Cookie baking sheets -- things to look for

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cave76

Washing Up
Opinions on what the best types of cookie sheets are? If possible, but I won't exclude them, avoiding the non-stick types.

Are the ones with a slightly raised lip handier?

Not too expensive but I know you get what you pay for.

I've tried all kinds of baking sheets... sheet pans, airbake, non-stick, silicon mats, etc and hands down the best cookie sheets I've ever used are made by Doughmakers. They have a pebbled finish and cookies don't stick. They are not coated with a non-stick surface that has to be babied. The have a lip on one side for easier handling, stack flat and are bullet proof. They come in several sizes and will be the last cookie sheets you ever buy.

here's an example but they are available in many places: Doughmakers Grand Cookie Sheet, 14" by 17.5" : Amazon.com : Kitchen & Dining

I'm not too "up" on cookie sheets mostly because I am still using the ones I began housekeeping with in 1968. They are actually jellyroll pans but, to borrow Alton Brown's philosophy, they aren't unitaskers. They do just fine for plain old cookies, too, along with bar-type goodies and an occasional pizza.

Someone gave me a couple of the airbake type and they didn't ring my chimes, so they hardly get used.

Can't suggest any but I'm interested in hearing from those who have recommendations.

SO and I also use aluminum (plain uncoated aluminum, nothing fancy) half sheet pans for just about everything. When needed, as for bagels, I use parchment paper. They're cheap, easy to clean and versatile. You can get racks that fit in them that also double as cooling racks. Cost for the pans - about $5 to $7 at a restaurant supply store. Slightly more at retail outlets.

Thanks for the thoughts. Do you think that cookies getting too brown on the bottom is a problem with my oven or the cookie sheet? (I have a not great apartment electric stove.)

Thanks for the thoughts. Do you think that cookies getting too brown on the bottom is a problem with my oven or the cookie sheet? (I have a not great apartment electric stove.)

What kind do you have? Foods cooked in/on dark-colored pans will brown more quickly than in light-colored pans.

SO and I also use aluminum (plain uncoated aluminum, nothing fancy) half sheet pans for just about everything. When needed, as for bagels, I use parchment paper. They're cheap, easy to clean and versatile. You can get racks that fit in them that also double as cooling racks. Cost for the pans - about $5 to $7 at a restaurant supply store. Slightly more at retail outlets.

Yes Yes! They are that price in my restaurant supply store as well, they will have the cooling/roasting racks that fit perfectly in them.

They are cheap and will last forever, mine get used multiple times a week, for anything and everything.

I have the same half sheet pans from Sam's Club. I use them for pizza, cookies, bar cookies, chicken, fish, etc. They are great! Easy to clean, fit in my dishwasher too.

I found quarter sheet pans at the restaurant supply, they fit in the toaster oven. They get used a lot by us since we just cook for two.

Cookie sheet differences can make a difference in the results. If the oven is OK that's what I would guess is the sheets are the problem. Next time bake them higher up in the oven.

Andy---- I'll try putting the cookie sheets higher in the over---- sounds like a plan. I don't always use my cookie sheets for cookies----- sometimes for frozen french fries or such.

I bought an oven therm. and my oven seems to be in range even after testing it at many temps and length of times.

Beats my first oven in a rental many many years ago----- the only way I could regulate the temp was by how much I left the oven door cracked open! LOL A wooden spoon handle's worth, or the spoon part. I got fairly adept at that and was able to even cook cakes in it. But it took a lot of guess work!

I use insulated cookie sheets ans never have a problem with cookies being too brown on the bottom. They cook much more evenly.

Dark colored sheet pans brown the bottom quicker than light colored sheet pans.

We have a hodge podge collection as I am not the baker around here. My wife is.
I saw a nice set at Costco during the holidays.
They were aluminum and very well made. Heavy duty, but AL is lightweight in itself.

I almost bought them, but figured they would just add to the heap of sheet pans already in service.
Had I been starting a kitchen, I would have for sure bought them.

What would be the size for a half sheet vs a full sheet pan? I am not sure what the ones I looked at where?

I was taught, back when there were dinosaurs, in home ec that it was better to bake cookies on cookie sheets, the ones with open corners and open at one end. The ones with sides all the way around were referred to as jelly roll pans.

Has anyone found this to be true? When I have to use a jelly roll pan to bake cookies, I flip it over so the sides don't interfere with air circulation. Now I am wondering if it actually makes any difference.

I was taught, back when there were dinosaurs, in home ec that it was better to bake cookies on cookie sheets, the ones with open corners and open at one end. The ones with sides all the way around were referred to as jelly roll pans.

Has anyone found this to be true? When I have to use a jelly roll pan to bake cookies, I flip it over so the sides don't interfere with air circulation. Now I am wondering if it actually makes any difference.

I use half sheet pans and have never noticed a difference between the cookies near the edge vs. the ones in the middle.

Back
Top Bottom