Charcuterie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigC

Master Chef
I'm just starting into this realm. I've made many versions of fresh sausage. I will be trying a dry cured sausage (pepperoni) as my first of this type. I also intend to make fermented varieties as well. Anyone else involved?

I've thought about it, but haven't jumped in. Are you using a book? I follow Michael Ruhlman's blog and he's talked about it: Food Safety and Common Sense for Charcuterie | Michael Ruhlman

He also wrote a cookbook called Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing; it's on my Amazon wish list, along with Salumi: The Craft of Italian Dry Curing ;)

It'll be fun to follow your adventures in cured meat! :)

Yes, I have that book. I also got the after market dies for our KA sausage kit. I have some experience on temperature and humidity control from keeping arboreal boids.

Please be sure to post your results/adventures. I love the idea of having control of the ingredients. I love charcuterie, but, there's stuff in it that I wouldn't choose to eat. I do get some really tasty salami in the style of Rosette de Lyon that is organic and fairly local. It costs $53.99/kg ($24.51/lb), so we don't buy it often.

I have this book #72104 Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing Book & Making Sausage at Home DVD but not the DVD.

I have debated taking the plunge and building a dry cure box, but haven't yet.

I have a bunch of proportional thermostats, small heaters and humidifiers already. Used to have a small fridge, but it was sold at a yard sale. I needed a bigger one anyway, without the freezing area.;) My first step is to modify a fridge and test run (sans meat) it through a curing period, making sure that temps and humidity can be maintained properly.

The Pirate's FIL used to make his own. He came from Italy. He started in January and by the time Christmas came around, anyone who knew him, waited for the sausage to arrive all wrapped up. He had half of the cellar dedicated to it. I always got a couple of sopasatas. He is very old now and his family is all grown and moved out. So his wife is very sick and he spends all of his time taking care of her. I miss those sausages. :angel:

I sometimes visit a Danish grilling forum. They do a fair bit of curing and smoking. One of the members is a professional butcher who has made some nice YouTube videos.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom