Sunday Dinner January 5th 2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

forty_caliber

Admiral of the Texas Navy
Moderator Emeritus
Enormous pot of red beans and rice to share with friends and family at our house today. Mrs 40 C wanted a double batch...had to get down the 12qt All-Clad stock pot.

Boneless pork loin on a bed of kraut with some onions, carrots and dried mushrooms thrown in.

Wish I had some of that soggy pecan pie for dessert! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

A little while ago I put a huge Boston butt in the oven. I liberally coated it with a variety of herbs and spices and put lots and lots of little garlic slivers in it. Smellin' pretty darn good right now. We'll have baked sweet potatoes and steamed Brussels sprouts as out sides. Hot tea to drink and, of course, more Christmas sweets for dessert.

We had family Sunday Dinner today. Jr called yesterday and said they are driving into the city and they would stop by. I asked how ‘bout lunch/ dinner. I asked them to pick up his mom on the way. Otherwise she is here faster than it takes to warm up the car.

Baked chicken and biscuits, turn out an additional recipe hot buttermilk biscuits on the side so there was plenty, honey and home-made tart cherry jelly. Scalloped corn casserole. Marinated sliced cukes, ( my summer pickles in winter), with halved and whole baby tomatoes, a few small onion rings, and one diced avocado added just before serving.

I put a pinch each of thyme, sage, and dried rosemary in the gravy sauce. I used quick blanched carrots, onions, frozen cauliflower and peas, fresh cooked green beans and there were still fresh peapods from Christmas that were still crisp as veggies with the chicken mixture.

For dessert we had cookies and ice cream. I knew Dx would bring cookies. She just does this-- Have cookies, will travel.

Another quickie meal here. Spent the day cleaning up Christmas and DH has been fiddling with the kitchen faucet that is leaking. We'll do up hot dogs and beans.

As it's Sunday we nearly always have a roast dinner. Tonight it was a pork loin which I cooked according to Julia Child's covered roast pork recipe. Marinated in herbs, allspice and salt for 6 hours or so, then sealed and cooked in a covered roaster at 325 with onions, carrots and a little red wine. The OH said it was the best pork joint I'd ever made and as I've been cooking for her for over 30 years I'll take that compliment, thank you!

I just pulled a bunch of cold cuts and cheeses out of the fridge. I have half a recipe of pizza dough in the fridge from last weekend. It smells great! Now I need to find a good recipe for pizza sauce. I don't make it often, so I don't have one at hand. Hm. But I do have a marinara sauce I like. Maybe I'll just use that. Okay, off I go! ;)

We are going out, just don't know where yet. I'm kind of in the mood for Asian, but don't know if it fits in my gallbladder diet. Sushi might be better.

I just made an Armenian meatloaf with a couple of russets baking along side. I par cooked some sugar snap peas and will sauté them with some mushrooms and onion.

I'm not really hungry. The nachos with jalapenos I had this afternnon has held me over pretty well, as hot things will do. I do have the fixings at the ready for chimichitos and they don't take long if the mood strikes me.

Silly me, I've cooked so much food over the last couple of days, I ended up going to the store for the makings of French bread pizza.

I'm glad I did. The bread was bigger than my cutting board, and so huge and soft and ....

Now I have half the loaf (lengthwise) buttered up for garlic bread in the freezer, and the other half loaded for more yummy pizza meals. Dinner was crusty and soft and oh so perfect.

I managed to get 4 things out of the fridge making Arby's French Dip with Mushroom and Barley Soup! Quite tasty, bery filling.

I was thinking of making roasted vegi bisque, but Stirling would rather have pasta Alfredo, so that's what it will be. We ate some bagels and aren't quite hungry yet.

What a pleasure to be served a home cooked meal, and have a free night!

Steve did a wonderful stir fry with shrimp, bell pepper, white onion, mushrooms and fresh asparagus pieces with a "secret" sauce and topped with candied sliced almonds.
The only thing I did, was put the Jasmine rice on to cook.
I think I'll keep that man!

Still shaking off the fog of our long drive back yesterday/today. Getting too old for these straight-through drives. I did a terrific job of heating up a can of soup, and made grilled cheese sandwiches for us. Himself had a full sliced tomato sandwich while I split up my fillings, making one half with tomato and the other with bread and butter pickles.

We split a Cobb salad and a Hebrew National hot dog at the Dallas airport. Horrendously expensive, but surprisingly tasty!

Back
Top Bottom