Classic Turkey Dinner. Under $2.00 per person...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocklobster

Master Chef
I got thinking today while I was clearing up the supper left overs and dishes. We ended up having a cancellation of GF's son and kids, but with everything I cooked, we could have easily fed a dozen people. After a quick calculation of what I bought for this dinner, I came up with a total of around 22 bucks before drinks of any kind. Mind you, I bought most of the things on sale, leading up to xmas. But, still, it is one of the most economical meals to feed a crowd. Lots of bang for the buck. When you think of such a classic feast, you would think it would come with an extravagant price tag, but on the contrary it does not. GF and I spend more money on steak night for just the two of us...

Here is a quick break down. I think if somebody had a big family, or lots of mouths to feed it would be the way to go many times a year.:LOL:

Turkey 14 pounds......on sale at 75 lb.....10.75
Potatoes 10 lb..........................................1.79
Frozen mixed vegetables 1 Kilo..................2.99
Loaf of bread for dressing...........................1.99
Cranberries.................................................1.00
Flour for gravy, 1/4 cup.................................35
Miscellanea...celery, onion, butter, savory.....3.00

Total............................................................21.87

21.87 divided by 12 = 1.82

Give, or take a few cents per serving that is pretty good value...need to hit the couch, now.
Gotta go sleep this one off.....

Last edited:
I feel the same way, I buy stuff when it's on sale. Feeding 8 people a really nice meal on Thanksgiving wasn't really all that spendy at all. Mine came in a bit higher with desserts, but cooking pretty much everything from scratch can save you a lot of money.

I feel the same way, I buy stuff when it's on sale. Feeding 8 people a really nice meal on Thanksgiving wasn't really all that spendy at all. Mine came in a bit higher with desserts, but cooking pretty much everything from scratch can save you a lot of money.
And when you take into account the number of meals you can run up from the left overs it gets even better.

Wow what incredibly helpful and timely post with Thanksgiving right around the corner. Great breakdown of costs by the way as well. Will definitely use this as my template to savings success. Really does cover all the bases, just would add home made gravy usign the turkey fat that pretty much has no cost. Now we are talking!!

Back
Top Bottom