

taxlady 12-24-2013 09:38 PM

2013-12-24 Xmas Eve Supper

I tried out this recipe, but I only made two for myself. Baked Eggs and Mushrooms in Ham Crisps Recipe | Epicurious.com

I didn't have any fresh tarragon, so I skipped that. It was still very tasty. It wasn't nearly as pretty as in the picture. I think I will try this again and start tweaking it.

And for dessert: microwave fudge. It's PF's fault. She said she was eating fudge, so I wanted some and found this quick recipe. It's cooling in the fridge. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

mmyap 12-24-2013 09:51 PM

I'm doing a seafood stew, french style with mahi, bass, shrimp and clams. The broth has saffron and and you finish with a splash of Ouzo (could not find Pernod.)

Garlic bread for dunking and a rum cake for later.

I found out something interesting today. I used to use mussels for this but you can't find mussels in Hawaii anymore. They worry that somehow they will make their way into the ocean and kill the reefs so they can no longer be imported. Who throws live mussels into the ocean? Your guess is as good as mine.

Best wishes for a wonderful Christmas Eve to you all.

I just realized, what a wonderful variety of options we have. No rules! No stress! Enjoy.

PrincessFiona60 12-24-2013 10:02 PM

Ritz "Everything" Crackers with cream cheese and deli corned beef. Fudge for dessert. Simple and no stress.

Somebunny 12-24-2013 10:05 PM

Simple dinner here tonight too. Too many last minute preparations for tomorrow. So, grocery store deli chicken baked French fries and green salad. I had a piece of cranberry fudge for dessert. ;).

We have never had a tradition for Christmas Eve :(.
A co worker was telling me today that a few years ago they started having a theme night for the meal they have been sharing with friends for most of the past twenty years ( their family lives across the country) so they have foods from different countries this year is American food. I admit to giggling when he told me, wondering out loud what they would serve. I guess it was decided that the appetizers would be mini corn dogs and a couple other things I can't remember.... the main course would be hamburgers French fries, and potato salad. It would be kind of hard to choose foods that were strictly American.

Kathleen 12-24-2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Somebunny (Post 1330449)
We have never had a tradition for Christmas Eve :(.
A co worker was telling me today that a few years ago they started having a theme night for the meal they have been sharing with friends for most of the past twenty years ( their family lives across the country) so they have foods from different countries this year is American food. I admit to giggling when he told me, wondering out loud what they would serve. I guess it was decided that the appetizers would be mini corn dogs and a couple other things I can't remember.... the main course would be hamburgers French fries, and potato salad. It would be kind of hard to choose foods that were strictly American.

That sounds like so much fun! How about buffalo stew with cornbread? New England clam bake? Shrimp and grits? What an awesome idea. Roasted wild turkey on sourdough? Mmmm. :yum:

taxlady 12-24-2013 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmyap (Post 1330445)
I found out something interesting today. I used to use mussels for this but you can't find mussels in Hawaii anymore. They worry that somehow they will make their way into the ocean and kill the reefs so they can no longer be imported. Who throws live mussels into the ocean? Your guess is as good as mine.

Best wishes for a wonderful Christmas Eve to you all...

Best wishes to you for a happy holiday season and joyous Xmas.

Even if no one intentionally throws them into the ocean, accidents can happen. A container could break on the wharf and they could fall over the edge. Something could happen to a ship. A container might not be quite empty of live mussels when it gets cleaned and the mussels could get rinsed into the ocean.

taxlady 12-24-2013 10:57 PM

The fudge is delicious.

Harry Cobean 12-25-2013 02:54 AM

6 Attachment(s)
orkney isle scottish lobster,halved & baked with chilli/garlic butter,french fries,steamed asparagus & hollandaise sauce for dipping.yum!didn't weigh the lobbie but the knife in the first piccie is a full size sabatier "v" series chefs knife.i reckon mr lobsta was over 1kilo/2.5lbs.certainly enough for the two of us.the héritier chablis was dry,flinty & lemony,just how i like it:yum:!gonna buy a case or two of that,when tesco open tomorrow,while it's on offer at a third off:wink:!.right,i'm off to chester to visit mum,so bottoms up & merry christmas to one & all,ho ho ho!