Yea! Finally!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Addie

Chef Extraordinaire
Before The Pirate showed up Tuesday to spend the New Year with me, he stopped by The Market Basket and picked up some sandwich goodies. One of them was a loaf of "All Natural" Artisan Rustic Tuscan Pane. Finally, a bread I actually like. It had flavor and doesn't ball up into a rubbery mass inside your mouth. Nice large holes, and a crusty, crust. The kind of bread I grew up with. It will be on my grocery list come Monday and forever after. :angel:

Before The Pirate showed up Tuesday to spend the New Year with me, he stopped by The Market Basket and picked up some sandwich goodies. One of them was a loaf of "All Natural" Artisan Rustic Tuscan Pane. Finally, a bread I actually like. It had flavor and doesn't ball up into a rubbery mass inside your mouth. Nice large holes, and a crusty, crust. The kind of bread I grew up with. It will be on my grocery list come Monday and forever after. :angel:

I've had that bread. It is really good.

I've had that bread. It is really good.

Andy, this is the bread that all my friends Noni's made when I was growing up. It was the bread that you sopped up the last of the pasta sauce on your plate with. I don't like the crust on bread, but for this one, I eat the whole slice. :angel:

Andy, this is the bread that all my friends Noni's made when I was growing up. It was the bread that you sopped up the last of the pasta sauce on your plate with. I don't like the crust on bread, but for this one, I eat the whole slice. :angel:
I mostly make my own bread but if I come across a good baker I'm inclined to buy bread there. I have my car serviced in a small town about 12 miles away and when I go there 2 or 3 times a year I visit the local baker's shop, which has always sold THE most delicious bread, and buy different types of bread to go in the freezer. It's the sort of bread you can quite happily and absent-mindedly nibble away at until you suddenly realise you've eaten the whole loaf with no butter or jam or anything. Or, at least, it was.

So I took the car in on Wednesday and bought a load of bread and sat in the car and chomped on a bread roll. Ugh. Not the same at all. The shop is still in the same family but I wonder if they have a new baker? The bread was boring and tasted not much better than mass-produced stuff in fact Morrison's supermarkets in-store bakery produces more interesting stuff.

Really disappointing.

I mostly make my own bread but if I come across a good baker I'm inclined to buy bread there. I have my car serviced in a small town about 12 miles away and when I go there 2 or 3 times a year I visit the local baker's shop, which has always sold THE most delicious bread, and buy different types of bread to go in the freezer. It's the sort of bread you can quite happily and absent-mindedly nibble away at until you suddenly realise you've eaten the whole loaf with no butter or jam or anything. Or, at least, it was.

So I took the car in on Wednesday and bought a load of bread and sat in the car and chomped on a bread roll. Ugh. Not the same at all. The shop is still in the same family but I wonder if they have a new baker? The bread was boring and tasted not much better than mass-produced stuff in fact Morrison's supermarkets in-store bakery produces more interesting stuff.

Really disappointing.

Looks like you will have to go on the hunt for another bakery. Everyone in the forum knows I do not like bread. Specially white. But this old world bread is what I remember as a kid. If you had an Italian grandmother, this bread I found is what she made. Like you, I will stop and take a piece of bread and eat it while I am doing laundry or dishes. Even the crust. My son was so surprised to see me eating the crust. My crusts always went out the back door for the birds. Looks like they will have to find their food elsewhere now. :angel:

We have little to no access to bread like this in our area. In fact crusty bread in these parts is considered inferior and loaf type white bread is the staple.
Might be because many have false teeth.....LOL

We do have Publix and Panera bread in town. I know Publix makes good bread. Does anyone know about Panera Bread?

Usually when I find good bread, I remove most of the insides and enjoy the crust. To me, bread is the crust.

Last edited:
We have little to no access to bread like this in our area. In fact crusty bread in these parts is considered inferior and loaf type white bread is the staple.

We do have Publix and Panera bread in town. I know Publix makes good bread. Does anyone know about Panera Bread?

Usually when I find good bread, I remove most of the insides and enjoy the crust. To me, bread is the crust.

Panera is known for their breads. They are made right there on the site. :angel:

Crusty bread with bite to it is easier to eat with dentures...soft white bread just becomes gummy and balls up. Crackers and crisp cookies over soft cookies for the folks with dentures, so much easier to eat.

Crusty bread with bite to it is easier to eat with dentures...soft white bread just becomes gummy and balls up. Crackers and crisp cookies over soft cookies for the folks with dentures, so much easier to eat.

Exactly! That is why I hate white bread. :angel:

I go out of my way to get our breads from Panera for soups, and dinners where bread is an important component. Around here it's really good.

My sister and I used to go to the one in Everett. I always ordered their soup de jour in a bread bowl. And of course I couldn't leave without a loaf. Panera was also one of the very first that provided free wifi. So you go a lot of college students that would sit there doing their research or homework. All the time eating their goodies. Sure beats having to get up and go to the fridge and discover nothing there you really wanted to eat. :angel:

Panera has very good bread.

Pretty much any decent grocery store will have something to offer. They'll also likely carry the gummy stuff too!

I moved to a rural town to work in a new store that my company was opening. Every day there would be people banging our crusty bread and ask us why we were selling "old" bread. We had a very hard time selling crusty bread in that store, that and any cheese that wasn't orange...

Pretty much any decent grocery store will have something to offer. They'll also likely carry the gummy stuff too!

I moved to a rural town to work in a new store that my company was opening. Every day there would be people banging our crusty bread and ask us why we were selling "old" bread. We had a very hard time selling crusty bread in that store, that and any cheese that wasn't orange...

And here in my town, it is always white Land of Lakes cheese that sells like mad. Most of the folks who stand at the deli counter with their number in their hand are just waiting to buy the LOL cheese. So now you can buy a half or full pound of precut in the ice bin right across from the deli counter. The deli counter no longer displays it in the cooler window. My store has an in-store bakery. One time I wanted a loaf of round bread for a muffalata sandwich. I had to wait while they baked it for me. It was still hot when I got to the checkout. :angel:

.... I know Publix makes good bread. Does anyone know about Panera Bread?

It's more like "Paner-ah!". Very good. :yum: Good enough to eat even the insides. They opened one about 4 miles from our home and I've very fortunate I haven't gained 10 pounds...a month. :LOL:

In case you think I exaggerate, I offer Exhibit A:

And Exhibit B:

Attachments

• 2014-01-18 21.44.39.jpg
    2014-01-18 21.44.39.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 224
  • 2014-01-18 21.45.43.jpg
    2014-01-18 21.45.43.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 246
There is no Panera here...but it would not be able to compare to our Le Petit Outre

I am addicted to the Kalamata Olive rolls, with a slice of sharp cheddar...best thing ever! And their pizza dough.

Last edited:
You're right PF, as good as Panera might be, it still can't equal a real bread baker's bread. However, Panera is about 4 miles away. Any real bread bakery is at least 11 miles away. Then there's the one 17 miles away. But our very favorite "local" bread baker is a whopping 29.5 miles away! Rose32 Bread has a wood-fired brick oven and make the crustiest breads with the best-textured "guts" we've ever had. Looks like we need to make a road trip there soon. As soon as I use up the 2 1/2 loaves of bread worth I just put into the freezer. :LOL:

We have a French bakery down the street but I rarely go, I head home in the opposite direction.
http://www.lafarmbakery.com

He's doing a class at the new kitchen store, but it is sold out. Hopefully he does another, if he does I'll be there!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Last edited:
If you ever come to Syracuse stop at the Columbus Baking Company, make sure you buy two loaves because the first one won't make it home!

They have been at it for over 100 years in the same location. When I was young and broke they were open 24 hours a day and we used to stop in for a loaf of warm bread after a night on the town, it was fifty cents a loaf back then.

About Columbus Baking Co. : Columbus Baking Company

Sorry, but I have no idea.

I go out of my way to get our breads from Panera for soups, and dinners where bread is an important component. Around here it's really good.

Thanks Andy, Maybe now I can get bread that i really like. We have been relying on Publix, but the closest store is almost 30 miles away.

I can imagine. This is one reason they are not going to build any Publix stores near us. I have called their corporate office and was told that the demographics in my area would not support a Public store.
Even the store we do have in the state are not as busy as the Publix's were back home in S. Florida.

It's more like "Paner-ah!". Very good. :yum: Good enough to eat even the insides. They opened one about 4 miles from our home and I've very fortunate I haven't gained 10 pounds...a month. :LOL:
In case you think I exaggerate, I offer Exhibit A:
And Exhibit B:

I'm sold Goddess. Panera it is. Maybe today? Only 16 miles.

Yes, I am lucky that my favorite bakery is just up the street. Close enough I can get it fresh every day.

That would be nirvana to me. I can dream though.

If you ever come to Syracuse stop at the Columbus Baking Company, make sure you buy two loaves because the first one won't make it home!

They have been at it for over 100 years in the same location. When I was young and broke they were open 24 hours a day and we used to stop in for a loaf of warm bread after a night on the town, it was fifty cents a loaf back then.

About Columbus Baking Co. : Columbus Baking Company

Your sig seems to indicate you are in Mount Pilot? NC? You are aunt Bea after all.

Back
Top Bottom