Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Pies & Pastries (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f40/)
-   -   I Don't Want To Use Cool Whip! (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f40/i-dont-want-to-use-cool-whip-88690.html)

Andy M. 01-16-2014 11:14 PM

I Don't Want To Use Cool Whip!

SO's sister from FL is visiting and mentioned peanut butter pie. It's a real simple recipe.

Cream cheese, peanut butter and Cool Whip. Blend the cream cheese and peanut butter then fold in the cool whip and put it into a graham cracker crust and freeze. There are variations on how you can decorate the top.

My question is this: If I make whipped cream with powdered sugar and vanilla as a substitute for Cool Whip and fold that into the pie, will it hold up or break down and turn watery?

PrincessFiona60 01-16-2014 11:16 PM

Is it served frozen?

Dawgluver 01-16-2014 11:19 PM

I think I'd stick with Cool Whip, SO's sister might notice that it isn't "quite right". And Cool Whip won't break, no matter what!

Andy M. 01-16-2014 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 (Post 1337013)
Is it served frozen?

According to SIL, it's frozen then after it's served it goes in the fridge. So I assume the freezer is for setting the mixture.

Andy M. 01-16-2014 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawgluver (Post 1337015)
I think I'd stick with Cool Whip, SO's sister might notice that it isn't "quite right". And Cool Whip won't break, no matter what!

I despise Cool Whip and won't use it. That's why I want to know if I can substitute for it.

PrincessFiona60 01-16-2014 11:23 PM

Hmm...if it was served like an Ice Cream Cake, I would use the whipped cream.

Buy the Cool Whip that says it has cream in it.

Addie 01-16-2014 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy M. (Post 1337017)
I despise Cool Whip and won't use it. That's why I want to know if I can substitute for it.

Have you read the list of ingredients? All chemicals!!! I don't blame you. I would go for the real whipped cream. Make a small one and see what happens. Those preformed graham cracker crusts in the foil pie tin are quite small. You just may find that it won't last long enough to worry about leftovers. Just serve large pieces to everyone. :angel:

Dawgluver 01-16-2014 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy M. (Post 1337017)

:lol: Just this once? For SO's sister? You can do it, Andy!

taxlady 01-16-2014 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawgluver (Post 1337024)
:lol: Just this once? For SO's sister? You can do it, Andy!

Ew, gross. No, not just once. Especially if he has to make it. It's not the same thing as being gracious and eating it at someone else's house.

Dawgluver 01-16-2014 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taxlady (Post 1337026)
Ew, gross. No, not just once. Especially if he has to make it. It's not the same thing as being gracious and eating it at someone else's house.

:lol: :sigh: Food snobs. What can ya do.

I like Cool Whip, especially the one made with real cream. Thinking I may try this recipe as is!