ISO tips/ideas for homemade cocktail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yummy_food

Senior Cook
Anybody knows how to make a home made easy and yummy cocktail? Margarita would be the best but open to other ideas

My parents drank gin martinis. It was "their cocktail". I like those, but I really like Margaritas. It's what Stirling and I call "our cocktail". I prefer the ones we make at home to most bar Margaritas. Here's my recipe: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f121/taxladys-margarita-recipe-88583.html#post1334545

Another really tasty cocktail is the Brandy Alexander. It's particularly nice to drink with coffee after supper. I'll post that recipe soon.

Anybody knows how to make a home made easy and yummy cocktail? Margarita would be the best but open to other ideas
Back in the seventies, in the house in Menorca, we used have a "sundowner" which comprised Campari, Dry Cinzano vermouth and orange juice over ice and thought ourselves s-o-o sophisticated. Can't remember the proportions of the components. It was very refreshing and not sweet and cloying or "take me home in a wheelbarrow" as a lot of cocktails tend to be. Can't remember it's name.

Nowadays I'm not really a cocktail girl but I am partial to a glass of chilled Tio Pepe, a brand of fino sherry. Just the ticket as an aperitif before dinner when a cocktail might take the edge off your appetite

Last edited:
Hell's teeth, Craig, did they have a special ward in the local hospital for the sufferers from that one? It sounds absolutely lethal!

Its one of those that goes down easy and you might find yourself into a second or third, never realizing!:ohmy:

1 part each rum, gin, vodka, triple sec, and tequila mixed with 2 parts sweet and sour liquid mix. Glass should be 2/3 to 3/4 full of mixture over ice cubes. Top with a splash of Coke to finish filling glass, quick stir to mix. Should look kind of like iced tea, AKA Long Island Iced Tea. I mix up a batch of everything but Coke and keep in fridge to have when I want one.

I did a search on the forum for Sweet and sour recipe and came up empty. At our favorite Mexican restaurant they make a Texas margerita with Sweet and sour mix they get from Sysco (Fin Cal). I can't find it anywhere. Anyone have a good S & S mix recipe?

One of my favorite cocktails is the Cosmopolitan, aka a Cosmo: Perfect Cosmopolitan Cocktail Recipe

I like sweeter drinks, so I use cranapple juice instead of cranberry juice and sometimes I use lemon-flavored vodka. You know, I might just make some limoncello so I'll have it for when temps warm up in the spring.

Love LI Ice Tea and Cosmos! Been awhile since I had Planter's Punch, but loved that too. My favorite margs are the ones that use fresh lime juice, not sweet and sour or Rose's Lime, too sweet for me.

When we go out, we like Rob Roys, a scotch manhatten.

White Russians are good, 2 or 3 parts vodka, 1 part Kahlua, top with cream :yum:

Last edited:
This is another dangerous one. It was popular in Montreal in the '70s & '80s. It's called a Sloe Comfortable Screw.

1 ounce sloe gin
1 ounce vodka
1 ounce Southern Comfort.

Put it in a tall glass with ice cubes. Fill with orange juice. Serve with straws.

Tastes lovely, but goes down far too smoothly. You forget it has booze. ;)

This is another dangerous one. It was popular in Montreal in the '70s & '80s. It's called a Sloe Comfortable Screw.

1 ounce sloe gin
1 ounce vodka

Put it in a tall glass with ice cubes. Fill with orange juice. Serve with straws.

And if you add Galliano, it makes it a Slow Comfortable Screw Up Against the Wall :LOL: (Galliano is a liqueur used in Harvey Wallbangers).

I was a bartender while in college during the late 70's and early 80's. We served a lot of interesting cocktails.

Last edited:

1 ounce sloe gin
1 ounce vodka

Um, it was a popular drink in Michigan during that time, too. I haven't thought about that in ages... ;-)

I tended bar too, for about five years in the '80s. If you add tequila and Galliano, it's a slow comfortable screw up against the wall in Mexico. Those two additions don't improve the drink. I think they were just added for the name.

I knew a bartender who claimed that as part of his final exam from bar tending school they had to invent a cocktail and that was when he invented the first version.

A really nice one I discovered this Christmas called a 'Holly Berry' ( very festive but doesn't have to be "just" Christmas) is;
2 parts Rose Vermouth
1 part Cranberry juice
1 part Ginger Ale ( or sparkling white wine if you prefer)
Ice

Very Elegant and perfect before Dinner

Back
Top Bottom