Using granite countertop as 'pastry board'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
For the last 25 + years, Ive been using a marble pastry board to roll out my dough.

I keep the board in a cabinet that stores my cutting boards , rolling pins etc...

I dont use it often, maybe once or twice a month.

Now that I have gotten older, clumsier and a little wiser, I know it's just a matter of when before I accidentally drop it on the floor, smack it into one of my new cabinets or even on my foot.

I use it too infrequently for it to occupy permanent residence on my countertop.

So, my question is, can I just use the granite countertop to roll out my dough, with out scratching the surface or dulling the finish ? Or is this just a bad idea ??

Larry

I don't think you would have a problem rolling out dough on granite. Just make sure the sealer that was used is food grade or food safe. If the granite wasn't sealed I wouldn't be using it as a work surface. Granite is porous and it could stain or get a dull spot from the dough.

Look at the marble slab you've been using. Allow for any scratches that are from stuff stored on top. Is the surface dulled?

I have a quartz (fake granite) countertop and roll out dough on it. No issues so far.

I roll dough out on my granite all the time. It keeps the dough cool. I don't baby my granite since it's merely a smooth stone work surface and does what it's told. If it gets a scratch, I wouldn't care. Just like my husband doesn't care when point wears off his irrigation shovel. Tools are supposed to show signs of wear, it's good for them and the user too.

Look at the marble slab you've been using. Allow for any scratches that are from stuff stored on top. Is the surface dulled?

I have a quartz (fake granite) countertop and roll out dough on it. No issues so far.

LOL for an instant, I thought I was getting a fake quartz countertop.

But my countertop is ground up porcelain, glass, mirrors, and stone scraps in a corn based resin. No quartz in it. My first priority for my countertop was it had to be NSF (National Sanitation Foundation) certified.

Granite is not NSF certified.:shock:

My baking is pretty much limited to Pizza crust and right or wrong, I use my granite counter top every time.

I'd be scared of dropping that marble slab on my foot Steve. I'd get rid of it myself.

As long as the counter surface (whatever it is), is clean, sealed, and scratch resistant, you can safely roll out your dough, fondant, whatever.

I do it all the time. Just don't use a knife on it!!! I use my bench scrapper with no problem. I clean it with glass cleaner.

I have one of these and it's awesome!
CHEFS Silicone Pastry Mat | CHEFScatalog.com

This silicone mat makes rolling out stuff so easy, I like the measurements. The silicone surface keeps dough from sticking, pie dough will peel right off, without using too much flour. The mat rolls up for easy storage.

Do you really get your dough and pie crusts rolled out into one of those perfect circles? :angel:

I use my granite counter top for pastry, works great. Even fill a plastic bag with ice and water to chill it first.

Absolutely use my granite for rolling out pastry and kneading dough. Just a word of caution tho.... There are different grades of granite, I probably wouldn't do this on granite that had obvious voids. Not so much for food safety(people have used stones for cooking since time began) but because of cleaning issues.

I gave my dad a marble pastry "slab." I planned the size so that it could be stored in the freezer so that it was out of the way and cold when he is ready to use it.

I'm very ignorant of granite counters, as all the kitchen and bathroom counters here are marble. I ordered 2 of these cutting boards from Amazon to use for rolling out and cutting.

Amazon.com: Extra Large Poly Cutting Boards Non-Skid Surface *NSF Listed*: Kitchen & Dining

I did have wooden ones, but I learned that they can become full of bacteria over time.

With love,
~Cat

Actually, that's backwards. Wooden boards kill bacteria by drying them out while plastic and melamine boards can harbor bacteria, even after running through the dishwasher:
http://faculty.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/faculty/docliver/Research/cuttingboard.htm

If you have marble counters, use that for rolling out and baking. Your dough needs to be kept cold and marble and granite do that naturally.

Don't use marble, granite or glass for meats and veggies, though. They're too hard and will damage your knives.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom